Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Actually, do you buys still struggling on using ECC buffered memory?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Actually, do you buys still struggling on using ECC buffered memory?

jaxyanjaxyan Member
edited December 2011 in General

I recently owned a opteron G34 board. i am going to buy CPU and relevant part.
thinking of what to buy for memory.

any ideas?

Comments

• any suggestions?

• Well, just an advice. In Newegg there are two G34 mobos, and some users report issues about not using "quad rank" memory and the system only see half of the total memory. No idea about this, but it seems that normal desktop memory may not work fine.

About using ECC or not? I am not sure, but maybe @Francisco have experience with ECC memory. It seems that big ECC dimms (8GB) are cheaper these days.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Looks like the G34's can use standard DDR3 that you can score cheap.

You can get 8GB DDR3 fully registered sticks for $60 in the USA right now.

Francisco

• Hi, @Francisco and @ymoero

Would you suggest using ECC or desktop ram?
    Any experience sharing on using ECC?

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited December 2011

Hell would freeze and YardVPS would run a clean mail list before I put desktop rated ram into a server.

But that's just me.

• Just use high quality RAM. If you'll choose to use non-ECC get Patriot or at least Corsair/OCZ memory.

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited December 2011

Well, I don't have experience in machines with heavy load and lots of processes like most of the servers. So, I think if you have a situation like that, maybe is better to get ECC RAM.
    Otherwise, a normal computer fails a lot? I don't think so. And ECC maybe is unnecessary. For example:

$ uptime
     16:41:19 up 106 days, 11:36,  1 user,  load average: 0.13, 0.03, 0.01

A little machine with 512MB DDR and an Athlon XP CPU. And is going great.

For me seems unnecessary generally. Cosmic rays? lol

But the people here with experience dedicated servers can give you a better opinion.

• I guess for most uses of people here desktop RAM would be ok.
    But e.g. for a bank it's not good to have the signed bit of an account balance suddenly flipped or so.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@drmike said: Hell would freeze and YardVPS would run a clean mail list before I put desktop rated ram into a server.

But that's just me.

That's how i feel about it. If the box is a test box or something then desktop RAM can be OK, but anything production we do gets ECC registered.

Francisco

• @ksx4system said: [...] get Patriot or at least Corsair/OCZ memory.

Sadly OCZ has stopped making RAM, they are just focusing on SSD's now. :(

• My choice for desktop is Gskill for premium and Kingston for value memory.

• I'm really tired. Please assume that I wrote a joke about the finest memory made by some monks after years of study in their Monastery somewhere in deepest Tibet as being what I put into my servers.

• @Kuro said: Sadly OCZ has stopped making RAM, they are just focusing on SSD's now. :(

WTF? :(

well... Patriot FTW.

• @Kuro said: Sadly OCZ has stopped making RAM, they are just focusing on SSD's now.

With a 50% failure rate on their SSD, I'd hate to see them do something without focus.

• @miTgiB said: With a 50% failure rate on their SSD, I'd hate to see them do something without focus.

Just bought an OCZ SSD, didn't test it yet -- looking forward to it :P

• Ram is quite cheap these days. It wouldn't make sense not to use server ram in any production server.

I personally wouldn't use desktop ram on a server board.

• earlearl Member
    edited December 2011

A couple years back I built a computer from spare parts I had lying around..I can install an OS on the machine ok, but the odd thing was no matter what file I downloaded it would always be corrupt.. My first instinct was a bad network card but changing that did not help so after hours of tinkering I came to find that the ram was bad.. I suppose I could have prevented this by enabling the memory check in the bios, but really if you can't afford the down time then it's probably better off you get ECC Ram..

• so the conclusion would be using ECC instead of desktop ram for production usage. rite?

• Yes.

And don't use desktop-grade SATA drives, either.

• why?

i am gonna build raid with sata drives.

• @jaxyan Because desktop grade SATA drives have less tolerance for vibrations, which means their performance and life degrades more quickly in a server (you have more vibrations in a server due to many hard drives and many fans).

• Especially not for raid. If a desktop drive gets a bad block, or other issue, it will spend more time trying to correct the issue than an enterprise drive in a raid system. This may cause IO blocking, killing your system availability. This is because the enterprise drive will give up and let the raid system handle it.

ftp://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/enterprise_class_versus_desktop_class_hard_drives_.pdf is a good article about it. It's specifically desktop SATA vs enterprise SAS, but it could also be applied to desktop SATA vs enterprise SATA too.