Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alternatives to Solus for KVM - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Alternatives to Solus for KVM

2»

Comments

• pricing structure, billing support, etc.?

• DETioDETio Member

century1stop said: pricing structure, billing support, etc.?

Billing is handled by WHMCS & more integrations coming after like Blesta and Hostbill.
    Support is included in the pricing.

Thanked by 1century1stop
  • century1stopcentury1stop Member
    edited March 2016

@DETio ETA for Blesta, Hostbill, supported linux distribution, documentation, virt platform, etc.?
    why not use flat rate per month/license, owned option?
    EDIT:: from the look of it, more like OnApp and not SolusVM, right?

• DETioDETio Member
    edited March 2016

century1stop said: ETA for Blesta, Hostbill, supported linux distribution, documentation, virt platform, etc.?

why not use flat rate per month/license, owned option?
    EDIT:: from the look of it, more like OnApp and not SolusVM, right?

DET.io Minified Edition is more of a SolusVM alternative - its basically on-par with DigitalOcean/Vultr's Panel.

DET.io Complete Edition is more like OnApp yes, however both are based on Cloud principles such as allowing users to Self-Serve, Scale On-Demand.

The operating system distributions we support for our IaaS includes:

Ubuntu, CentOS, CoreOS, Fedora, Debian, OpenSuse & Windows

Which covers the majority of needs, these are one-click, ready and offer an additional layer of monitoring.

For other operating systems, we support ISO's (Complete edition) - which allows users to upload an ISO to their Storage account under a bucket called 'ISO' - which is then accessible in the VM Creation process. Another thing the complete edition supports is the 'Packaged VM' which is also stored in the Storage account and allows users to basically package a vm in its state and then in the future either revert back to it or deploy a new vm from that template.

The provider sets a price for Storage costs, so users will also be paying for storing ISO's/Packaged VM's - no waste of resources.

The virtualization platform currently supported is: Full Virtualization - KVM, Containers- Docker

Docker is deployed on either bare-metal OR inside a KVM VM. With docker, users can search from the cloud platform for applications which utilizes hub.docker.com in order to return results, and can then select the exact app they want and it deploys it for them.

Documentation: We will release all the required DOCS when we launch our Automated Launcher platform which installs the platform and configure everything automatically, in the mean time we can manually install the platform for you.

Regarding our pricing, we find this model much more sufficient as the smaller your setup is - the less you have to pay. For example, a 'per server' license can be unfair as some providers may utilize 32GB or even 8GB servers while others may utilize 128/256GB RAM servers.

Thanked by 1century1stop
  • @DETio said:
    Regarding our pricing, we find this model much more sufficient as the smaller your setup is - the less you have to pay. For example, a 'per server' license can be unfair as some providers may utilize 32GB or even 8GB servers while others may utilize 128/256GB RAM servers.

any plans for hostbill ? imo virtualizor module of hb is fked up badly and they dont seem to care. If only i had bought the dev license of it...

• @DETio said:

Have you thought about a hybrid model? Like $x per GB or X per server, whichever is lower. I have a server for personal use, it has 192GB of ram, that means your cheapest plan for me is $48/m. That is significantly higher than Virtualizor or SolusVM. You might price yourself away from any of the big players who use large servers with that pricing model.

• DETioDETio Member

HackedServer said: Have you thought about a hybrid model? Like $x per GB or X per server, whichever is lower. I have a server for personal use, it has 192GB of ram, that means your cheapest plan for me is $48/m. That is significantly higher than Virtualizor or SolusVM. You might price yourself away from any of the big players who use large servers with that pricing model.

Sure, we could employ a maximum cost per server especially for early adopters.

• DETioDETio Member
    edited March 2016

Caster said: any plans for hostbill ? imo virtualizor module of hb is fked up badly and they dont seem to care. If only i had bought the dev license of it...

Hostbill isn't top of our priority because our platform strips away the billing as much as it can anyways - the only reason we use WHMCS Is because of the following:

1. WHMCS Supports a lot of payment gateways
    2. WHMCS allows you to sell additional products side-by-side Cloud Servers.
    3. WHMCS has a nice admin area & allows you to use whatever support platform you like.

Technically users don't really see the billing platform, because they sign up from our application (Which subsequently creates an account in WHMCS) - and the app offers a one-click login into WHMCS which allows users to add credits etc. We have a theme that you can upload into WHMCS to make it look exactly like our app.

From there, our application calculates costs and removes credits from the account as required.

So really, there is no point paying all that extra money to hostbill (unless you have an owned license..) since we strip away most of the other functionality that makes hostbill expensive.

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

virtualizor

proxmox

feathur

• Feathur.com's development will continue so soon, so keep checking as it supports KVM and OpenVZ.

Virtualizor.com - +1 for it too!

• smansman Member

I am still not clear about what happened with certificates. At a minimum I think they need to add a note to their documentation about updating noVNC certificates. If it's just a one time thing that is no problem. Still not clear to me if it is or not.

• @DETio>; @DETio said:

So really, there is no point paying all that extra money to hostbill (unless you have an owned license..) since we strip away most of the other functionality that makes hostbill expensive.

So let me understand this you don't have a flat fee paid each month or something? and what is the minified vs complete? and is there a owned license that can be bought?

• solusvm nvnc cert.pem need to be updated every time you renew/change a certificate

• DETioDETio Member

@timnboys said:
    DETio> DETio said:
    So let me understand this you don't have a flat fee paid each month or something? and what is the minified vs complete? and is there a owned license that can be bought?

Minified is basically DigitalOcean / vultr functionality (you can see the comparison with the table I uploaded in this thread earlier)

Complete is more like a full cloud provider like AWS and such.

We are looking into a flat fee model per server not for the whole software (so either per GB or per server can be used), owned license per server is also possible but again not for the whole software as we benefit from working with bigger clients and that would strip it away completely.