Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many backups are enough? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How many backups are enough?

13»

Comments

• backup of a backup of a backup of a backup of a backup of a backup of a backup of a backup of a backup of a backup of a backup of a backup of a .... BACKUPCEPTION!

• TheZealousTheZealous Member
    edited March 2016

What backup solution(s) do you guys use for your dedicated server and VPS? Are there any polls on this matter to see who currently provides the best backup solution out there? Solutions here can be software such as Veeam... R1Soft etc...

• AmitzAmitz Member

GunjanTripathi said: I always consider below methods for backing up data files:

Full backup: Take backup of the whole data.

Incremental backup: Files and folders that have been modified or created after the former backup.

Oh, really?

Thanked by 2netomx daily
  • can never have to many backups :)

• MunMun Member

I think the question is not just about how many locations based copies, but rather how far the backups go.

I personally take daily backups for highly important servers which have a rapidly changing data. For all other servers I take weekly backups.

All backups are currently ported to one backup server.

The backups are kept for 15 days before deleting.

That means I have always have 2 backups for less important servers, and upwards of 14 for more important servers to fall back to.

In the future I wish to add another server to the mix that will copy from my other server via syncthing.

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Hello,

To answer the question straightly i'd say having two copy of your data is enough + archive (data exists four times). But i also think each case has its strategy.

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2016

Backup number above standard 1 on-site / off-site backup directly depends on paranoia level :)

Thanked by 1sandro
  • MultiStarsMultiStars Member
    edited March 2016

I keep 4 backups for my server, using incremental backup method, It doesn't take much disk space.

• 3 copies, at least. Everytime! Lost everything before, not going to happend again.

• 1 x Remote
    1 x Home

@raindog308 said:

• VPS creates a local stage .tar.gz of everything I want to backup, then encrypts and sftps to the backup server. I know best practice is "backup every file on the system" but for VPSes I am pretty comfortable I know what I need to backup so I have a list of top-level directories.
    • on the backup server, the backup user (different for each VPS of course) is chrooted and can only run sftp (not a general shell)
    • backup server changes files to read-only after 5 minutes

I've just setup a remote backup server and used many of your awesome ideas, so thanks!

Thanked by 1daily