Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH VPS : Backup Policy - Share please if you own one.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH VPS : Backup Policy - Share please if you own one.

Hi,

I am planning to transfer couple of VM to OVH VPS. I need some feedback on how these guys do backups. I am comparing it with scaleway's new VPS offering where I can snapshot the disk.

I see on OVH that it seems they are charging separate for backup facility. Is it true? Is it possible to use API to make a self backup cron setup.

Let me know your feedbacks please.

Comments

• You need to pay for the backup/snapshot add-on. I don't think it's possible to create any kind of snapshot without paying for it.

Thanked by 1Geekoine
  • You can try lunanode

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

They charge 0.01 euro per gb per month for snapshots on their public cloud. There's an API to create snapshots.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@vfuse said:
    They charge 0.01 euro per gb per month for snapshots on their public cloud. There's an API to create snapshots.

this! they always do snapshot and bill the whole disk, regardless how much your actual usage is. so its 0.10 , 0.20 or 0.40 per month.
    but it's billed like hourly or so, definitely not more than daily - sometimes hard to tell exactly by that rates ;-)
    notice that they don't take snapshots of additional disk you added within their public cloud. for them they claim 3 time redundancy anyways.

adding to those snapshots I take on somewhat regular timely manner, I am doing daily rsync to another location and weekly rdiff-backups to a third location...