Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESXI with 1 IPv4 and IPv6 block
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ESXI with 1 IPv4 and IPv6 block

TajbyteTajbyte Member
edited March 2016 in Help

Hello,

Recently got a dedicated server with online.net and want to install Fress ESXI Version 6 and want to assing it IP V4 and want to use IP V6 on client VM... Do any one tried if it is working fine or better to order IP V4

Thank you in advance for your help

Comments

• Although I've never tried it, this should be possible, as ESXi guests do not route traffic through the host. If you do decide to try this, please let me know how it goes.

• NomadNomad Member

Your route goes through installing something like pfsense to route all the traffic.

Your will need another IP address since ESXi won't let go of it. You can't use IPv6 on ESXi itself but on VPSes you can.

I have some VPSes on my esxi machines. Most connects the Internet through a shared IPv4 address whilst some doesn't use pfsense but goes directly to the Internet with additional IPv4 addresses.

IPv6 on pfsense on esxi on Online.net is a b..tch though. Does work but requires some stuff to do.

• @OnraHost_Zack said:
    Although I've never tried it, this should be possible, as ESXi guests do not route traffic through the host. If you do decide to try this, please let me know how it goes.

Do u know any other virtualization that support without buying additional ip address

• NomadNomad Member

With Proxmox you can route traffic to VPSes through iptables and ports.

• You can use ESXi with only 1 public IP address but its tricky and required IPMI access. Basically you install PFSense + VPN on an internal IP address, then log in to the server via IPMI and move the ESXi mangement interface to the internal PFSense switch and bridge the PFSense WAN interface to the physical ethernet port.

This works and you can access the ESXi managment by VPNing to PFSense but it will such if something goes wrong and e.g. the PFSense VM doesn't start up correctly

• Do not forget there is a limit on IPV4, that online net accepts.

• NomadNomad Member

@racksx, what Iimit? Didn't they remove those afterwards?

• @Nomad said:
    racksx, what Iimit? Didn't they remove those afterwards?

It depends on the server, and the support package, i belive there is up to 16 paid and more only if you upgrade to a specific support package

• NomadNomad Member
    edited March 2016

@racksx,

Oh, I thought you were talking about the another limit.
    With their last limited offer, they had a weird limitation of servers having a maximum of 1 failover ip. Later on they removed that I think.

Other than that, indeed, they do have that limit.
    But right now you can't see how many IP's you can add on their control panel and they didn't respond to why when I asked it on IRC to bene either. So, who knows...