Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best open source spam killer for small business email hosting business!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best open source spam killer for small business email hosting business!

sydsyd Member

I have been thinking to deploy a hosted email solution for small businesses (SMEs) but I am still trying to figure out how to handle the spam.

At the moment I am looking at AASP but not sure if this is the right one to test before the deployment.

Any help on this topic would be highly appreciated.

Comments

• sydsyd Member

Sorry guys posted twice by mistake, must have clicked twice.

• GCatGCat Member

The irony is you posted twice the exact same thing which is commonly considered spam.

Thanked by 1cassa
  • YKMYKM Member

http://www.mailcleaner.org/ but read the forums for getting good results

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@YKM said:
    http://www.mailcleaner.org/ but read the forums for getting good results

It's just spamassassin on its own server. Not overly effective, adds complexity to the stack when most people just run SA on the same node as the MTA.

• @syd, I'm unsure if it's an option for you, but consider simply hosting your clients email with mxroute. Then spam issues become @jarland's burden.

It would be a quick (but good) initial foundation until you feel like moving to your own dedicated infrastructure?

Thanked by 1jar
  • @BeardyUnixGuy said:
    syd, I'm unsure if it's an option for you, but consider simply hosting your clients email with mxroute. Then spam issues become jarland's burden.

It would be a quick (but good) initial foundation until you feel like moving to your own dedicated infrastructure?

Except that I still recieve daily spam that always hits my inbox and have to filter myself :(

edited March 2016

@0xdragon said:
    Except that I still recieve daily spam that always hits my inbox and have to filter myself :(

Some people are just targets. Something you did somewhere got you on some major lists. Can't keep everyone clean all the time and keep email flowing, unfortunately.

• 0xdragon said: Except that I still recieve daily spam that always hits my inbox and have to filter myself :(

jarland said: Something you did somewhere got you on some major lists.

Must be all those colocrossing servers! I use mxroute with a publicly listed email address and very rarely get spam to the inbox, only one this month and it was a fake invoice type thing.

• linuxthefish said: Must be all those colocrossing servers! I use mxroute with a publicly listed email address and very rarely get spam to the inbox, only one this month and it was a fake invoice type thing.

I'm guessing that @jarland has a good oversight on this, and some people just do have bad luck. I put some of my e-mail addresses on the net, even on permanent web pages, and still get very little spam. Sometimes the companies I've had dealings with get out of hand with their daily mailouts, but when I've had enough I just set a filter to direct them to trash, which is quicker and safer than telling them.

• ASSP. It can be a bit tricky to set up, but once it's configured and learns mail patterns it's very good as a stand alone filter.

• +1 for ASSP.

I have been hosting/managing email for 20+ years for various projects (therefore some addresses that have been "in the wild" for a long, long time). ASSP has been the best spamfilter I've used.

It is a little tricky to setup if you want both inbound & outbound filtering; but once setup and "taught" I don't think you can beat it.

@linuxthefish said:
    only one this month and it was a fake invoice type thing.

Got that too, seems to be a new spam campaign. Trying to kill it.

• timnboystimnboys Member
    edited March 2016

Well why don't you try spam experts I have heard of them just never really used them before or if you have physical access to the dedi that is running this you could put a spam blocker appliance that blocks and filters all of the spam for you or if you want open source only SpamAssassin would be your best bet for open source and free

• @jarland said:
    Got that too, seems to be a new spam campaign. Trying to kill it.

I'll be so happy if you can do that. I am on mx1 at MXRoute, and I get 10-15 of those a day. I move to the spam folder, but they have been getting into the inbox consistently.

Thanked by 1jar
  • sydsyd Member

@dot_txt said:
    ASSP. It can be a bit tricky to set up, but once it's configured and learns mail patterns it's very good as a stand alone filter.

Any idea how long it would take ?
    For example if we get 100 mails everyday.

• @syd: It will learn pretty fast no matter what volume you receive, and it has some great rules to start with (regex matches, known-good IP ranges, IP damping rules) so it'll likely start catching spam right away. You may have to log in regularly and move mail samples between the 'spam' and 'notspam' folders. After you get a few thousand messages in there it'll really do a good job though.

Real life application: My junk folder that I cleared out a day or 2 ago has 4164 junk messages in it right now. I didn't get any spam messages in my inbox that I recall, and my mail client hasn't found anything from a known source in my junk folder, so no false positives either.

• CFarenceCFarence Member
    edited March 2016

Not open source but have been using MailBorder for a while and its pretty good. The guy behind it says the pricing modal is going to change with the next version. Though he has pushed back that version release twice so far.

• sydsyd Member

@CFarence said:
    Not open source but have been using MailBorder for a while and its pretty good. The guy behind it says the pricing modal is going to change with the next version. Though he has pushed back that version release twice so far.

Are you using it for hosted solution ?

• @syd said:

I self host Microsoft Exchange and then self host Mailborder which sits in front of that.

• sydsyd Member

How many emails is this implementation is handling every 24 hours.
    Any recommendation for hardware specs ?

• @syd said:

I have it set up on a VMware VDS with 8GB RAM, 100GB Disk, and 4 CPU Cores. It's average load is about 2. It does about 40,000 messages per day.

A while back (when I worked at a different host) I was tasked with setting up a "perfect" spam filter. I had 3 x spam filters (16GB RAM, 200GB Disk, 8 CPU Cores each), all sitting behind an HAProxy firewall. Each node did 200,000 messages per hour, and handled like a dream.

• NomadNomad Member

Why don't you put it behind pfsense or likes and block all known spam servers for an extra layer of protection?

• NihimNihim Member

let's hijack the thread.
    For personal email hosting - setting and maintaing my own email server / spam filters / AV scanner seems like a lot of work I don't want to deal with atm - so for 1 domain with 1-3 personal email accounts as in sub1.domain sub2.domain etc, which provider would be the best?

Mxroute has been linked a lot of times but frankly for my small needs I would prefer something cheaper :D if quality doesn't become fully shit.

• BeardyUnixGuyBeardyUnixGuy Member
    edited March 2016

Nihim said: Mxroute has been linked a lot of times but frankly for my small needs I would prefer something cheaper

If mxroute is too expensive and you don't want to selfhost, then I guess you could just grab a plan at BuyShared and host email for your domains there. But, as far as I know, you'd only be getting a standard postfix+spamassassin stack without any mxroute-type or similar secret sauce.

I can't remember which SP mxroute uses for their additional filtering etc.

• This is probably the best option if you wish DIY solution. But it is resource heavy, depending on mail volume, minimum 2gb 4 core KVM or a cheap dedi. Disk of 50gb is plenty