Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Plex Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Plex Server

CoastHostingCoastHosting Member, Host Rep

Hey can anyone do a decent deal west coast US for a plex server?

Comments

• IshaqIshaq Member

Plenty of deals, see https://lowendbox.com

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

What are you looking at exactly?

A VPS? KVM, OpenVZ? A dedicated?
    How much ram? HDD? etc.?

We need more information to help you!

• I wouldn't run a Plex server on a VPS. I currently have two Hetzner auction servers running a Plex server for my friends/family and it handles 30 + concurrent streams without issue.

• ehabehab Member

@Gerrard8 said:
    I wouldn't run a Plex server on a VPS. I currently have two Hetzner auction servers running a Plex server for my friends/family and it handles 30 + concurrent streams without issue.

please share the server specs? thanks in advance

• wepwepwepwep Member
    edited March 2016

@Gerrard8 said:
    I wouldn't run a Plex server on a VPS. I currently have two Hetzner auction servers running a Plex server for my friends/family and it handles 30 + concurrent streams without issue.

Unfortunately, Hetzner is unusable from the US west coast imho. I just canceled a server because the stream was buffering all the time. I haven't found any hetzner alternative in the US. They offered an i7 with 16gb memory and 2x3TB for 34eur/month.

• @wepwep said:
    Unfortunately, Hetzner is unusable from the US west coast imho. I just canceled a server because the stream was buffering all the time. I haven't found any hetzner alternative in the US. They offered an i7 with 16gb memory and 2x3TB for 34eur/month.

Delimiter has good offers. @MarkTurner and @mikeyur can help you :)

I don't think you will find the same amount of storage but they will make a good offer.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • If your connectivity to EU is that bad you may want to consider tunneling all traffic through a VPN in the US that has good network to both your location and the server, may be one on the east coast. I bet it's much cheaper to get OVH/online/hetzner + OpenVZ in the US than a lowendedi with that much disk in the US, let alone West coast.

• wepwep said: Unfortunately, Hetzner is unusable from the US west coast imho.

Mike can get your sorted in LA, drop him an email at [email protected]

• Gerrard8Gerrard8 Member
    edited March 2016

@ehab said:
    please share the server specs? thanks in advance

Intel Core i7-3770
    16GB RAM
    2x3TB
    1Gbit NIC

Currently 11 people streaming and CPU usage is 58% average and memory is 66% (none plex applications using majority of RAM).

Thanked by 2geekalot ehab
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

Gerrard8 said: Currently 11 people streaming and CPU usage is 58% average and memory is 66% (none plex applications using majority of RAM).

I'm guessing that's with audio transcoding?

• @trewq said:

7 direct plays and 4 transcoding 1080 movies.

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • Use emby. :)

• Just installed Plex on a dedibox with C2750, 2 concurrent user from east coast with 1080p transcoding seems fine.

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

@Gerrard8 said:
    Currently 11 people streaming and CPU usage is 58% average and memory is 66% (none plex applications using majority of RAM).

Yes, those hetzner boxes can handle quite a lot of abuse without wincing.

• Can i have access to the plex server? Running out movies to watch on my pc.

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

@cosmicgate said:
    Can i have access to the plex server? Running out movies to watch on my pc.