Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner's disk drives
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner's disk drives

2460124601 Member

Hello, I just want to know how reliable are Hetzner's disk drives when it comes to their storage servers, mainly SX61 which has desktop i7-3770 but 4x6tb drives. I've read stories about their desktop servers having problems with disks or non-ecc rams, can anyone tell me their SX61 is any good or are they serving up green drives of 6tb?

Comments

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

the good thing about Hetzner is that you can try their server for 2 weeks, check the drives state and cancel it if you want. I haven't tried their storage line, but I have a server from their auction which performs intensive IO tasks. Its uptime is 270 days.

Thanked by 224601 vimalware
  • There new SX*1 range are all few months old at most and use enterprise HGST drives, nothing like the older 3TB drives they have kicking around in the server bidding.

• SpacedustSpacedust Member
    edited March 2016

From my experience:

In the past desktop Samsung drives they were using were a strong perfomers.

In the middle age they've started using Seagate drives which were failing like crazy (Barracuda 7200.12 and 7200.14 series) but some were running well like Barracuda XT.

The enterprise Constellation drives lasted long (25000 Power On Hours).

Now they are using HGST enterprise drives which can fail even after 300 Power On Hours or last for years (we have such in a brand new server). If you are lucky to get WD RE4 series then they will be all fine.

The worst thing about Hetzner is when you order a server with completely new drives and after a month one of them would fail, then they would replace it with a different one but not brand new but very old with tons of errors (even with Long Extended Test failed). They just try to do the test over and over till it's finally passed.

If they don't believe the disk is really faulty they would keep the server in rescue mode for testing until it passes or failes the extended test.

Finally horrible desktop cases (see their YouTube channel) without hot-swapping so you always have downtime when replacing the drive.

That's why I'm staying away from Hetzner for now.

Thanked by 124601
  • Fair bit of the above may be true, however they are moving towards slowly more enterprise stuff. The new SX*1 range is hot swappable as well. Had pretty good performance out of them compared to the previous storage range.

Thanked by 124601
  • I have a SX291 server and it was delivered with new drives. One of them failed recently and was replaced with a new drive within 30 minutes of opening a ticket. The drive was hot-swapped and there was no downtime.

• We've also had serious failure of their MSI motherboard based on LGA 1336. All services except the web server were freezing 5 minutes after reboot and we weren't able even to launch mc, mail queue wasn't moving - total disaster.

The've replaced the whole server and each disk (2x SSD + 2x HDD) with the same hardware but this didn't solve the problem. Only the additional Intel NIC was left. Nothing helped and the've blamed us it's our (software) problem. They refused to do the replacement again.

We had to buy completely new server with different hardware, pay the setup fee and move about 2 TB of data in less than 48 hours and everything instantly started working again, no software has been touched.

This is how desktop hardware work in a server. You never know when it's going to happen.

Thanked by 124601
  • 2460124601 Member

Thanks for the replies, I guess I'll do a trial and see how it goes or just go with their storage box so I don't have to worry about drive failures.

• Layer03Layer03 Member, Host Rep

Best to do a trial test it out and if happy keep it. If you do go this route let us know how it went.

• Online.net should go the same way as well. If you install OS with them or if you're a business customer then sorry no refunds at all ;(

• You should test your HDD before using. My 2x3TB HDD have bad sectors after 1 year, but they replace them within 10 minutes, 1 brand new WD, 1 Seagate 15000 hours

• Lol - they gave 200 "servers" to the school:

• 2460124601 Member

@Layer03 said:
    Best to do a trial test it out and if happy keep it. If you do go this route let us know how it went.

Finally got it. The drives are indeed new (just a few hours of power) and are Enterprise drives, specifically Ultrastar 7K6000 with 10^15 URE. So I'm going to Raid 5 this mad f@ckr :D

• Layer03Layer03 Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2016

@24601 said:
    Finally got it. The drives are indeed new (just a few hours of power) and are Enterprise drives, specifically Ultrastar 7K6000 with 10^15 URE. So I'm going to Raid 5 this mad f@ckr :D

Great news, have fun...

Thanked by 124601