Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How are you optimizing your page load for lamp/lemp stacks?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How are you optimizing your page load for lamp/lemp stacks?

Hello,
How are you optimizing your page load when using a lamp/lemp stack?

Some options I am aware of and have been using:

• CDN (obviously costs you a bit but quite the good results from what Ive heard. THOUGH I know of a provider whose servers don't use CDN and connection from all over the world is still blazing fast)

• Disabling unused modules (Never really noticed that much a difference but alot of people have reported this to be quite efficient so yeah..)

• Adjust apache config (reduce maxclients)

• Maintain databases e.g. with MySQLTuner

• For WordPress users: EasyEngine

Comments

• MunMun Member

Ugh... A provider is asking this.

You can do many things.

PHP APC

Memcached

Cloud flare

Wordpress file caches

Remove extra plugins.

Etc...

• DamianDamian Member
    edited March 2016

Stop using a CMS to serve static pages.

I'm getting tired of "why is my site generating so much load, it's just a small wordpress site :( :( :( :( :(" responses.... because it's a horrible enormously bloated piece of software that had to execute an huge amount of code to serve your "small" site.

Thanked by 2jar linuxthefish
  • TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited March 2016

First of all, remove Apache from the equation if you want the best performance (my opinion):

1. use nginx + php-fpm or litespeed if you got the scratch.

2. Spend the time to learn a little about MySQL and how to optimize things beyond mysqltuner; how to utilize ram for tmpdir for one.

3. memcached/redis

4. A Galera Cluster (Master-Master) instead of a single MySQL server with haproxy as entry point

5. PHP opcache

6. Review your site on something like http://gtmetrix.com and follow some of their suggestions regarding cache expiration settings, the use of gzip, css/js minify, image optimization, etc

7. If you use nginx: fastcgi and proxy cache

If you can get to that point and you do a little reading along the way, it will all start to get easier and make more sense.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanked by 2VPS_Unlimited sipe
  • VPS_UnlimitedVPS_Unlimited Member
    edited March 2016

Thanks for the input so far :)

@TheLinuxBug
    Will look into this shortly!

@Mun said:
    Ugh... A provider is asking this.

You can do many things.

PHP APC

Memcached

Cloud flare

Wordpress file caches

Remove extra plugins.

Etc...

As far as I am aware of the provider title enables you to post in the "Offers" section.

It is not:

• Some kind of certificate (CompTIA IT/LFCE..)

• Vouching for any providers trustworthyness

• Anything else than described in the definition found in the respective thread regarding this issue.

Please note that it basicly does not require any server knowledge to resell unmanaged servers which is what I am doing right now before looking to expand. While I do not deem my server knowledge to be as indepth as some other people's knowledge on these forums, I still recon myself capable of reselling services and expanding my buisiness once I have aquired the respective knowledge. That being said I hereby thank you cordically for your constructive feedback and hope to see you around more often :)

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited March 2016

VPS_Unlimited said: How are you optimizing your page load when using a lamp/lemp stack?

For myself, I just install my own Centmin Mod LEMP stack and it's fairly optimized out of the box already as the install sequence automatically and dynamically sets nginx, php-fpm and mariadb 10 settings based on detected server hardware configuration (number of cpu threads, memory and disk space) environment :)

The latest beta install process also measures mysql detected partition's disk i/o performance and automatically adjusts mysql related settings for that specifically measured performance :)

Basically, every Centmin Mod LEMP install is uniquely tuned to the specific VPS or dedicated server's detected configuration and even dependent options for different virtualisations used OpenVZ vs KVM/Xen etc :)

Thanked by 2VPS_Unlimited karjaj
  • @eva2000 said:

Cool! Will try that out :)

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited March 2016

For me serving static content from a CDN (cdn.domain.com going through cloudflare is a cheap alternative if you don't want to move your whole site to cloudflare) and optimising MySQL for more RAM caching, even out of the box it should be fine for small sites, are the main things for your site.

I'm not a big believer in MySQL clusters and massive caching systems for a small site as it's just something else to configure and to go wrong, optimising your application or switching as much content to static stuff is the best thing you can do.

Converting your website graphics to SVG might improve loading times if you are displaying large logos or background images, @MrGeneral might be able to do this!

Thanked by 1VPS_Unlimited
  • eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited March 2016

linuxthefish said: Converting your website graphics to SVG might improve loading times if you are displaying large logos or background images, @MrGeneral might be able to do this!

for images check out ngx_pagespeed for nginx or mod_pagespeed for apache

Centmin Mod LEMP has ngx_pagespeed integrated as well (disabled by default due to 1.9.12 dynamic module compatibility work) but can be re-enabled after install - see benefits of ngx_pagespeed which include up to 50% reduction in image sizes served to visitors = faster loading pages https://community.centminmod.com/threads/benefits-of-ngx_pagespeed.1032/

Centmin Mod latest beta also supports Brotli encoding compression for Nginx via ngx_brotli module https://community.centminmod.com/threads/brotli-compression-algorithm-coming-to-chrome-browser-soon.5806/ to reduce static page elements size compared to gzip encoding :D

You do the maths, 25-40% smaller static js/css/html files due to brotli compression + up to 50% smaller served images optimized on the fly via ngx_pagespeed = smaller page sizes = faster page loading :)