Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sequential disk write much slower than seq read (Online SC 2016 SATA) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Sequential disk write much slower than seq read (Online SC 2016 SATA)

2»

Comments

• I would be happy to pay for some ECC RAM to go in yours, should prevent it booting nicely.

• @tehdan said:
    I would be happy to pay for some ECC RAM to go in yours, should prevent it booting nicely.

Depends on the board/chipset I know at least some of the avatrons support unbuffered ECC

• The XC SSD 2015 had a 1600 MHz Hynix ECC memory, if you were lucky enough you also got Intel DC S3500 160 GB so it was a pure enterprise class server (just the lack of RAID is the problem).

• @dragon2611 said:
    Depends on the board/chipset I know at least some of the avatrons support unbuffered ECC

Offer withdrawn :)

• @tehdan said:
    Offer withdrawn :)

My SC is non-ecc. I will take 64G if your offer still valid.

• xyzxyz Member

tehdan said: 40-50MB/sec is pretty average write performance for a spinning laptop hard drive.

Sorry, gonna have to disagree with you on that one there (unless you're talking about 5400rpm drives or those with lower density platters) =P

But don't take my word for it:
    http://www.storagereview.com/images/hitachi_travelstar_z7k500_500gb_2mb_sequentialtransfer.png
    http://www.hardwareluxx.de/images/stories/galleries/reviews/notebook_hdds_2013/image07.png

(I'm sure you can find many more across the internet)

Thanked by 1rm_
  • @xyz - A couple of random graphs doesn't tell you anything - there's no statement as to the method of testing, so you can't conclude they are comparable to your test.

Those figures can be easily obtained if you don't use conv=fdatasync (or equivalent) - but you're just using your cache/buffers to inflate the raw performance - not a new trick.

Here's a review of a drive I've used dozens of -
    http://www.storagereview.com/western_digital_scorpio_black_500gb_review_wd5000bekt

Claims similar performance to your graphs, but I promise you that 40-50MB/sec is the best you'll get with dd write test with fdatasync. Actually it'll drop to about 25MB/sec by the time the disk is full.

Obviously, feel free to get the most out of your setup fee and keep harassing online.net, but you are wasting your time as well as theirs :).

• xyzxyz Member

tehdan said: there's no statement as to the method of testing

They use IOMeter and CrystalDiskMark, both fairly well renowned disk benchmarking tools, and they most definitely do flush caches / sync to disk (feel free to inspect the source code of IOMeter yourself if you don't trust what others say).

tehdan said: promise you that 40-50MB/sec is the best you'll get with dd write test with fdatasync

Maybe you should check if your disk is normal? I've had a number of 2.5in 7200rpm drives, and 100MB/s on a dd test is definitely normal for me. dd isn't quite as accurate as a proper disk benchmark, and usually returns lower figures, but not by much.

tehdan said: Obviously, feel free to get the most out of your setup fee and keep harassing online.net, but you are wasting your time as well as theirs :).

They've already admitted a fault on their end, so I'd have to kindly disagree with you there. :)

Thanked by 1rm_
  • Christ.

• Just grab a XC 2016 sata, dd write is only 80 mb/s ish..