Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cron on Debian VPS without Control Panel - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cron on Debian VPS without Control Panel

2»

Comments

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2013

@jarland I have managed to use Crontab since. Good luck figuring out how to access my Ajenti, it's not obvious! And while I almost always appreciate your advice, I'm not sure how you expect me to firewall it off when both my smartphone and my home don't have Static IPs.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited March 2013

@shovenose said: Good luck figuring out how to access my Ajenti, it's not obvious!

Don't argue with the guy who compiled his first linux kernel at 12 :P
    I'm no big shot, but I know my security.

edited March 2013

< redacted > rude response hope you didn't read it.

• MAC address firewall it with that.

edited March 2013

@shovenose said: Well not everybody has a Mac Mr. I'm So Rich I Bought a Mac So Look How Cool I Am!

That's true, only people with a Mac can port scan.

See? You just ridiculed and laughed off industry standard advice from a professional. That's exactly what I'm talking about. You think you know better. You don't know how to perform advanced Linux tasks. I do. I know better. You don't. I'm not insulting you. Get better. I'm telling you how to do it. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

• Remember I am not the tech guy but I bet that is pretty possible in that instance.

edited March 2013

@jarland while you're at it why don't you try to take down my router as well?
    http://shovenose.dyndns.org/

And I was obviously being 101% sarcastic about the mac thing. I'm just angry at the moment which never ends well. I have a nice GUI port scanner utility on Windows as well...

@shovenose said: while you're at it why don't you try to take down my router as well?

How is that relevant? You're being obnoxious now, in response to sound advice. Again, I'm not insulting you. I won't think any less of you about it in an hour, but I'm telling you exactly what you're doing to try to help you out.

Also I wouldn't have posted that if I were you. And I sure as heck wouldn't turn on router administration over the internet. There's a thing called exploits. Everything doesn't boil down to passwords.

Surely a 10 year old router is not a challenge?

@shovenose said: Surely a 10 year old router is not a challenge?

I'm trying but I don't routinely break into routers :P

I did a while ago to someone who very well deserved it for directly targeting my clients, bricked their router for the day, but it's not something I spend a lot of time doing. Doesn't mean someone else doesn't have a bot scanning to exploit it tomorrow, build in a proxy, and capture all of your passwords between you and the internet ;)

I haven't even updated the firmware it's from 2005 :)

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

Thanks to @HostUS for getting this back up on the front page, a worthy gravedig indeed.