Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need dedicated/resource pool with 24/32GB RAM for my bachelor's thesis
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need dedicated/resource pool with 24/32GB RAM for my bachelor's thesis

ShigawireShigawire Member
edited March 2016 in Requests

Hello together,

I am just beginning my bachelor's thesis, for which I need a machine that has at least 32 Gigabyte of RAM.

I am planning to integrate an Elasticsearch cluster and other fancy stuff that likes eating RAM for breakfast.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to a machine with so much memory and my university is very unflexible with providing hardware - apart from that I am not sure if they even have a place with 32GB of unused RAM.

I don't need a dedi, but I must be able to split up the resources into smaller parts, i.e. VMs.
I need no/not much network performancd at all.

Alas, using Pay as you go services that don't bill resources when the machines are turned off won't work. This is going to be a 60hours per week project, probably more, so it will become expensive quickly.

In the name of research, are there any ideas how to get away with this relatively low costs?

I would need these resources for a bit more than two months. I like the online.net servers, but the setup fees are a little bit the deal breaker here.

Comments

• RyanDRyanD Member

Seems to be exactly what you need

https://www.wholesaleinternet.net/cart/?id=277

Dual Xeon E5, 32GB ram, 240GB ssd - $49/month

• @RyanD said:
    Seems to be exactly what you need

https://www.wholesaleinternet.net/cart/?id=277

Dual Xeon E5, 32GB ram, 240GB ssd - $49/month

Wow. Well, that's definitely a nice deal. But dual E5 and only 32G,does that go together?

And why does this offer not appear on their website?

• zezezeze Member

Have you seen Hetzner's ServerBidding?
    https://robot.your-server.de/order/market
    Cheapest server with 32gb is around EUR32. they even have a 48gb one for EUR44.
    no setup fees. Other than that, They have EX40, i7-4770 with 32Gb DDR3.

Then install proxmox/vmware/etc. and run your VMs.

Or, try arubacloud, 1EUR/1CPU, 1GB VMs - get 32 VMs, = EUR32/mo

• We have a Dual L5630 in Atlanta with 24GB of ram for $49/m. +$10/mo to bump that to 48GB ram. https://cc.delimiter.com/cart/dedicated-servers/

Another option would be OVH's Public Cloud, they have 'high ram' instances for like ~$40/m and can do hourly billing, but it's cheaper if you reserve the instance for the month. Might work out a lot cheaper if you only need it a couple days a week though. https://www.ovh.com/us/cloud/instances/ram.xml

• FalzoFalzo Member

that would probably be wholesaleinternet, if they restock that opteron with 32GB for $35, includes 5 IPs as well.

besides that hetzner auctions cheapest 32GB is at around 32 € at the moment...

• BeardyUnixGuyBeardyUnixGuy Member
    edited March 2016

(UPDATE: Haha! I see I was beaten to the Hetzner suggestion)

Check out the Hetzner Server Auctions! I see 32GB RAM boxes starting at 32euro ($35).

No setup fees on these systems, but remember to do a few hardware checks before you decide to keep the one that you've won.

• Thanks for your suggestions. I am from Germany, so Hetzner will be the price you are seeing +19% VAT for me :)

The OVH public cloud is not soo attractive I think.

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2016

We have Dual L5630 32GB 1TB or 240 SSD 20TB @ 1Gbps Bandwidth DDoS mitigation $48 per month PM me if you interesting.

• Shigawire said: Thanks for your suggestions. I am from Germany,

Why don't you ask yur supervisor/department? Usually they should be providing you with the resources you need.

Also look at AWS, students get like $100 free credit. I don't know into how many server hours that translates though

• VyprNetworksVyprNetworks Member
    edited March 2016

Seems like an important project I wouldn't recommend wholesale for sure but Hetzner or Delimiter sounds more reasonable in sense of security.

Thanked by 1mike0000
  • gsrdgrdghd said: Why don't you ask yur supervisor/department? Usually they should be providing you with the resources you need.

German bureaucracy at it's finest. Probably takes weeks to approve... No thanks.

VyprNetworks said: Seems like an important project I wouldn't recommend wholesale for sure but Hetzner or Delimiter sounds more reasonable in sense of security.

Thanks for the insight.. Although, the Dual E5 is tempting.
    Not worried about security too much - i'll dockerize everything and open source my results in the end, anyways. Not too sensitive data being processed, aswell.

• MadMad Member

I highly suggest @key900 (LetBox) and @mikeyur (Delimiter).

Alternatively you can take a look at WholeSaleInternet, QuickPacket.

Thanked by 2letbox mike0000
  • rincewindrincewind Member
    edited March 2016

Don't discount your university just yet. The mechanical dept usually has the best compute clusters - for CFD simulations. 32GB RAM is just peanuts for them. Talk to grad students and professors. Some labs have private clusters that you can borrow. Maybe you can bypass university approval if you talk to faculty. (UPDATE: Lab resources may have simpler approval process than university resources).

You can cut down your memory needs by using the right tools. Look at vowpal-wabbit and FlashX. Out-of-core implementations use low-memory, and SSD is cheap. Avoid Java if you can - it just hogs memory.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

If you are willing to prove it is for your thesis I can do you a reseller account for 3 months for €32 p/month on a KVM node.

You would get 32GB ram up to 16 VPS and up to 16 IP's.

Regular price would be €55 EUR but I can discount it in the name of research as above.

• iffiiffi Member

As @rincewind said, it would be very abnormal if your Supervisor can't get the Ressources you need. Of Course, you cant say "Pay my Bill form Hetzner/Amazon/LEB/..." but you can ask to get X instances with your need. As I myselfd are a German IT-Student myself I know that Compute Power is always available, you just have to ask more than one person (Admin/"anderer Lehrstuhlinhaber" (perhaps Pattern Recognition Department/ CE-Students) or ask the Physics/Mediacal Department)

• ShigawireShigawire Member
    edited March 2016

@rincewind said:
    Don't discount your university just yet. The mechanical dept usually has the best compute clusters - for CFD simulations. 32GB RAM is just peanuts for them. Talk to grad students and professors. Some labs have private clusters that you can borrow. Maybe you can bypass university approval if you talk to faculty. (UPDATE: Lab resources may have simpler approval process than university resources).

From what I've heard, the university provides a single Hyper-V VM, without the networking stuff necessary for my project.

@AnthonySmith said:
    If you are willing to prove it is for your thesis I can do you a reseller account for 3 months for €32 p/month on a KVM node.

You would get 32GB ram up to 16 VPS and up to 16 IP's.

Regular price would be €55 EUR but I can discount it in the name of research as above.

That would be really nice! I have not officially begun the thesis, as this is the preparation phase, but I've composed a 10-page exposé that has been approved by my professor already, if that's enough.

I don't even need 16 VMs/IPs, 6-8 should suffice. Then again, if internal networking is possible i can even cut it down to 2-3.

iffi said: As @rincewind said, it would be very abnormal if your Supervisor can't get the Ressources you need. Of Course, you cant say "Pay my Bill form Hetzner/Amazon/LEB/..." but you can ask to get X instances with your need. As I myselfd are a German IT-Student myself I know that Compute Power is always available, you just have to ask more than one person (Admin/"anderer Lehrstuhlinhaber" (perhaps Pattern Recognition Department/ CE-Students) or ask the Physics/Mediacal Department)

Admittedly, I haven't directly asked yet. I would be willing to pay for the resources myself, so I am more independent. I will discuss this with my professor, however. It's just that I don't really want to waste my time with the german bureaucracy - I've experienced that to a great extent at my university before.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Shigawire said: That would be really nice! I have not officially begun the thesis, as this is the preparation phase, but I've composed a 10-page exposé that has been approved by my professor already, if that's enough.

I don't even need 16 VMs/IPs, 6-8 should suffice. Then again, if internal networking is possible i can even cut it down to 2-3.

Nice one, when you are ready just drop me an email: inbox (the email symbol goes here) inceptionhosting.com

The cost is based around the ram, the Ip's are not a big issue so you have the flexibility if you want it.

I can set you up a KVM & OpenVZ reseller account in the USA, or a Xen & OpenVZ reseller account that you can use in NL/UK, or I can split it up so you get 16GB in each, entirely up to you.

Ant.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran
    edited March 2016

Guys, you obviously didn't understand the point of this whole thread, he's looking for a free server. Everything is too expensive.

Thanked by 2rm_ netomx
  • If you are going to run ES Cluster then you probably want the nodes on private IPs rather than public ones.

Also if you're going to be doing any decent throughput on it, you DONT want a single disk. Your performance will be sucky.

If you're going to use a dedicated server then you need multiple disks either assign one disk per ES (assuming the data is not required to be protected) or stripe them. But having 2-3 instances hitting a single disk can get really slow.

Another option is to use a cloud service so that you get better disk performance and have one node per instance.

• RyanDRyanD Member

@MarkTurner said:
    If you are going to run ES Cluster then you probably want the nodes on private IPs rather than public ones.

Also if you're going to be doing any decent throughput on it, you DONT want a single disk. Your performance will be sucky.

If you're going to use a dedicated server then you need multiple disks either assign one disk per ES (assuming the data is not required to be protected) or stripe them. But having 2-3 instances hitting a single disk can get really slow.

Another option is to use a cloud service so that you get better disk performance and have one node per instance.

In a small deployment like this, multiple ES instances on a single SSD is not going to be "slow". Sure, if it's a traditional spinning sata with say maybe ~100 iops of potential, then yes.

It looks like near everything here he's looking at would be SSD based so that isn't really a concern.