Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advices about reasonably reliable KVM big storage providers in Europe
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Advices about reasonably reliable KVM big storage providers in Europe

abravoabravo Member
edited March 2016 in Providers

I am looking for a backup space.

Biggest data swap will be from/to a seedbox, otherwise smaller data to/from dedis and also home.
I'm interested in some level of storage reliability for reasonable price, and without oversized computing capabilities, because I will not serve www content, just some webdav access, besides ssh/sftp/rsync.

Storage reliability means that I exclude budget dedis from OVH/Kimsufi, Online.net, Hetzner and such. My understanding is that a VPS running on top of RAID10 arrays is safer than two disks on an Hetzner or Online dedi.

I use OVH cloud storage also, but it's Openstack cloud, so there's the lack of real filesystem structure, it's faked ok, but there's no ease of data management like in an unix console on a filesystem.
FTP/SFTP/webdav accounts sold recently by Hetzner as "storage box" are nice and cheap but they are not shell accounts.

I want encryption capabilities, with loop containers like linux luks/dm-crypt, freebsd geli, openbsd vnconfig, so the VPS must be KVM , so a nice openvz provider like time4vsp is excluded.
Last, it must be in Europe, with exclusion of european servers owned by american providers, so offers like _BuyVM _ are out of question.

I see that german providers Contabo and Servdiscount/Myloc have nice looking offers, but they look too good for the price, with huge ram and many cpu cores. So there must be a catch somewhere.

Big french providers like OVH and Online are now focused on high performance disk/cpu VPS, and do not sell big storage. OVH offers VPS cloud elastic storage but it's very expensive.

I did used couple years ago Backupsy, but even with the lifetime 40percent coupon, they are more expensive and less reasonable horsepower than the two only budget providers than I can see, after looking for a while:

• transip in NL

• prometeus, with available storage plans in NL.

transip hasn't big storage plans, but offers optional disks 2TB for 10€, to connect to the VM.

any advices and other providers?

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

We are Canadian :P

Francisco

• How about netcup?

• @Francisco:
    my bad! so, good, and indeed, that matches the whois record, and I have read the TOS just now.

I need a KVM from 1TB storage, so your Storage1000 is good, but when I will need more disk your Storage2000 is expensive compared to Transip and Prometeus.
    Anyway I was about to order a Storage1000, but it's sold out at the Lux DC ...

• abravoabravo Member
    edited March 2016

@shafire:
    thanks. I didn't catch Netcup in my search. Anyway now I see it is former Preuß & Werner.
    Their biggest plan Root-Server XL is with 640GB storage, but I need from 1024GB and they bill extra space 0,05€/Gb.
    Also they show similar configurations than Contabo and Servdiscount/Webtropia, huge computing specs (24gb ram, 8 cores) it feels weird to me.

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

ZXplay has KVM storage plans in Germany if i remember @AshleyUk

Thanked by 1chrisp
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2016

abravo said: My understanding is that a VPS running on top of RAID10 arrays is safer than two disks on an Hetzner or Online dedi.

It's even safer to replicate across two machines, ideally in separate locations. If you order two KS-2A from Kimsufi (an OVH brand) then you get 1 TB of space for $20 EUR/mo; you could rsync from one machine to the other every night or something.

Edit: you can also get 2TB RAID1 on BK-4T from SoYouStart (another OVH brand) for $25 EUR/mo.

Edit: oh, I re-read what you said; why would VPS on RAID10 be "safer" than RAID1 on a dedicated server? RAID1 on two disks gives lower failure probabliity (assuming same disks, which is a big assumption, but OVH and others usually provide decent disks) than striping across more disks. Of course both are still less reliable than replicating your data across two physical servers.

• @Jason_HOSTBD24:
    thank you. ZXplay plans do look good.

@perennate:
    well, a VPS provider runs many VM on every single server. My idea is that these servers are of higher reliability than the cheap ones at OVH/Online/Hetzner. But true I have never investigated closely the technical data.

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited March 2016

I've been looking for something basically the same for a while. I can get fixed storage of x amount anywhere, but it seems really hard to find places where you can expand your storage for reasonable prices. I've been meaning to try transip as well, it seems like they boast unlimited 10EUR per 2TB up to 400TB(?). They don't seem to mention if there is any sort of redundancy though, maybe someone else knows? If there is it may be perfect for my needs(and maybe yours?) and I'll probably go buy it.

• TionTion Member

Netcup will kick you for P2P.
    Servdiscount is Webtropia. Both Webtropia and Contabo have a reputation of being very unstable.

• FalzoFalzo Member

while not getting that pov on basing reliability I can recommend @AshleyUK's zxhost services for sure. probably you should specify how big is big.
    as already recommended prometeus storageline or hosthatch storage vps come to mind too.

• @abravo said:

If you have any questions feel free to ask, I am sure we have a plan for your requirements.

• ehabehab Member
    edited March 2016

@abravo go and listen to what ^AshleyUk says.
    i recommend him

• @AshleyUk
    thank you. As said, your plan do look interesting, excepted that I don't need processing power (1gb ram, 1 core are enough). Just > 1tb storage, and maybe soon 2tb.

I signed with an offer from @harisp ie. http://pielayer.com for a 1gb ram+1core+1TB disk+4TB traffic. DC is Accelerated in Frankfurt. Have played with it and it behaves good until now, maybe a bit slow network speed but my bad, I forgot to ask about connectivity ...
    I will know later, in a few days if I stay or move elsewhere.
    Ashley, I guess your servers are on 1Gbps links?

• @abravo said:
    @AshleyUk
    thank you. As said, your plan do look interesting, excepted that I don't need processing power (1gb ram, 1 core are enough). Just > 1tb storage, and maybe soon 2tb.

I signed with an offer from @harisp ie. http://pielayer.com for a 1gb ram+1core+1TB disk+4TB traffic. DC is Accelerated in Frankfurt. Have played with it and it behaves good until now, maybe a bit slow network speed but my bad, I forgot to ask about connectivity ...
    I will know later, in a few days if I stay or move elsewhere.
    Ashley, I guess your servers are on 1Gbps links?

No problem, glad you found somewhere, and we can of course do custom plan's if you do not require the CPU resources, that is what I mean by my earlier comment of a plan for your requirement's.

All of our node's are connected via 2*1Gbps links in a bond to redundant switches on a 10Gbps backbone.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Could the Providers drop me also there Storage offers?

• @abravo at the moment VPS is capped at 100Mbit however in following weeks we will upgrade all of our platform in Germany to 1Gbit default for VPS services :)
    @Neoon Offer sent as requested

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

We have been using TransIP for a fair few months now for our monitoring server data storage requirements (SSD cached with the VM's SSD) and Backup storage.

So far very good. Only issue has been a ~6 hour Big Storage outage (described as a hardware failure). The VM itself has been reliable.

• @Setsura said:
    I've been looking for something basically the same for a while. I can get fixed storage of x amount anywhere, but it seems really hard to find places where you can expand your storage for reasonable prices. I've been meaning to try transip as well, it seems like they boast unlimited 10EUR per 2TB up to 400TB(?). They don't seem to mention if there is any sort of redundancy though, maybe someone else knows? If there is it may be perfect for my needs(and maybe yours?) and I'll probably go buy it.

the dutch site of Transip transip.nl is more informative than its english translation transip.eu.
    Their storage pool is on RAID-Z arrays (ie. ZFS, so probably running on FreeBSD):
    https://transip.nl/vps/big-storage/
    also their offer, in NL only, a cloud service, so I guess they have a reliable storage infrastructure for all their services.

I bought one month of 1tb disk/4tb traffic in a Frankfurt DC from @harisp, and it's good, but I forgot to ask about the link speed, and I have uploads ongoing now at 1,7MB/s, so it will take 6 days to move my data there (from a box connected at 10Gbps). It's ok for me, but in case data must be moved fast, it can be a problem.

as additional safe for storage only, Hetzner is cheap: up to 10TB for 39,99€ with SFTP, CIFS, DAV access, I experience speed, ~3,4MB/s. For comparison with time4vps.eu; 25MB/s. All this still from the same 10Gbps linked box that I have elsewhere. I will keep Hetzner FTP account as an extra safe in the long run, but I will leave time4vps as a unix box, because it's OpenVZ so fuse and dm-crypt are not possible.

I have to ask Transip about prices for extra traffic by chunks of 1TB, because that's the problem with their plans. A unix box for storage mainly doesn't need much cpu and ram, so their 10€ X1 plan https://transip.eu/vps/#x1 is enough, but it comes with 1TB traffic only. Their 20€ X4 https://transip.eu/vps/#x4 with 5TB traffic is then needed in case you have to fill/empty the extra 2TB storage in a reasonable time and not in two months...

• @SplitIce @Setsura

so I have signed with Transip, for a X4 plan (4gb ram, 150gb disk, 5tb traffic).
    Nice and simple control panel and all BSD iso already available also (I run OpenBSD where possible).
    From the 10Gbps server where most of my data to be transfered lays, I see ~10MB/s speed to Transip.
    I will buy 2tb extra storage, but I wait for support to answer a ticket about VAT. Their ordering and billing interface doesn't compute VAT, and I am outside EU, so I don't have to pay VAT. Hetzner's ordering system does compute that parameter, and it's checked against the CC bank, OVH/Kimsufi and Online do adjust the billing in control panel upon submission of utility bills (phone, electricity). So i'll see how Transip does it.

• They probably would manually remove it for non-EU people, or I'd hope anyway. I'll have to try it out soon too.

• Transip: so the ticket to administration asking about VAT was answered after a couple hours. VAT is no longer computed in the control panel.
    I ordered a 2TB extra storage for 10€, and it was connected in few seconds.
    Nice service.

• DETioDETio Member
    edited March 2016

I wouldn't recommend going for KVM VM's for Storage unless you've got some serious sensitive data that you need encrypted, Instead I would use something like

https://www.backblaze.com/ - Which can be managed in a nice web interface. (For example 10TB is $50.00/mo, what a bargain?)

For really large storage, they are 20-30x cheaper than AWS and are very reputable.

If encryption is that important for you, it's probably safer going Baremetal anyways - I would recommend Packet in that scenario ($36.5/mo dedicated server) + their block storage service which costs around $0.07/mo/gb (which is around 10x more than BackBlaze)

Edit: Just noticed you want it in europe, well what I've suggested doesn't suit that I guess.

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

I myself currently have three VMs in Frankfurt, two with @AshleyUk and one with @harisp.
    All are running very solid and reliable. Didn't have any severe problems yet. Together they form a decent HA cluster in the heart of Europe. Support is really good, cannot say anything bad about neither @AshleyUK nor @harisp. So either choice will be a good choice. If you only need one VM, it's not easy to decide. :)

Thanked by 1bersy