Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would you consider high-end?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What would you consider high-end?

alfredalfred Member, Host Rep

I know this is a weird question to ask in LET, but, what specs would make an unmanaged VPS "high end" (or at least not crappy) in your opinion?

I'm using 'specs' here loosely. Consider obvious things like CPU, RAM, disk (capacity & I/O), network, uptime; but also factors such as virtualization, control panel, support, and service.

Comments

• ATHKATHK Member

It's not about specs, you can have a quantum server, we just want you to sell it at a maximum of $7 per month.

• alfredalfred Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2016

@ATHK said:
    It's not about specs, you can have a quantum server, we just want you to sell it at a maximum of $7 per month.

Haha I know :)

To be honest, sometimes I wish the "Provider" title didn't show up. This thread isn't about me, I'm just genuinely curious since I've been thinking about it a bit given a couple of threads recently.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited March 2016

Own redundant network and hardware, good quality and not congested network, lots of peering (not a must in the US), full virtualization or paravirtualization, uptime as close to 100 % as reasonable considering the price, fast support at any time of the day, enough capacity to mitigate common DDoS attacks, staff always available at the datacenter, zero outsourced support.

All those are a must if you really want to offer a "premium" service, but having them doesn't make your service great instantly ;)

• alfredalfred Member, Host Rep

@Nyr said:

Good point. I guess it's the difference between a large & reputable VPS/dedi provider and a small one.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited March 2016

alfred said: Good point. I guess it's the difference between a large & reputable VPS/dedi provider and a small one.

Being small, it's kinda difficult to offer a "premium" service since you need to outsource many critical infrastructure and would end up just reselling someone's service.

But you don't need to be really big to offer a good enough service for most customers, see RamNode or Prometeus for example :)

• In my book, "high end" is about two important ratios: 1) specs to price, 2) vps to host node.

Example: I would consider a 128 MB RAM VPS for $7/m to be "high end" since the price per GB is north of $50 per GB. If you only have 40 of these on your 8 GB RAM node, then it's higher-end, since the node isn't being completely oversold. Of course, this is ignoring your processor :)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@YourLastHost said:
    In my book, "high end" is about two important ratios: 1) specs to price, 2) vps to host node.

For me, the specs are just a qualifier. It's about the service.

I can call WiredTree at 2am and talk to someone. If I open a ticket, I always get an answer within 10 mins, and they resolve issues extremely quickly. When there are big security outages (e.g., openssh vuln) they're telling me about it before I read about it. Etc. I know all the summer hosts promise 24x7 support, blah blah but it's not the same.

WiredTree, LiquidWeb, KnownHost, etc. are high end because of service, not specs. Their specs aren't much different than typical LEB providers, though they often run different virtualization (e.g., Virtuozzo commercial instead of OpenVZ).

I wouldn't put Linode in the same category though they're kind of MiddleEnd. I might put AWS or Azure in the HighEnd category because while they don't have the same friendly handholding service someone like WT does, they do have large professional staff watching things 24x7.

Thanked by 3alfred badpatrick bersy