Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Serve images on a wordpress site from a different server.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Serve images on a wordpress site from a different server.

I've got a wordpress site and the VPS it is on is almost full. I've got a lot of images. Is there a plugin or anything with lets me upload images to a vps server and serve it from there. I am not looking for a CDN, I am looking for an alternate solution to store and server my images.

Comments

• I don't know if there is any plugin to offload to another VPS, but for service like S3 maybe you can take a look at this http://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/61243/offload-media-to-external-services

• There're no plugin to do that but you can move wp-content/uploads/[last year] folder to another host or your own vps and setup it as a subdomain, then setup a redirect via htaccess/rules to this new subdomain.
    The con is you lose ability to control them in WP-Media page.

• nepsneps Member

Is upgrading your VPS's disk space not an option?

• edanedan Member

You can do it easily using W3 Total Cache.

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

Spend the vultr credits and upgrade?

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • @NanoG6 said:

Not interested in S3. Something like a VPS with huge disk.

• @neps said:

Nope. Not feasible.

• @K4Y5 said:

lol, not on Vultr. I am talking about 100s of GBs

• @edan said:

Offloading ? How ? It just lets me use a CDN

• flopvflopv Member

You could offload your images to another server. How much big site is? You could change your theme's image location to some other server. You images will load for that server.

• @flopv said:

The big question is how ?

• k0nslk0nsl Member

As already suggested -- W3 Total Cache. I've configured it in the manner you need it and it works perfectly.

@gurugrv said:

• gurugrvgurugrv Member
    edited March 2016

@k0nsl said:

CDN FTP ?

• FalzoFalzo Member

@gurugrv said:
    Would you be kind enough to explain how ?

only after you deposit $150 in unnumbered vultr credits at @k0nsl's disposal

Thanked by 2ehab k0nsl
  • @Falzo said:
    only after you deposit $150 in unnumbered vultr credits at k0nsl's disposal

You got me there.

Thanked by 1ehab
  • Perfect usage of ObjSpace, there is a wordpress plugin for this and @Mikeyur has a free months trial of the service.

• @MarkTurner said:

I am not looking for a backup option. I am trying to replace the location of my uploads folder to a different server from where media files can be saved and server. I checked out the Objspace plugin on github and I could only see the backup option.

• mike0000mike0000 Member
    edited March 2016

@gurugrv said:
    I am not looking for a backup option. I am trying to replace the location of my uploads folder to a different server from where media files can be saved and server. I checked out the Objspace plugin on github and I could only see the backup option.

https://github.com/yomura/objspacecdn

This is the offload plugin, the backup plugin is separate.

• @mikeyur said:

Is there an option to also delete the files on the server after they have been uploaded to Objspace ?

• @gurugrv said:
    Is there an option to also delete the files on the server after they have been uploaded to Objspace ?

I believe so.. I haven't really done much testing of it