Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Cloud" Offers from HVH : E3-1240v3 + 120 GB SSD / 200 GB HDD + 5 x IPv4 = $16 /M - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

"Cloud" Offers from HVH : E3-1240v3 + 120 GB SSD / 200 GB HDD + 5 x IPv4 = $16 /M

13»

Comments

• tommytommy Member

If that vm hosted on single node, how these become HA? Make nonsense, another dirty marketing trick.

They want to creat niche market but failed from beginning.

• hello. i'm new, can i use this cloud sever to create 4 kvm vps?

• @hungten said:
    hello. i'm new, can i use this cloud sever to create 4 kvm vps?

Nope.

• FalzoFalzo Member

so I did some more occasional speedtests, all ended up remarkably under 100 Mbps in down- and upload (on a shared Gbps port).

Atlanta, GA, US         Coloat          4.06MB/s
    Dallas, TX, US          Softlayer       4.10MB/s
    Seattle, WA, US         Softlayer       2.95MB/s
    San Jose, CA, US        Softlayer       3.28MB/s
    Washington, DC, US      Softlayer       2.00MB/s
    Tokyo, Japan            Linode          5.36MB/s
    Singapore               Softlayer       1.95MB/s

I don't need much traffic at all but would like to be able to burst on the connection sometimes. so I am sorry, but definitely won't keep this box.

next stop: delimiter, haha :-)

Thanked by 2Junkless mike0000
  • ErnieErnie Patron Provider, Veteran

@Falzo said:
    so I did some more occasional speedtests, all ended up remarkably under 100 Mbps in down- and upload (on a shared Gbps port).

> Dallas, TX, US          Softlayer       4.10MB/s
    > Seattle, WA, US         Softlayer       2.95MB/s
    > San Jose, CA, US        Softlayer       3.28MB/s
    > Washington, DC, US      Softlayer       2.00MB/s
    > Tokyo, Japan            Linode          5.36MB/s
    > Singapore               Softlayer       1.95MB/s
    > 

I don't need much traffic at all but would like to be able to burst on the connection sometimes. so I am sorry, but definitely won't keep this box.

Can you PM me your server IP. Id like to take a look into those speeds.

• @Falzo said:

> Dallas, TX, US          Softlayer       4.10MB/s
    > Seattle, WA, US         Softlayer       2.95MB/s
    > San Jose, CA, US        Softlayer       3.28MB/s
    > Washington, DC, US      Softlayer       2.00MB/s
    > Tokyo, Japan            Linode          5.36MB/s
    > Singapore               Softlayer       1.95MB/s
    > 

Maybe open a ticket about it ?

This is mine:

Location        Provider    Speed
    CDN         Cachefly    54.8MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US     Coloat      24.5MB/s 
    Dallas, TX, US      Softlayer   16.2MB/s 
    Seattle, WA, US     Softlayer   15.1MB/s 
    San Jose, CA, US    Softlayer   16.6MB/s 
    Washington, DC, US  Softlayer   45.7MB/s 

Tokyo, Japan        Linode      8.57MB/s 
    Singapore       Softlayer   6.10MB/s 

@Ernie

• @Ernie Is this supposed to have 100GB SSD or 120GB SSD? I remember reading it as 120GB when it first came out and today when ordering I see only 100GB, can we get that adjusted if we ticket in?

• sinsin Member

So how is everyone liking these? I'm really tempted to pick one up. Is the Buffalo network any better nowadays?

• FalzoFalzo Member

@Ernie said:

PMed. thanks for your efforts :-)

@TheOnlyDK said:
    Ernie Is this supposed to have 100GB SSD or 120GB SSD? I remember reading it as 120GB when it first came out and today when ordering I see only 100GB, can we get that adjusted if we ticket in?

We are altering the plans a little. However I can honor the 100GB SSD for you. Just open a ticket.

@Falzo said:

Thanks I responded.

• @Ernie said:
    We are altering the plans a little. However I can honor the 100GB SSD for you. Just open a ticket.

120GB correct?

• May i know unixbench score? And io speed?

@TheOnlyDK said:
    120GB correct?

Yes sorry.

@FredQc said:
    Ernie

Im not seeing the numbers that @Falzo is. I ran some tests on his server:

root@vm:~# wget http://speedtest.dal01.softlayer.com/downloads/test100.zip --2016-03-21 04:51:39-- http://speedtest.dal01.softlayer.com/downloads/test100.zip Resolving speedtest.dal01.softlayer.com (speedtest.dal01.softlayer.com)... 74.86.116.210, 2607:f0d0:1003:31::2 Connecting to speedtest.dal01.softlayer.com (speedtest.dal01.softlayer.com)|74.86.116.210|:80... connected. HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK Length: 104874307 (100M) [application/zip] Saving to: ‘test100.zip.3’

test100.zip.3 100%[============================================================================================================>] 100.02M 30.9MB/s in 3.2s

--2016-03-21 04:52:13-- http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test Resolving cachefly.cachefly.net (cachefly.cachefly.net)... 205.234.175.175 Connecting to cachefly.cachefly.net (cachefly.cachefly.net)|205.234.175.175|:80... connected. HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK Length: 104857600 (100M) [application/octet-stream] Saving to: ‘100mb.test.1’

100mb.test.1 100%[============================================================================================================>] 100.00M 30.8MB/s in 3.3s

2016-03-21 04:52:16 (30.2 MB/s) - ‘100mb.test.1’ saved [104857600/104857600]

From our looking glass:

root@vm:~# wget http://lg.buf.colocrossing.com/1000MB.test --2016-03-21 04:54:28-- http://lg.buf.colocrossing.com/1000MB.test Resolving lg.buf.colocrossing.com (lg.buf.colocrossing.com)... 198.12.127.26 Connecting to lg.buf.colocrossing.com (lg.buf.colocrossing.com)|198.12.127.26|:80... connected. HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK Length: 1000000000 (954M) [application/octet-stream] Saving to: ‘1000MB.test.1’

1000MB.test.1 48%[===================================================> ] 460.09M 104MB/s eta 6s

• FalzoFalzo Member

I can confirm that @Ernie did some tests on the same VM to investigate.

He has been very supportive and fair, yet I sadly don't see the same results on the same wgets he used, esp. for those softlayer testfiles.
    but while we were not able to reproduce the same results on both sides and the issue may not have been on his side at all, he offered me a refund which I do find very respectable.

maybe they decide later to allow nested virtualization on such a product, I'll have a look into HVH product range again ;-)

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Falzo said: I can confirm that @Ernie did some tests on the same VM to investigate.

He has been very supportive and fair, yet I sadly don't see the same results on the same wgets he used, esp. for those softlayer testfiles. but while we were not able to reproduce the same results on both sides and the issue may not have been on his side at all, he offered me a refund which I do find very respectable.

maybe they decide later to allow nested virtualization on such a product, I'll have a look into HVH product range again ;-)

Hope you are able to continue working with HVH. @Ernie works very hard to please, and we've done a ton of work recently in Buffalo to increase download speeds by changing the way our DDOS protection works.

• FredQcFredQc Member
    edited March 2016

@jbiloh said:
    we've done a ton of work recently in Buffalo to increase download speeds by changing the way our DDOS protection works.

It's certainly better than before but most of the time the network performance is sub-par compared to other networks / hosts.

The problem I see in Buffalo is that the speed cannot be sustained. It start ok-ish then falls at some Mb/sec or even Kb/sec. If your lucky you'll get some good benchmark results, but not often.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

FredQc said: It's certainly better than before but most of the time the network performance is sub-par compared to other networks / hosts.

The problem I see in Buffalo is that the speed cannot be sustained. It start ok-ish then falls at some Mb/sec or even Kb/sec. If your lucky you'll get some good benchmark results, but not often.

We're definitely not seeing anything like that from our data. Send me a PM with info and I'll look into it. Please make sure your using a dedicated server to test, as a VPS is not a reliable reference point.

• @jbiloh said:
    Hope you are able to continue working with HVH. Ernie works very hard to please, and we've done a ton of work recently in Buffalo to increase download speeds by changing the way our DDOS protection works.

Does the LA node have ddos protection?

@TheOnlyDK said:
    Does the LA node have ddos protection?

Not at this time. However we do have DDoS protection available for purchase in Buffalo.

• FredQcFredQc Member
    edited April 2016

If that can help some people here with this little box I managed to install OpenVZ and OpenVZ web panel on top of it.

I've launched a container and everything is working fine!

Linux centos 2.6.32-042stab113.21 #1 SMP Wed Mar 23 11:05:25 MSK 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Just follow this guide and say thanks to @Jarland :)

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/80563#Comment_1641154

Geekbench for the vz container: http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/5984199

Hopes this can help someone

Thanked by 2Carpe sin
  • CarpeCarpe Member

Wait to see if/when promotions again for LET/LEB

Thanked by 1bersy
  • Is this offer still available? @Ernie and can you tell me if it comes with ddos protection by default or that is an addon?

@Falzo any success in setting up virtualization with these dedicated resources?

• FredQcFredQc Member
    edited July 2016

@WebGuru said:

any success in setting up virtualization with these dedicated resources?

I have one with OpenVZ on top of it, works great.

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/7200593

• @FredQc said:
    @WebGuru said:

any success in setting up virtualization with these dedicated resources?

I have one with OpenVZ on top of it, works great.

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/7200593

Cool bench so you were able to setup VMs with the resources? What about the ddos mitigation? is it an addon or comes by default with the offer?

• FredQcFredQc Member

Yes, I have two VMs running at the moment. I don't see any slowyness, the ssd space is fast and the cpu threads are really dedicated.

No ddos mitigation available on these "Smart servers" IIRC.

• @FredQc thanks for sharing your experience i thought their Buffalo DC got ddos protection by default. Also the prices are increased now :(

• FalzoFalzo Member

@WebGuru said:

If you're fine with ovz or maybe lxc this should be possible. No kvm because of lacking cpu flags though... Can't tell if they changed their policies on that one by now.

• @Falzo said:

@WebGuru said:

If you're fine with ovz or maybe lxc this should be possible. No kvm because of lacking cpu flags though... Can't tell if they changed their policies on that one by now.

oh ok thanks for the info