Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which Panel?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which Panel?

GunterGunter Member
edited February 2013 in General

I'm starting a small tech collective/social justice project.

I was going to offer web-hosting services for some of those for some organizations (Saudi Arabia Women's Rights, Syrian Refugee sites, Homeless Awareness, Chinese Dissident Activism, Foodshare, Food Not Bombs, e.g.). I have no intention of making money.

But I need a panel that can be adapted to several (between 2-24) users, (if possible, 1-2 partner organizations who will resell, or provide services at their own discretion), and me.

It basically needs to be (if possible):

1) Free
2) Mostly Secure (no severe exploits that any idiot can take advantage of)
3) If possible, easily deployed (or have some sort of bash script)
4) Simple to use for a intermediate-level computer user.
5) Low on Resources if possible, we're pretty limited in terms of our server due to our limited budget.

Comments

• @darknyan said: 1) Free

Something like kloxo?

• Virtualmin

• @DalComp said: Something like kloxo?

Yes, but Kloxo, although significantly updated, still has some major security bugs.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@darknyan said: still has some major security bugs.

some people don't bothered about it. The cPanel is not so expensive nowadays.

@darknyan said: 1-2 partner organizations who will resell

I haven't seen any free panels with reseller option.

• Zpanel

• @mpkossen said: Virtualmin

If you are going for free I'll toss my vote in for Virtualmin GPL as well.

• It's used as the basis for a commercial product so the updates a frequent.
    • It integrates well with Debian, Ubuntu or CentOS (and I am sure many others)
    • It supports resellers and in fact has a fairly sophisticated permissions system
    • The installation is a simple script that runs and installs on the system. No fuss.
  • shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2013

zPanel has some security issues but it's got everything else you're looking for I think. If you want cPanel/WHM, I may be able to hook you up with a free reseller hosting plan you can mail at [email protected] since this is for non profit use.

Vouch for Shovehost, this guy is awesome!

• @darknyan contact me if you want to install Zpanel . I can install it for free on your VPS.

• +1 Virtualmin and webmin. <3

• really if your giving just those people access and you lock up php pretty tight you should have no problem'

• Virtualmin or Zpanel are my suggestions.
    Zpanel is more user friendly.
    Virtualmin is more controlable in my opinion.