Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NAT VPS and cPanel?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NAT VPS and cPanel?

WHTWHT Member

Hello.

As I know a NAT VPS means multiple VPS in the same IP? If this is like that, can I install cPanel in this kind of vps? IF yes, as I know cPanel is licensed per IP so I can install it in multiple vps (same ip) without to purchase additional license?
Is this a popcorn what am talking here or a reality? :)

Comments

• Yep it works and you can bypass the license restriction with ir

Thanked by 1WHT
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

It has been done on littlehappycloud.net it essentially means you have to add each domain to haproxy too and cannot run nameservers on the same VPS but apart from that it is like normal, also if someone has a license on the IP already, you dont even need to buy one :)

Thanked by 1WHT
  • So does that mean I could GRE tunnel from another server (server A) to this licensed server (server B) and that will grant license on server A?

• WHTWHT Member

@AnthonySmith you could pay one license and offer NAT vps including cpanel for $2 month lol. Thank you guys will give it a try, I know its tricky with ports but will figure it out

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@WHT said:
    AnthonySmith you could pay one license and offer NAT vps including cpanel for $2 month lol. Thank you guys will give it a try, I know its tricky with ports but will figure it out

I doubt the license allows that though.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Clouvider said: I doubt the license allows that though.

The terms don't cover it one way or another, I asked cpanel directly, I explained the situation, they kept to their guns of 1 license per IP, I pointed out I could put 100 servers behind 1 IP, they said, the license works against the IP and I need 1 license per IP.

I did notice something about a cPanel NAT license recently though so maybe they started considering that.

@TheOnlyDK, yes in principal that would work.

Its a bit of a grey area, morally you should probably not do it which is why I wont offer it, in practice it works fine and even when telling them what you intend to do, they don't really care.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

AnthonySmith said: The terms don't cover it one way or another, I asked cpanel directly, I explained the situation, they kept to their guns of 1 license per IP, I pointed out I could put 100 servers behind 1 IP, they said, the license works against the IP and I need 1 license per IP.

cPanel licensing is brutally stupid.

http://raindog308.com/internet/dear-cpanel-please-clarify-your-license/

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    Its a bit of a grey area, morally you should probably not do it which is why I wont offer it, in practice it works fine and even when telling them what you intend to do, they don't really care.

Well, for a hosting company, it's not a good idea. But for learning purposes and stuff, I think it should be fine. Honestly I think cpanel is a great product, however playing around with it not for profit is kinda expensive. Maybe later down the road I will get a license and play with it, for now VestaCP for my personal sites is good enough.

• A 1:1 NAT VPS, but with the IP's connecting to cPanel's license server all going through a single outbound IP would be a great idea, so everyone has full use of all ports, but it would still have to be NAT so outbound connects towards cPanel license server destination IP's could be NAT'd through the same external IP for all VPS's.