Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

INIZ 2 Year Review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

INIZ 2 Year Review

SwiftSwift Member
edited March 2016 in Reviews

Hey guys, have been a long lurker around here. Was introduced to the world of low end VPSes 3 years back. Had some problems along the way with some people but ultimately have been smooth sailing with INIZ.

I've since moved on to another host and decided to leave them a review after serving me well for quite some time.

Specs:
4 vCPU, 100GB HDD, 2GB RAM, 2TB Bandwidth

Benchmark:

Uptime:
Latest longest downtime was 1.5 hours earlier this year. They were quick to apologize and explain the situation while offering a free extension. Otherwise uptime is great, didn't meet with any major problems throughout the 2 years.

Support
Didn't need to use their support much but when needed, they reply to my questions quick and effectively answered my queries (within minutes should it be during their working hours)

Overall/TLDR:
Satisfied with their service and with the plan that I was on, cannot complain for the performance, value and support. INIZ has been great for me.

P.S I've written a more "detailed" (rather personal, bloggy style, review on my site) review here: https://swiftworld.net/2016/03/18/iniz-hosting-2-year-review/

EDIT: Removed uptime percentage as it isn't fully accurate.

Comments

• 1,8% downtime in a time frame of 2 years, are over 14 full days of downtime. You can't call them minor outages...

• k0nslk0nsl Member
    edited March 2016

I would blur that IP if I were you.

[Edit: nevermind, he's linking to his site in the OP so he probably doesn't care about showing the IP to LET audience. Question: is your site also hosted at Incero? Apparently yes. I took the time to read your site, hehe.]

• Patrick was good, but I dont trust or know about the new owner. My subscription with iniz expired last few weeks and Im done with iniz from then.

• SwiftSwift Member

@jvnadr said:
    1,8% downtime in a time frame of 2 years, are over 14 full days of downtime. You can't call them minor outages...

The downtime includes time when I restart/shutdown/config my VPS as well. Unfortunately I do not have a specific record of the exact timings and lengths of each downtime that is caused by me.

In addition, my monitor only pings every 5 minutes. Meaning, if coincidentally it is down for that ping, the min down time will always be at least 5 minutes.

I don't think it's fair to count it like that right. Where you just total up 14 days as if it were 14 days straight of downtime. I don't know though but it works out well for me. Maybe because I'm not doing any crucial stuff yet and don't really feel the pain.

@k0nsl said:
    I would blur that IP if I were you.

[Edit: nevermind, he's linking to his site in the OP so he probably doesn't care about showing the IP to LET audience. Question: is your site also hosted at Incero? Apparently yes. I took the time to read your site, hehe.]

Thanks for the read :). Can someone enlighten me as to why showing the IP address like that would be dangerous considering that people could simply get the IP directly from my website and then do whatever they want as they would if I were to simply show it like that?

I have to admit that I am not the best at all these networking and security stuff. I just follow the basics and what people do hoping that I don't get into any deep problems. If there are security concerns with exposing the IP address like that I'll be sure not to show it in whatever I do in future stuff.

Yes my new host is with Incero.

@namhuy said:
    Patrick was good, but I dont trust or know about the new owner. My subscription with iniz expired last few weeks and Im done with iniz from then.

Yeah I did read about the skepticism after the new owners came in. I did, initially, signed up due to the great reviews about Patrick. That said, Iniz didn't gotten any worse since the era of the new owners. At least i felt that they were fine.

• badpatrickbadpatrick Member
    edited March 2016

I loved my openvz box by iniz. It's good to see a positive review on them again.

Why did you leave? outgrow plan?

• plz remove the IP from the screenshot.

• SwiftSwift Member

@badpatrick said:
    I loved my openvz box by iniz. It's good to see a positive review on them again.

Why did you leave? outgrow plan?

Simply went for another provider that had slightly better specifications for the same amount of money. I'm sort of the value for money kind of person.

@Mridul said:
    plz remove the IP from the screenshot.

Alright I've removed it. Can someone briefly explain to me why exactly it is such a huge risk to show the IP address?

• henkbhenkb Member

Showing IP or website could help people to bug you. Like DDOS'ing or try to hack your system.
    Don't know why, maybe they don't have anything else to do?

• nepsneps Member
    edited March 2016

Swift said: Uptime: ~98.2% over 2 years. Some of the downtime due to me restarting the VPS / doing some configuration. Latest longest downtime was 1.5 hours earlier this year. They were quick to apologize and explain the situation while offering a free extension.

If you're trying to give your host a good review I think you should edit your post to de-emphasize this, if this downtime is due to your own shutdowns/restarts and not the actual service uptime. Many people will scan your review, see "uptime: 98.2%," go blechh and move on. If you have uptime logs over a recent, shorter period where you did not perform any reboots/restarts/reconfigs, maybe you should post that number instead, it'll be a truer measure of their service's uptime.

Swift said: Alright I've removed it. Can someone briefly explain to me why exactly it is such a huge risk to show the IP address?

The same reason movies don't use real phone numbers (if they're responsible). Anything public with a large enough audience is bound to have a few bored members of the crowd who'd dial the number just for the hell of it. Same case with IP's, why attract attention? In any case, better safe than sorry.

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • ktkt Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2016

Thanks for the review, we were caught between several dozen short downtimes when we moved DCs around this time last year, I guess we were in the early phase before they suddenly became a much more known figure here (line card issues etc.). Not sure we can count anywhere close to 14 days but there was certainly network issues in LA.

namhuy said: Patrick was good, but I dont trust or know about the new owner.

May I know what you know about Patrick that you don't know about me? I certainly don't have time to spend several hours on IRC each day but do try to post & help here when I can. We no doubt have had issues last October being the notorious one and I've finally sorted time out to start getting things rolling and INIZ becoming a known brand again. Hence why I've done next to no advertisement whilst we still maintain a good daily order and service rate.

We've been doing hardware upgrades & service improvements in NL and now nearly complete, weekly backups are in place for 90% of the nodes for disastery recovery. We're now working on US locations, currently we're looking to open VA and implement this from the start using the correct hardware (rather than older SuperMicros which seem to have caused us more problems than the HP DL180s with same specs).

LA is in the pipeline for this summer where we'll remove almost all the hardware and have it replaced with HP G8/9s (my preference, infact I like HP/Dell over Supermicro) with better CPUs and SSD caching, 10G networking also seems likely and of course implementing weekly backups there as well. Whilst it is purely for disaster recovery, we'd be happy to help restore clients data we hold if they need it.

• Swift said: I don't think it's fair to count it like that right. Where you just total up 14 days as if it were 14 days straight of downtime. I don't know though but it works out well for me. Maybe because I'm not doing any crucial stuff yet and don't really feel the pain.

Generally speaking, 98,2% uptime is no good at all. A less critical infrastructure could be fine with ~99,5%, some minor projects with a 99%, but anything lower than that cannot lead to a proud provider.

kt said: We've been doing hardware upgrades & service improvements in NL and now nearly complete, weekly backups are in place for 90% of the nodes for disastery recovery.

I had a vps with INIZ back in Patrick days for production purposes (a couple of web sites) and I terminated it long ago, when I was not using it any more. That was before you take control of the company. I was happy with the service he provided that time. There was a period near the ownership chance that I remember a lot of complains in LET, but it seem continuous problems are not present any more. Seem your efforts are stabilizing your company.