Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to get RAM and Disk usage on DigitalOcean droplet via API
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to get RAM and Disk usage on DigitalOcean droplet via API

ckissickissi Member

I would like to create my own admin page in the backend where I can monitor the status of my DO droplets. Unfortunately, I cannot find RAM and Disk info in the DO API reference.
Is there a way to get this information via DO API or do you have some idea how to get it?

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited March 2016

The API doesn't make connections to an already provisioned droplet, and those are metrics that can only be viewed by software inside of the droplet. From an external view your VM is merely a qemu process using the allocated memory, and disk is a little different but still not accurately determined from the node side.

What you're looking for here is something like NewRelic that would allow you to make API calls to determine it based on software installed inside of the droplet.

• I wish they offer something like solusvm client api offers.

• RizRiz Member

Could always use Nagios with check by SSH or using NRPE -- this will allow you to monitor just about everything on your VPS.

• @ckissi said:
    I wish they offer something like solusvm client api offers.

SolusVM can only do it for OpenVZ, where them details can be easily retrieved.

Where Digital Ocean uses KVM only.

• ckissickissi Member
    edited March 2016

@Riz said:
    Could always use Nagios with check by SSH or using NRPE -- this will allow you to monitor >just about everything on your VPS.

Nagios is great, just too complex for what I need, I need only RAM and Disk usage and maybe CPU

• Wat about node query or nixstats?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

For that all you really need is passwordless ssh keys, no? You could also just have a daily cron job that dumps a text file into a http directory.

or...or....so many quick options.

Thanked by 1coreflux