Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Storage Machine
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Storage Machine

Hi,

We are looking for these type of specs

6 or 8 or 10 or 12 disk machine

In that 2x500GB SSD , If the SSD is having more than 600MB write speed we will ignore RAID. Else we will use RAID for that.

And the remaining can be SATA HDD , 4x4TB , 6X4TB , 8X4TB with RAID 10 or 6

We are happy to opt for any of the below condition. Cheaper the best.

1) 10GBPS port being shared by 4 machines
2) 2GBPS port for every machine

If you would like to suggest some other specs for filehosting site, I am happy to accept. ETA for buying the machine less than 3 weeks.

Comments

• AshleyUkAshleyUk Member
    edited March 2016

Not sure on your budget, however only place I can think of that allow you to setup as you require and not break the bank is : https://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/details-servers.xml?range=STORAGE&id=2016-FS-MAX

One off fee's for the drives so will keep monthly costs down if your looking to stay for a long period of time.

• @mikeyur

You could also do this using ObjSpace then you don't have to worry about serving content or scaling out.

• imgmoneyimgmoney Member
    edited March 2016

@AshleyUk said:
    Not sure on your budget, however only place I can think of that allow you to setup as you require and not break the bank is : https://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/details-servers.xml?range=STORAGE&id=2016-FS-MAX

One off fee's for the drives so will keep monthly costs down if your looking to stay for a long period of time.

I looked into them , till we scale and yield some revenue we would like to avoid the setup fees or service fees.

Any better option? or config ?

@MarkTurner said:
    mikeyur

You could also do this using ObjSpace then you don't have to worry about serving content or scaling out.

Can you explain what do you mean ?

• @imgmoney

If you drop the need for SSD and more than 1Gbps then yes. However your be hard come by, as most companies will want some form of upfront payment on a large order or large monthly commitment.

• imgmoney said: Can you explain what do you mean ?

(The assumption here is that you are legally hosting these files - not a warez site for example)

If you are running a file download site, then you can place your files on ObjSpace then rather than referencing the file using a URL on your server, you would reference a URL on ObjSpace.

As new files came in you would upload the ObjSpace, you could mark them as publicly accessible or accessible by token. A visitor goes to your site and when they want to download a file, you will use an ObjSpace URL so offloading the whole storage/download headache to ObjSpace.

You just need a small system to run your frontend on it.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2016

@imgmoney said:
    Can you explain what do you mean ?

As you are hosting a file sharing site, you can use whats know as an Object Store, its a way of storing files in an infinatly scaleable way. I'm guessing your going to have to customize the sharing script anyway.

Im not an expert but there are two ways it can work, you upload files to the ObjStore through an API (S3 for example) and generate a public link to that file which you store in a database. Then, when someone wants to download the file you just present them with that link.

The other way is similar, but the ObjStore is private, and you have to send the file through your webserver, this allows you to control the download with authentication (and cap speeds?) and the url its coming from.

IMO, ObjStore is MUCH easier to setup AND maintain than a dedicated file server, you wont have to deal with replication and bottleneks in the Bandwidth/IOps/CPU/RAM etc etc.

If you need a dev for this, I can help < Harmless plug, please don't flame me

Dammit Mike, too fast for me. :)

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

pbgben said: IMO, ObjStore is MUCH easier to setup AND maintain than a dedicated file server, you wont have to deal with replication and bottleneks in the Bandwidth/IOps/CPU/RAM etc etc.

Maybe, but it's many times more expensive.

edited March 2016

@Nyr said:
    Maybe, but it's many times more expensive.

At Delimiters pricing Its a sweet option to start with! Then setup your own objs cluster.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@pbgben said:

OP is directly asking for 10 gbps of bandwidth. I doubt that it come cheap with Delimiter object storage, even if they can make a really good deal.

@Nyr said:
    OP is directly asking for 10 gbps of bandwidth. I doubt that it come cheap with Delimiter object storage, even if they can make a really good deal.

OP also wanted other suggestions "Any better option? or config ?"

• Nyr said: OP is directly asking for 10 gbps of bandwidth. I doubt that it come cheap with Delimiter object storage, even if they can make a really good deal.

ObjSpace heads are all 10GE connected

• @Nyr said:

We have the bandwidth in ATL to do it, but you're right that 10GE unmetered isn't going to be cheap.

@imgmoney if you have actual usage (storage & bandwidth) I could give you a proper quote, as Mark stated all ObjSpace heads are connected at 10GE.

• imgmoneyimgmoney Member
    edited March 2016

Well we are going to use a PERL script which will do those jobs. Since it will have lots of option to it. So @mikeyur do you able to provide the machine at the mentioned specifications ?

• @imgmoney said:
    Well we are going to use a PER: script which will do those jobs. Since it will have lots of option to it. So mikeyur do you able to provide the machine at the mentioned specifications ?

You just provided that you need a lot of storage, HW RAID, and a 2Gbps port or more per server. Are you looking for an unmetered connection? If no, how much bandwidth do you need a month? CPU/Memory requirements?

• @mikeyur said:
    You just provided that you need a lot of storage, HW RAID, and a 2Gbps port or more per server. Are you looking for an unmetered connection? If no, how much bandwidth do you need a month? CPU/Memory requirements?

I will be doing either of this. 5 server sharing 10GBPS shared port. Or each server having 2GBPS port.

Yes Unmetered. CPU and Memory should be recommended specs for the port and raid we going to use. It should not down perform due to CPU and Memory.

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

@imgmoney said:
    Yes Unmetered. CPU and Memory should be recommended specs for the port and raid we going to use. It should not down perform due to CPU and Memory.

Do you have skype ? Please add qovic.bharat and we could work out a deal for you.