Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this the end of ASO/EIG?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is this the end of ASO/EIG?

Well the below was announced to all employees of ASO/Arvixe. Note that they are keeping the outsourced support, they are just axing all directly hired remote staff.

=======================

Over the past few years, ASO has operated as a location based division as well as a remote employment division of Endurance. It’s sometimes been extremely challenging balancing the different approaches that we have to employment relationships, but we have continued to do so as we always have.

Recently, there have been challenges in the Customer Service Department that have made it more difficult. From a practical standpoint, I’m sure everyone here has been on a shift where the VPN’s fail, and all employees connections to the tools they must have to do their jobs stop working until those VPN’s can be corrected. From a cultural standpoint, it has become more and more challenging to give remote customer service employees the same connection to the vibrant and exciting changes happening in our Austin office.

Due to these and other factors,we have made the decision to start phasing out remote support for the A Small Orange/Arvixe Customer Service Department and are targeting June 1st for the transition.

If you wish to join us here in Austin, please contact myself, Mark, or Amy to discuss potentially joining us down here in the Austin office as soon as possible, as we would like all relocations completed by May 15th. For those of you that don’t wish to join us in Austin, Endurance also has U.S. customer support locations in Orem, Utah, Houston as well as Austin in TX, and Tempe, AZ, if you live closer to another physical location that would work better for you. There may be positions available in any of those locations.

I realize that many of you will be unable to relocate, and we want to make this transition as successful as possible for everyone involved. We will provide everyone with two weeks of severance, and we’ll give you an additional two weeks pay if you stay through the end date we provide you. We’ll also provide $300 additional for resume or interview coaching, and 1 month of benefit coverage. We’ll also do our best to work with you on scheduling flexibility so that you’ll be able to go on interviews when you need to.

I want to express my sincere thanks to all of you for the years you have put into A Small Orange and advanced thanks for your professionalism during this transition. ASO has been very much like a family for many of us, and though this new phase in ASO’s future is very exciting, it is also extremely bittersweet for many of us in Austin. We have built an incredible organization together, and for those you that are considering coming to Austin I can’t wait to work alongside you day to day! For those of you that cannot or choose not to relocate at this time, please know you are going to be greatly missed

Comments

• nepsneps Member

The end began a long time ago, this is just another nail in its coffin.

Thanked by 1zafouhar
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Rather sad for the people that have probably been employed remotely for so long. Hopefully they can find something new that gives them the same benefits.

• @EVM_Mike said:
    Rather sad for the people that have probably been employed remotely for so long. Hopefully they can find something new that gives them the same benefits.

Thing is that is becoming increasingly difficult since EIG bought a lot of the competition with many more companies in the pipeline.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2016

@zafouhar said:
    Thing is that is becoming increasingly difficult since EIG bought a lot of the competition with many more companies in the pipeline.

Heh, I didn't think about that, but there's still lots of good companies out there that aren't huge like them. Ramnode is hiring part time people right now, great company, there's a couple other VPS/shared hosts that will employ full time with the right experience.

Thanked by 1zafouhar
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

This was a while ago wasn't it?

• @jarland said:
    This was a while ago wasn't it?

No this is phase two ;). Last September they axed most of the staff working at Arvixe. Now they are axing ALL remote staff of all of ASO including its sub brands Arvixe, H9, Cirtex Hosting, SEO hosting, SEO web hosting etc. Not sure if it affects Site5 aswell since they were meant to be merged into ASO aswell.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@zafouhar said:
    No this is phase two ;). Last September they axed most of the staff working at Arvixe. Now they are axing ALL remote staff of all of ASO including its sub brands Arvixe, H9, Cirtex Hosting, SEO hosting, SEO web hosting etc. Not sure if it affects Site5 aswell since they were meant to be merged into ASO aswell.

Ah makes sense. Just leaving this here...

http://www.diya.net

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I'm not sure why people think this is "the end".

They're saying they're phasing out remote support for a couple brands. Since they're offering people jobs in Austin, presumably they'll either move or hire enough staff to make up the work the remote teams were doing. Along the way, service will get better because they're not strangers spread out around the globe but instead are all in one building.

Well, that's the theory anyway. I'm skeptical there's deep institutional knowledge being lost because it's just web hosting. I realize EIG is a crappy host, but I don't see this really as anything big or negative.

The severance sucks, though. A lot of companies give 1 weeks' pay per year of employment with a floor of four weeks or something like that, and extend benefits longer. Of course, a lot of companies give zilch. They really can't want these people very badly because I think if you went to one of those people right now and offered and identical job at the same pay, they'd choose a new steady job over a couple weeks of stay-pay. They're going to shop and jump because there's not a lot holding them back.

Thanked by 1Dylan
  • zafouharzafouhar Veteran
    edited March 2016

Oh yeah... they are keeping those guys... It seems the VPN for example is selective on which techs have issues with it.

• Came across this today:

https://www.siteground.com/blog/site5-support-stars/

EIG kicked out 32 support reps from Site5 and the previous CEO of Site5 Ben was kind enough to recommend them to Siteground.

Last year Ben has chosen to focus on a new project, and Endurance IG has acquired the Site5 brand. It turned out that the new owners had no plans to keep the amazing support team of the company and Ben contacted Tenko about the situation. It was a perfect timing, as we were actively looking for new support engineers and we knew that Site5 people are really good at what they do. So, as a result of this great relationship among competitors, this accumulated hosting support talent was not spilled.

Thanked by 1GCat
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited October 2016

raindog308 said: Of course, a lot of companies give zilch

...? If you don't like it complain to your governor - Most US states are "at will" employment, unlike EU or most other democratic countries.

If i as employer do not have to provide anything i will provide less or nothing, simple as that. You never pay more than needed, same as with taxes - this is simply not profitable and non-working people are not generating any revenue or income.