Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where/how to learn about colocation and physical servers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Where/how to learn about colocation and physical servers?

kreibokreibo Member

Hello all,

I got an extensive experience managing and setting up all kind of virtual servers, but always on rented hardware. Some time ago I realized I may need to have my own machines running in a data center, however I lack the needed knowledge buy, set up and maintain those computers.

My questions are, where/how can I learn those topic? Like know which machines I need to buy (servers, switches, routers, RAID hardware, HDs, etc.), learn how to colocate those in a datacenter once I rent power and bandwidth, and so on.

Can you recomend any website with tutorials, books, courses? Thank you all!

Comments

• learn from the best @Jonchun :D

• Honestly I learned just being in the DataCenter. There is no really good tutorial to show you how exactly to run things because anything could go wrong in a DataCenter its just being in the area and learning from the people fixing the problems I feel would help the most. Somethings I still don't know and I've been doing this years on end. When I am at the DataCenter I'm always learning. Although I do have a college degree in this field its not always about the books. So my answer to you is start with a small server and learn whatever you need.