Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GoDaddy enters the LEB market - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GoDaddy enters the LEB market

2»

Comments

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

FredQc said: Psych Network build a new datacenter in Ashburn

Nah, they are just renting some space.

• HxxxHxxx Member

I actually see this as positive news. As a web dev I've seen many customers truly attached to godaddy's brand and won't let go. Well to be fair at least they have 24/7 customer support via phone, you know ... for the people that like to talk worthless stuff with representatives via phone. Them providing a service similar to Linode/DO/Vultr, is a good thing. Now let's see how these perform when the servers get oversold.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited March 2016

So are these $5/mo VPSes fully managed? Considering godaddy's current customer base (i.e. mostly non-technical folks), i don't know how would they use a VPS without a lot of hand holding.

• chrispchrisp Member
    edited March 2016

Nyr said: It's a mayor hub.

The name is not as flashy as New York City

Indeed, Ashburn sounds like some random city. After googling a bit I even found that book about Ashburn as a location. I think after reading it I will want a vps there, but definitely not with GoDaddy.

"Tubes: A Journey To The Center Of The Internet"

• I bought my first domain at Godaddy !

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited March 2016

@tommy said: Who believe Godaddy as hosting provider?

Mostly people who have 50 million+ domains registered through GoDaddy. Only danger of failure here is most of their customers' lack of technical acumen to manage a VPS. It will be interesting to see how they plan to make this work.

• @tommy said:
    Who believe Godaddy as hosting provider?

I used Godaddy shared hosting for a long time. It's reliable.

chrisfe said: I bought my first domain at Godaddy !

Me too, I think? It was either them or Aruba, don't really remember. Actually I bought two domains there, since they upsold a second one.

• One of the other challenges with GoDaddy is the unbelievable amount of hack attempts and content SPAM attempts coming from their networks (approx 875,000 IPv4's on one AS alone). Possibly hacked servers of their "non-technical" user base ... either way the volume of bad traffic is simply amazing to me.

geekalot said: approx 875,000 IPv4's on one AS alone

Not a good metric considering they sell shared hosting.

They are also no LET provider which can suspend their customers as soon as their WP gets compromised (still they can do a lot to stop abuse, obviously).

• @Nyr said:
    They are also no LET provider which can suspend their customers as soon as their WP gets compromised (still they can do a lot to stop abuse, obviously).

Agreed