Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ok going live in couple of Days, need help!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ok going live in couple of Days, need help!

edited December 2011 in General

Hey all! I will be going live, and to be honest, this will be my first time doing a unmanaged VPS. I am reading massive tutorials online on how to install nginx/lighttpd/mysql/etc, I just feel like I am left alone, and was wondering if there is like 1 Big package that let's me install everything at once? Also I was wondering if theres any free Admin control panels that makes your life easier instead of in the command line all the time (ONLY If the control panels don't effect ram and are very lightweight)

Okay so my plans are when I get my new unmanaged vps is.

Download lighttpd I guess, dunno what to do but I found a guide, install that, then do php (latest version) then do mysql, and I should be good to go right? I never touched linux in my life, been a windows guy myself for 19years (how old I am) so any help on what's the best plugins, oh yeah I will be install eAccelerator also, or whatever cache system is the best, but It's pretty much me just googling "how to xxxx linux" and hoping for the best, but I would love for some of you guys to help me on plugins/etc that would make a noob's life easier,

Thank you!

EDIT: Also, if you guys could come up with a basic plan for me that would help me alot, like a simple timeline on what to install first/etc or does it matter? :P Sorry ^_^ So nooob :D

But I am also so anxious as u can see :O I've been on shared hosting my whole life.... this is a great leap of faith from me moving to a VPS, I really do hope you guys can make me love it even more.

Comments

• Seems that you haven't read enough. Sorry for this answer

Just experiment, don't expect to get the things working at the first try. That's the way to learn.

• Why not go into a "development" phase first... There is no point in going live if you aren't sure what to do.

Buy a cheap VPS (under $3-$4), and start testing and trying things out. If you mess things up too much, just re-install the iso.
    (Best way to learn, and it's how I learnt... Just experiment).

• jhjh Member

I agree with @Adam. Have a play around first and decide what software you need exactly as the chances are you don't need everything you mentioned.

• bobinfobobinfo Member
    edited December 2011

Experiment!

It's the good thing with a VPS you can reinstall easily, so you can break things without worring :)

I'd get a cheap VPS (openvz would be enough) with a good distro (i'd advise Debian, apt-get is great) and try to install / set up apps, upgrade the system, set a little web server up, etc

I'd recommend nginx + php-fpm but you can try every possibilities before you make your choice..

You'd rather not use a panel imho: command line is the best way and to learn, you'd rather have to, a panel could make you lazy... :)

Good luck & have fun :D

(Oh, and you could setup GNU/Linux in your desktop too, good way to learn & it's more stable & secure than windowz)

• LongShotLongShot Member
    edited December 2011

@monkuar: I just feel like I am left alone, and was wondering if there is like 1 Big package that let's me install everything at once?

You can experiment with XAMPP for Linux. It's a single package LAMP stack that you just extract into a directory. You will need at least 256MB or more to run:

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-linux.html

• Don't experiment with XAMPP, better do things by hand. By using XAMPP u won't learn much

• @gsrdgrdghd said: Don't experiment with XAMPP, better do things by hand. By using XAMPP u won't learn much

Indeed, and XAMPP is pretty crappy too.
    Try the scripts at http://tuxlite.com , use them all the time.
    Makes my life so much easier!
    (PS: not my script and im not connected to it)

Thanked by 1yomero
  • vivithemagevivithemage Member, Host Rep

One of the easiest ways to set this up is looking on howtoforge.com for how-to's on setting up these sort of boxes in linux. Do a search there, super useful!

• Could I ask what are you planning to do with your vps?
    If you are interested in Admin control panel, I will suggest you to go buy vps that offers Host-in-Abox (KLOXO) for Cento (e.g. buyvm, chicagovps, & etc..).

So, as soon as vps is ready and ISO installed, you get yourself ready to use kloxo control panel which similar to Cpanel.
    Of course you need to do reading and playing around with kloxo as well as others stuff.

• innya all I am going to be doing is running a simple leightweight forum system, even more lightweight then fluxbb probably, that's all.
    (custom one i made)

• NickMNickM Member
    edited December 2011

You could use maxexcloo's Minimal and Server scripts to get rid of unneeded stuff and set up everything you'd need (nginx, PHP, and MySQL) to host your forum.

• There's a lot of guides out there that will help you, I learned a good deal from them a few years ago.

Basically when I am setting up a webserver, I download the nginx and php source, and compile them, and install whatever packages they need based off of the errors ./configure throws (typically zlib, png, jpeg, gd, etc)

For php this is my configure: ./configure --with-zlib --with-openssl=/usr --with-gd --enable-fpm --with-mysql --with-mysqli --with-jpeg-dir

That should include everything you need for most php scripts.

Configuring everything is pretty easy really. There will be a small addition to php.ini for your opcode cacher, php-fpm.conf will need to be set up, mostly just uncommenting some lines, and setting how many processes you want when idle, and max under load. nginx.conf will require some settings, there's a lot of room for optimization as well, but basically you'll want to uncomment the lines following location ~ .php$ and change fastcgi_param (I also use a unix socket for fastcgi_pass, easy to set up just same socket in php-fpm).

Installing APC is easy, you just download the source, run 'phpize' (after php is installed) and then ./configure and make. Then just throw the admin script in your html directory (for nginx default is /usr/local/nginx/html) and add + configure the settings in php.ini

MySQL, I tend to just use the distribution's repo, compiling it from source is just an annoyance. I would use MariaDB if your repo has it, instead of MySQL.

• Follow LEB's guide with the 64MB RAM thing! It's great! And lighttpd is cool with vhosts! :D

I suggest don't go to control panels first, I suggest learning how to use CLI first. If you'll get used to it, you won't go control panel, it's fun! :D

• Yeah, I agree with these guys.
    If your running a single site with low traffic, Simple apache installation will work with MySQL and PhpMyAdmin If you want a GUI to control your databases.

Use the low end box Guide. :)

• WhizzWrWhizzWr Member
    edited December 2011

Well, my first VPS was an unmanaged VPS. Unmanaged =/= manual+complicated installation FYI.
    Go install Virtualmin GPL and you'll see what I meant.
    Some people would recommend going through manual installation & CLI so you can "learn".

It depends what you want to accomplish, though.
    Making your server working as secure and optimized as possible is overlapping with Sysadmin's job, but as for me, my objective is to get my site running, not to become a well-seasoned Sysadmin. :)

I had most thing working on the first try, given I'm modestly well versed on IT and avid manual reader. I admit though, GUI does make a difference. :p
    Having a basic CLI know-how is a must, but notice the word "basic", means it isn't supposed to be hard. It's just that when using an unmanaged server you'll be forced to to use CLI (err SSH?) (installing any kind of GUI requires input into CLI in most case) and you'll learn and get used to it anyway.

I won't exactly recommend you follow those guides you found on Google blindly.
    Especially when they told you to follow every " optimization" the authors made for their own setup without telling the reader why. Everyone's setup is different. Period.
    In fact I read only those guides in case I meet a problem and need to check which step did I missed.

Once the stock setup is working as it should, now it's the time you do the optimization, installing whatever plugin and tweak you might want.

Just my $0.02, and as always, YMMV.

• @LivingSouL said: And lighttpd is cool with vhosts!

I forget if it's this light-whatever or the other one but one of them has issues with the wordpress uploader. Not sure what the status is on that but I thought I would mention it.

• Well,after I'm bored with being very limited on shared hosting,I first got here on LEB with Hostrail....I learn from there as its the cheapest I could found...after Hostrail gone,I got other offers from LEB...most of it are unmanaged...thus I have to get myself comfortable,but since I'm already using Ubuntu on my PC,it wont be that hard to manage a VPS..

The early times on VPS,I did a lot of reinstall after finding out what I've done is not what I want. Every time reconfiguring the VPS,try to keep record of the command used,so in the future it can be improved and easier to setup again...

So,as told by @Adam,get a cheap VPS first and test it,then learn of the mistakes and success done..

• Make sure before you go live that you have as many issues as you can sorted. Clients have a habit of doing stuff you would never imagine so be prepared to fix them problems aswell.