Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DEDIBOX SC 2016 €8.99 - Will it convince me to give up KS-1 ? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DEDIBOX SC 2016 €8.99 - Will it convince me to give up KS-1 ?

Comments

• @jvnadr said:
    This is just a way to avoid people only wanting to grab a server for a month or two. In large companies, this can lead to receive the demand for tons of servers when you release them and in some months only the actual clients, those who really need the service will stay. And then, the company sit with tons of unused servers...

That makes sense and I can understand them somehow. It would be great they charge the setup fee back after 6 months or even a year, I would really like that concept. It's an incentive to keep the server longer and more people buy it.

• SpacedustSpacedust Member
    edited March 2016

I didn't even move my installation properly and boom:

Your server's network port is off

If you just asked for a server reboot, or to boot in rescue or test mode, this message will only be displayed for a few seconds.

Otherwise, our network equipment may be on protective mode due to non-authorized network traffic.

In this case, please ask our support team to unlock your server.

• Spacedust said: Your server's network port is off

Same issue I was talking about. Ticket and phoned, my issue was resolved in a few hours

• But it happens every time I boot CentOS 6.7 ! WTF ?

• @Spacedust said:
    But it happens every time I boot CentOS 6.7 ! WTF ?

I can only select CentOS7?? How did you get CentOS6 installed?

• I moved it from XC SSD 2015 and reconfigured for the new server, but it doesn't boot. It's really horrible they do not offer CentOS 6.7.

• @Spacedust said
    I moved it from XC SSD 2015 and reconfigured for the new server, but it doesn't boot. It's really horrible they do not offer CentOS 6.7.

May be they don't have time to write drivers for such new hardware yet?

Highly customized HW thou, you can run almost all 6.x under 7 anyway.

• The only way is to probably install Proxmox, but I hate virtual machines...

• Please note I've been starting CentOS 6.7 with latest kernel 4.5 from elrepo. It must have all the necessary drivers since the same kernel in CentOS 7 works well.

• @Spacedust said:
    Please note I've been starting CentOS 6.7 with latest kernel 4.5 from elrepo. It must have all the necessary drivers since the same kernel in CentOS 7 works well.

Possible to install centos 7?

• CentOS 7 works well, but it's too new for many control panels.

• Well this is really a great deal

• I am Interesting to see how this little Atom with VT-x handles KVM

• xyzxyz Member

david_W said: Brand new HDD, desktop grade, SATA2 mode.

For those I/O speeds to the HDD, are those read or write speeds? I'm guessing that is just the typical dd test?

• @xyz said:
    For those I/O speeds to the HDD, are those read or write speeds? I'm guessing that is just the typical dd test?

I believe that's for regular dd write test. I will dig into the test script later. But the HDD is running on sata 2 mode even the controller is sata 3 capable.

Thanked by 1xyz
  • This "motherboard" is really a one big mistake.

• david_Wdavid_W Member
    edited March 2016

1 more SATA is currently available
    https://console.online.net/en/order/server

• AES performance test C2750 vs N2800

HUGE AES performance boost with the AES-NI instruction set.

c2350
    type             16 bytes     64 bytes    256 bytes   1024 bytes   8192 bytes
    aes-128-cbc     156286.91k   236740.76k   282765.65k   297229.65k   301410.99k
    aes-256-cbc     129272.92k   178330.37k   206060.54k   214411.26k   216804.01k

n2800
    type             16 bytes     64 bytes    256 bytes   1024 bytes   8192 bytes
    aes-128-cbc      26107.26k    28257.58k    28869.03k    29135.19k    29245.44k
    aes-256-cbc      19346.75k    19863.68k    20436.22k    20716.89k    20796.76k

• david_W said: AES performance test C2750 vs N2800

N2800 is a netbook CPU, C2750 is a server CPU

Thanked by 1tehdan
  • @TarZZ92 said:
    N2800 is a netbook CPU, C2750 is a server CPU

I know this is not fair. n2800 is what the ks-1 having.

Surprisingly, c2750 having similar AES performance in test compare with 2xE5420.

• VT-x Test

Having Win 2012 R2 std with GUI and Ubuntu14 Desktop running in qemu KVM, still no issue. GUI is pretty smooth via RDP/VNC. Most of the time both cores are about 20%-25% load.

This will make me a great sandbox, if only talking about the remote desktop experience, it's even better than same configuration under Core2Quad Q9300, which has 3.5x higher bench marketing than this tiny Atom. Any expert can point out why?

Need I say more to have a smooth remote desktop? Think about those download client we have been using in the past xD. Now I am even thinking about bigger storage...

Again this tiny CPU still surprising me. By checking the Intel road map and compare specs, C2350 is almost identical to C2338

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Atom+C2338+@+1.74GHz&id=2381

• @david_W said:
    Any expert can point out why?

Must be the SATA3 upgrade magic!

• xyzxyz Member

I highly doubt the C2350 will be able to do anything better than a Q9xxx CPU unless you're really taking advantage of the newer ISA (i.e. AES-NI). There may be something else in your comparison that you're not factoring.

• @xyz said:
    I highly doubt the C2350 will be able to do anything better than a Q9xxx CPU

I got the same feeling too, but both system has exactly OS and qemu-kvm version. Running VM with no GUI Q9300 is faster but guest with desktop is painfully slow.

I only need KVM to run GUI OS thou, all other VMs have been migrated to docker.

• SC 2016 is back in stock

• Looks like a good offer indeed, I might try one to see how it works.

• Alright Online.net.. you win this round. Ordered.

• lol I just cancelled mine, moving forward to XC 2016 and KS2-C

• @david_W said:
    lol I just cancelled mine, moving forward to XC 2016 and KS2-C

These are just secondary/third level machines for me, had to jump on the SSD model - already got a KS-1 with 500GB drive for half the price. Will make it an EU PoP for some of my stuff and a read-only failover for some sites.

Would've preferred a slightly beefier CPU (maybe C2550), but it'll do for serving static/heavily cached stuff quickly :)

• Same here, these are toy machine and only for backup and backup of backup.
    Most of time they will be like a gold sink. Getting very serious LET addition, want to get my hands on every single offer until my credit card is burned. Then let 90% of them sitting there doing nothing.

I need a doctor.

No worries @mikeyur, Delim*** is one of those providers I am putting production stuffs on. These stuffs are separate from my Dedi addition..