Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need help about virtulization software
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need help about virtulization software

SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran
edited February 2013 in Help

I am in process of learning things, I do not intend to sell VPS but still I want to learn things and above all I find that visualization is really helpful in some cases. So, I am planning to convert one of my powerful (not that powerful) dedicated box into various virtual machines.

So, I went into looking for options to manage VPS.. first and simple one is just install OpenVZ using command and create virtual machines.

Then other option is go for some VPS control panel, I found few
SolusVM
VePortal
HyperVM

I am inclined towards SolusVM , even though its paid, I am keen to have its experience but as with anyone new, its licensing is confusing..
It has Master enterprise license and one Slave only license.

So, if I have enterprise license , I can host VM on Master and can add number of slaves later with slave license ?

OR Slave only license means , I only buy one slaveonly license and then add any number of slaves in it ?..
Bah.. its confusing !!

VePortal looks dead , just mentioning as I came accross it..

HyperVM, its again confusing, its free and opensource but you need to have license (Free) but I never get email from them about license.

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2013

Don't use veportal or hypervm. Trust me on that. SolusVM is a good start but it will hold your hand too much. I suggest the OpenVZ wiki. Start by installing OpenVZ by hand. It's really not that bad. You can do everything with SolusVM and know nothing about what it's doing. It's a bad first impression in my opinion.

I've seen somewhat reputable hosts crippled by SolusVM's hand holding, with no idea how OpenVZ really works. The second something breaks, they won't know what to do.

Obviously this means solus is great, don't get me wrong, it's just not a good learning tool.

• Try Proxmox and Vmware, they are free..

• Is vmware still free? It used to be years ago and i was using it for some internal things but don't know about the recent versions.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

Forgot to mention, I also checked into Proxmox, its based on Debian but I prefer centos.

Thanks Jarland , I understand your concern, however is it possible to install SolusVM later , say I am already managing 5-6 openVZ container through command line, can I install SolusVM later without affecting them ? (though I guess taking snapshot and then can restore into solusVM .. right?)

However, still SolusVm license is not clear ..

• @rds100 said: Is vmware still free? It used to be years ago and i was using it for some internal things but don't know about the recent versions.

Yup still free! you have to sign up and get a license which is kinda a pain but free to use

http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere-hypervisor/overview.html

@Saahib said: Forgot to mention, I also checked into Proxmox, its based on Debian but I prefer centos.

But proxmox is baremetal the install takes like 5 min

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2013

You can certainly install solusvm later. It's not too messy with a few containers.

Solus license is $2.50 for master and $10 per slave. I believe it's $12.50 for master that doubles as a slave.

Ok, ya proxmox is good, however, I will be using all VPS for my own use, not for selling as I mentioned already. So, infuture can I make this machine solusvm master and attach more nodes to it (what about existing nodes I created using OpenVZ?
    Btw, you mean if I want to add more node to a server I need enterprise license in case of solus ?

• @Saahib said: Ok, ya proxmox is good, however, I will be using all VPS for my own use, not for selling as I mentioned already.

In that case, you could use KVM, Xen with virt-manager to create virtual machines. AFAIK, openvz is mainly used for VPS hosting?

Thanks , I guess I get idea, however I want to do this for dual purpose ie. learning as well as some virtualization.

• @Saahib said: Btw, you mean if I want to add more node to a server I need enterprise license in case of solus ?

Not sure if your clear on it but you know there is no free license for solusvm I think it's only a 15 day free trial which after you must purchase a monthly license from them?

I have not installed it, but I guess its pretty clear , only thing is that they should name their SLAVE only license as "Manage Only License" .
    One can have 1 enterprise license for $10 and can host container in that machine itself and can use it as master for other machines too.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

openvz is ok, once you use veth instead of venet it can do most things a real vm does.
    Lower overhead and all.
    From what I know, solus does not support veth, but proxmox does.
    On the other hand, Xen is an old and proven techology with low overhead for xen-pv and interesting features coming.
    If you dont need to sell it, you will probably do well with it.
    Xen seems less and less popular these days.

• If the only purpose is to learn things, what kind of server would anyone recommend? Kimsufi?

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited February 2013

@Saahib said: its based on Debian but I prefer centos.

You have much to learn indeed

• @DalComp said: If the only purpose is to learn things, what kind of server would anyone recommend? Kimsufi?

Nothing wrong with a Kumsufi server for testing :)

• @DalComp said: If the only purpose is to learn things, what kind of server would anyone recommend? Kimsufi?

If you want to learn about virtulization then OVH is probably not a good option since they only give you 1 IP.. look at Wholesaleinternet and Datashack they are pretty cheap.

• @earl said: If you want to learn about virtulization then OVH is probably not a good option since they only give you 1 IP.. look at Wholesaleinternet and Datashack they are pretty cheap.

You can get up to 4, and also, OpenVZ + NAT

Just a side note:
    I am not asking for suggestion over server, I have already few at my disposal, its about choosing of virtulisation software.

Btw, if Xen is so good then why most of the LEB here offer openVZ ?

• @BronzeByte said: You can get up to 4

Yeah I guess it breaks down to about the same price even after paying for 3 failover IP's from kimsufi.

• @BK_ Thanks.
    @BronzeByte @earl Thanks, I'll look at those options. Please get back to the topic, I feel like hijacking the thread to a whole new direction. lol

• @Saahib said: Btw, if Xen is so good then why most of the LEB here offer openVZ ?

OpenVZ is closer to bare hardware and there is almost no overhead to running it. In a nutshell this means you can run more on the nodes and the performance is still good.

Xen offers full hardware support so you can run other (non-linux) OSes. OpenVZ can only run flavors of Linux.

• @Saahib said: Btw, if Xen is so good then why most of the LEB here offer openVZ ?

Because you can't oversell Xen easily and when you do:

• @jbxl said: OpenVZ is closer to bare hardware and there is almost no overhead to running it.

Not closer than Xen (PV)... (equal)

• @BronzeByte said: Not closer than Xen (PV)... (equal)

Excellent point, thanks. I stand corrected. Still, my understanding of Xen PV is it will not run Windows as there are no PV drivers for Windows. Has that changed?

Xen can be oversold using some Ballooning stuff.. right ?