Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner users
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner users

Hello guys,
Someone can explain me about how works the bandwidth for Hetzner dedi servers?
What's happen after reach out 20TB/month?

Plus tell me about your experience with them.

Comments

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

You can simply buy more bandwidth, which is pretty reasonable when compared to other companies.

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

It should be limited to 10Mbps after that. However I never managed to use all 20TB yet.

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited March 2016

exception0x876 said: It should be limited to 10Mbps after that. However I never managed to use all 20TB yet.

Yes. The speed gets limited, after which you have the option to either purchase more bandwidth (pretty cheap) or continue for the remaining billing cycle at reduced speeds.

It really is difficult to push 20TB of data through the hetzner network anyway.

• @K4Y5 said:

When you say "remaining billing cycle" you mean as long as you have the server right? Because this is what I always known.

• @K4Y5 said:

What about use a seedbox?

• @mtsbatalha said:
    What about use a seedbox?

They only count outbound. So 20 TB is still okay.

• @XIAOSpider97 said:
    They only count outbound. So 20 TB is still okay.

Ok, one question. After reach out that limit I'll pay out per additional TB forever?

• @mtsbatalha
    http://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/Traffic/en
    half of your answers are on this page, read it!

• I just read Hetzner's traffic policy and it is pretty nice! They even let you use more traffic than your server's allowance, if an unexpected issue caused that (an app or something else). And the per TB price is not that expensive, costing less than 1.2€!

• @jvnadr said:
    I just read Hetzner's traffic policy and it is pretty nice! They even let you use more traffic than your server's allowance, if an unexpected issue caused that (an app or something else). And the per TB price is not that expensive, costing less than 1.2€!

Yeah, I see. But the question is: After reach out that limit (20TB/month) I'll pay out per additional TB forever?

• mtsbatalha said: Yeah, I see. But the question is: After reach out that limit (20TB/month) I'll pay out per additional TB forever?

Really?
    Oh, well, even if this is an extremely dumb question, here's the answer:
    No, you pay for every TB you use. In the next month, if you don't exceed your 20TB limit, you will not be charged for extra.
    But, really, if you cannot read and understand TOS and AUP or rules (and some very clear ones) from a provider, are u sure you can rent and handle servers?

• @jvnadr said:
    But, really, if you cannot read and understand TOS and AUP or rules (and some very clear ones) from a provider, are u sure you can rent and handle servers?

I see that info:
    "Option 1
    If you expect to exceed the traffic limit on a regular basis, we can offer a PERMANENT default connection for your server. This means that if your server crosses the traffic limit the connection will not be restricted but you will be CHARGED € 1.17 (price plus VAT, if applicable) per additional TB. To order the PERMANENT CONNECTION please send a support request to our "Product advice" team via the Robot, confirming the cost for the additional traffic."

For that I undersdand after reach out that limit (20TB/month) I will have pay out per TB additional forever, otherwise my connection is limited to 10 Mbit/s.
    Is correct?

• mtsbatalha said: For that I undersdand after reach out that limit (20TB/month) I will have pay out per TB additional forever, otherwise my connection is limited to 10 Mbit/s. Is correct?

You maybe have right, I should read better AUPs! But, to get a definite answer, you should open a ticket with them and aks them if you can pay only for a month the extra TB you want.

• Yeah, I've made that. Thanks!

• AmitzAmitz Member

Let us know the outcome!

• zeitgeistzeitgeist Member
    edited March 2016

@mtsbatalha said:
    Hello guys,
    Someone can explain me about how works the bandwidth for Hetzner dedi servers?
    What's happen after reach out 20TB/month?

Plus tell me about your experience with them.

A long time ago, like in 2008, the monthly traffic limit was 1TB and the bandwidth 100 Mbit/s. I exceeded that limit for 2 to 3 months by 0.1TB which resulted in this final message:

The IP address x.x.x.x (subnet y.y.y.y/29) of your
    server has exceeded the monthly traffic limit of 1.000 GB! According to
    our contract conditions the bandwidth will be reduced to 10 Mbit/s
    shortly.

Please identify the cause of the increased traffic usage. If you need
    permanently more than 1.000 GB traffic a month, we will give you the
    possibility to use a constant 100 Mbit/s-bandwidth for only 0,09 Euro
    (incl. VAT) per additional GB.

Two months later they agreed to remove the limitation again. So keep in mind that once they decide to limit your bandwidth, it's meant to be "permanently" and not just until the next billing cycle. You'd have to argue with them and promise not to exceed the bandwidth again.

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited March 2016

to clarify: if you hit the limit for the first time, your connection becomes limited to 10 Mbit/s. at this point you may choose to let hetzner remove this limit from the next billing period by clarifying with their support that this was a one time incident and cause has been removed.
    they will lift the limitation free of charge and without any further obligations regarding overage traffic (payment wise).

if you're going to hit the limit a second time, your connection will again be limited to 10 Mbit/s, but then you won't be able to get it removed for free again.
    the only way to get back to full speed after that is to accept paying 1,39€ (including german VAT) per TB overage.

for sure you can agree to paying overage beforehand, so you'll never get limited.

• Hello guys,
    The answer their support is:
    "Dear Client,

It is permanent reduction. It can be removed by apply one of two options described on http://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/Traffic/en in section "Exceeding Traffic".

Kind regards

Alexandr Boltris"

Thanks very much for the help of all you guys.

• are you dumb, or something like that @mtsbatalha ?
    i have posted this link twice here... .
    i hope you dont buy a dedi.. god sake i hope.

Thanked by 1boernd
  • @sercio said:
    are you dumb, or something like that mtsbatalha ?
    i have posted this link twice here... .
    i hope you dont buy a dedi.. god sake i hope.

Man you're a very ignorant person. All of another guys helped me with no problems, what about you?
    Remember ignorance does not takes you to no place.

• so you're too lazy to click a link and read all the questions you're asked here by yourself?
    nevermind do what you want :) .