Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HE.NET DNS Resolvers / Nameservers are down or being attacked? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HE.NET DNS Resolvers / Nameservers are down or being attacked?

2»

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited March 2016

@gsrdgrdghd said:
    What do you guys prefer, Route 53 or CloudFlare?

I want to like route 53 but I always go back to cloudflare. Something about the uncertainty of the bill with AWS just doesn't help me sleep well at night.

• kcaj said: Grab two reliable LEBs, install BIND and configure master/slave replication - it's all good :-)

I've thought about that, but the hassle of maintaining 2 LEBs is just not worth it.

jarland said: Something about the uncertainty of the bill with AWS just doesn't help me sleep well at night.

I've decided to try route 53 for now, apparently they offer students $35 in free credit so I can try them risk free

• kcaj said: Grab two reliable LEBs, install BIND and configure master/slave replication - it's all good :-)

I prefer unbound, though I wouldn't use a LEB for any nameservers, just local resolving.

• jarland said: I want to like route 53 but I always go back to cloudflare. Something about the uncertainty of the bill with AWS just doesn't help me sleep well at night.

Same. We manage several thousand domains for clients and give the option for 3rd party DNS when the registrar is lacking a facility. I'm wary of ones that charge by volume of queries. I'd trust Amazon to be accurate in this case, but there's nothing stopping an adversary inflating your costs.

Thanked by 1jar
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

gsrdgrdghd said: What do you guys prefer, Route 53 or CloudFlare?

If AWS was free, obviously them. Since that's not the case, CloudFlare is mostly good.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • I can't believe no one has mentioned:

http://www.dnsmadeeasy.com/

• @Amitz said:
    I often thought about moving most of my domains over to Cloudflare, but was in fear that they could get p*ssed if I throw 100+ domains towards their free plan...

I have 55 domains on the Edna + Jim nameservers on CloudFlare. No complaints yet - their support was quite nice too when my account was hacked. I just told them on their phone and presto... I could sign in again :)

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • AmitzAmitz Member

@globalRegisters said:
    I can't believe no one has mentioned:

http://www.dnsmadeeasy.com/

While great - it's not free.

Thanked by 2Dylan netomx
  • joerijoeri Member, Host Rep, LIR
    edited March 2016

@mehargags said:
    Has anyone used dnsmanager.cc ?? is it even a service or just a front end to DNS management I doubt.

I'm the owner of the dnsmanager.cc
    If you have questions please let my know.

@gonggo said:
    I have a few domains with dnsmanager.cc, seems ok, but I only put a non important domains (for now). recently they said they got ddos'd and changed the IP. the cons are no dnssec and only NL location.

On request we can also place additional DNS servers in other countries.

• DylanDylan Member

neps said: I have upwards of 200 domains on their free plan, over 100 of which are on a single account. It's not a problem.

And CloudFlare themselves have bragged about people with thousands of domains on one account, so, yeah, I'd say they're fine with it.

• Layer03Layer03 Member, Host Rep

@ricardo said:

I agree, anyone with route53?

• @Amitz said:
    While great - it's not free.

AWS Route 53 was being discussed and it is not free.

• AmitzAmitz Member

globalRegisters said: AWS Route 53 was being discussed and it is not free.

Didn't understand that too... ;-)

• Layer03 said: I agree, anyone with route53?

It works, my nameservers going down on Route53 has never crossed my mind. They also support aliasing - which you have to pay $20/m for with Cloudflare.

edited March 2016

@Silvenga said:
    It works, my nameservers going down on Route53 has never crossed my mind. They also support aliasing - which you have to pay $20/m for with Cloudflare.

What's the most you recall paying for a month? Off the top of your head is good enough. I'm flirting with the idea of it, just scared of it. It's definitely on the upper end of capabilities, if not on the top.

• jarland said: What's the most you recall paying for a month? Off the top of your head is good enough. I'm flirting with the idea of it, just scared of it. It's definitely on the upper end of capabilities, if not on the top.

With only Route53, the most I've paid has been maybe $5. However, also consider that I only have around 1,200 unique visitors across my domain a day - so definitely not high volume. I wouldn't doubt that caching servers take most of the traffic anyway.

I mainly use it for the awesome API and tooling. :D

Thanked by 1jar
  • I've now tried Route 53 and so far it seems fine. The webinterface is simple (much like HE's) and can import BIND zone files which is nice for migration. There are a ton of advanced features that I don't really need (monitoring, automatic failover, load balancing, geodns, etc) but which might be nice for some.

@jarland: You can set up billing caps/alerts so that you e.g. get a notification after spending 20$/month and AWS shuts itself down after 50$/month. This might be nice for trying it out since you would have some time to migrate away after reaching the warning notification.

Thanked by 1jar
  • I have a couple of zones at HE.NET which I plan to move to either AWS Route 53 or cloud.google.com/dns

However I'm skeptical about costing and pricing calculations about "Queries Per Month" Is there an approximate way to measure my average Queries on He.Net or other DNS hostings ?

Of interesting note, I just noticed NameCheap is selling what they call premium DNS for dirt cheap. DDOS protection at the DNS level they claim (which I assume is masked IP like cloudflare, but can't confirm).

Thanked by 1mehargags
  • @jarland said:
    Of interesting note, I just noticed NameCheap is selling what they call premium DNS for dirt cheap. DDOS protection at the DNS level they claim (which I assume is masked IP like cloudflare, but can't confirm).

The DDoS protection just sounds like their DNS servers are DDoS protected from reading it. Still might be a decent deal for only 5bux a year.

• Ooh gotta give Namecheap a try, 4.88 is a good price.

• I think.. Cloudflare or your own nameservers is the best solution

• @sanmax88 said:
    Ooh gotta give Namecheap a try, 4.88 is a good price.

is per domain... not a reseller account or something to host multiple domains. Just FYI

• A DNS Speed comparison that might be of interest.
    http://www.solvedns.com/dns-comparison/2016/02

For me in Australia it seems Verisign doesn't have a local POP for DNS. The closest locations seem to be Hong Kong and Tokyo, the NameCheap price does seem good though. The same from AWS Route 53 would be $1.30 per month.

My wish list for a managed DNS provider :-)

1. Name servers on both IPv4 and IPv6.
    2. Name servers in different domains.
    3. Don't route all queries to the same POP.
  • gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@josephb - sounds like Rage4 DNS

• @gbshouse I haven't tried Rage4 for a few years if I recall.

However when I last did, the number of DNS queries being logged/consumed seemed out of proportion to the domain. Without an easy way to find the root cause I moved the domain elsewhere.

I'll try again with another domain shortly and see how things are :)

Thanked by 1asf
  • Be careful when transfering .com/.net domains to Amazon and requiring whois privacy. They only offer full privacy for .com/.net domains that are registered with them, if you transfer the domain it goes to Gandi.net which doesn't offer full whois privacy.