Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to stop bash on centos to normal ssh root command?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to stop bash on centos to normal ssh root command?

gooddaygoodday Member
edited December 2011 in Help

Hi Guys,

I really need help. Just sign up for xen vps with centos. When ever i login in via ssh, it always give me a -bash-3.2# command which I know nothing about. How do I stop this bash# to just normal (([root@server1 ~]# ))

Thanks and good day,
D

Comments

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

That sometimes happens when you are out of memory.

• Anyone caring to share? Been search for the whole day and still stuck?

Are you caring enough to read our responses?

• Infinity,

I read you comment, but this is a fresh vps and I haven't install anything yet. I tried selecting different shell types, and I even get more confused. Read Aldryic suggested page, but don't know what is going on. :) I send in a support ticket , but don't think I will get anything back soon until monday or tuesday. Thanks again Infinity!

• Copy the .bashrc and or .profile (depending on the version you are using, it could be .bash_profile you are looking for) from another vps of yours to your new shell (located in your home directory).
    It's not bug or something ... you just have to setup your bash look-and-feel.

@goodday said: Thanks again Infinity!

No problem. If it's a new VPS then follow what @SwordfishBE said.

• @goodday

Damn, can you follow the link from aldryic?

• AldryicAldryic Member
    edited December 2011

The page I posted was a guide on how to customize a shell prompt, since I take it that's what you were wanting to do.

From my own .bashrc:

RESET="\[\\e[1;0m\\]" BLACK="\[\\e[0;30m\\]" RED="\[\\e[0;31m\\]" GREEN="\[\\e[0;32m\\]" BROWN="\[\\e[0;33m\\]" BLUE="\[\\e[0;34m\\]" PURPLE="\[\\e[0;35m\\]" CYAN="\[\\e[0;36m\\]" LIGHTGRAY="\[\\e[0;37m\\]" DARKGRAY="\[\\e[1;30m\\]" LIGHTRED="\[\\e[1;31m\\]" LIGHTGREEN="\[\\e[1;32m\\]" YELLOW="\[\\e[1;33m\\]" LIGHTBLUE="\[\\e[1;34m\\]" LIGHTPURPLE="\[\\e[1;35m\\]" LIGHTCYAN="\[\\e[1;36m\\]" WHITE="\[\\e[1;37m\\]" export PS1="\n${WHITE}-${BROWN}\t${WHITE}- ${BROWN}\H${WHITE}:${LIGHTGRAY}\w${WHITE} :: ${BROWN}\u ${WHITE}% ${RESET}"

The result:

• Hi Aldryic,

I have no ideas what those code means:) Sorry, just show I'm really a novice! Now i need to edit the .bash_profile that is similar to my other vps.

====

.bash_profile

Get the aliases and functions

if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
    . ~/.bashrc
    fi

User specific environment and startup programs

PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin

export PATH

I tried vi .bash_profile, but under -bash-3.2# it does not works. I tried under transmit mac software to find .bash_profile in /home/ directory and its not there. I created .bash_profile and place it in /home/.bash_profile and restart. Still does not works.

;(((

Thanks again,

• @goodday said: I have no ideas what those code means:)

You don't have idea because you are too LAZY to read.

Thanked by 1TigersWay