Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Clouds with no shutdown cost
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Clouds with no shutdown cost

Hi,

Apart from amazon ec2 - are there any other cloud solutions where shutdown virtual machines are not charged ?

Thank You

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Azure (yes, they do Linux). Probably google compute.

Keep in mind that you will still be billed for some resources:

• disk, unless you release it
    • IP address, unless you release it in which case you'll get a different one when you reboot. For Azure this isn't as problematic as you always get a ${vmname}.cloudapp.net DNS CNAME
  • @raindog308 : Apart from these biggies - any other cheap place. Need to run a hadoop cluster.

• @darknessends said:
    Hi,

Apart from amazon ec2 - are there any other cloud solutions where shutdown virtual machines are not charged ?

Iwstack

Lunanode

• @Geekoine : Lunanode definitely charges for shutdown VM.
    IWStack seems to support it though

• @darknessends said:
    Geekoine : Lunanode definitely charges for shutdown VM.
    IWStack seems to support it though

I apologize, perhaps I got confused about Lunanode. I'm sure about Iwstack: stopped VMs are not charged, apart from storage and IP.

• @Geekoine : IWStack is a great suggestion you know.

• Iwstack is amazing:-) I love Prometeus

• darknessends said: Need to run a hadoop cluster

If you are going to run Hadoop then make sure your storage is completely diverse otherwise all your instances are going to be thrashing the same storage.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Scaleway?

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

We do