Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To be Clear! Scaleway is unsecure! Your data could fail anytime... - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

To be Clear! Scaleway is unsecure! Your data could fail anytime...

2»

Comments

• hawc said: Yes, but your "disks" might be all on the same physical disk

There has to be a way to determine this surely.

Like on AWS you can 'RAID' up a bundle of disks

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@MarkTurner said:

Yeah Ticket.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

MarkTurner said: There has to be a way to determine this surely.

Do they not have storage group names, it is unlikely that 2 storage groups will be the same physical disk?

• AnthonySmith said: Do they not have storage group names, it is unlikely that 2 storage groups will be the same physical disk?

If you can't determine it in a reliable fashion, then its not worth gambling that it may or may not be.

• @iNap said:

Who said raid is backup? But a raid setup always better of course with daily backup. But better to know maybe raid keep your data then without raid could fall anytime.

@jvnadr said:
    That's why they do have snapshots and, even better, creating own images from snapshot. They do keep the snapshots and images in different disks and config than the LSSD, so, if your "local" disk crashes, you can recall at anytime the provided own image from a snapshot and save time and effort to setup all things again.

Just have to stop the server which is... not so great.

• @iNap said:
    RAID is not a backup, security function, or anything of that nature. If you rely on RAID for such reasons you are doing IT horribly, horribly wrong.

So, what exactly is RAID?

• @ManofServer said:
    So, what exactly is RAID?

RAID is a solution designed to reduce downtime in case of a drive failure. That's it, nothing less and nothing more (or may be a little bit more coz of the performance bump in some RAID setups i.e. RAID 0/10 etc).

• howardsl2howardsl2 Member
    edited March 2016

@ManofServer said:

If you accidentally overwrite an important file with garbage, RAID ensures that there exists multiple copies of garbage, in case one goes bad.

A backup, on the other hand, can enable you to restore that important file.

Thanked by 1agonyzt
  • iNapiNap Member

@ZweiTiger said:
    Who said raid is backup? But a raid setup always better of course with daily backup. But better to know maybe raid keep your data then without raid could fall anytime.

RAID cards can fail and nuke your data. So with RAID it can fail at any time as well. It is just less likely.

it is a very important distinction.

• gol3mgol3m Member

I know this thread is 3 years old, but apparently this has not changed. Support informed me that the local storage that scaleway VPS's use have no RAID.

Only if the server is powered off via the panel, the local storage will be backed up to a more permanent storage. So if your drive fails, your VPS will be reverted to the state it was in during the last shutdown. Imho that is pretty useless because you will likely have to restore a backup either way.

They let you run the CPU at 100% 24/7, use 60TB (30 up/down) of bandwidth a month, and punish the drive with 4000 IOPS 24/7 for just 2€, but then they cheap out on a second drive.

Thanked by 1Sofia_K
  • deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited March 2019

No perfect host exists just as there is no perfect girl.

That's just how it is in real world. Marriage becomes less stressful the sooner you realize this.

Thanked by 1poisson
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2019

gol3m said: They let you run the CPU at 100% 24/7, use 60TB (30 up/down) of bandwidth a month, and punish the drive with 4000 IOPS 24/7 for just 2€, but then they cheap out on a second drive.

Not surprised they cant afford raid then, disks do not grow on trees!, you want more it costs more.

Thanked by 1poisson
  • @deank said:
    No perfect host exists just as there is no perfect girl.

That's just how it is in real world. Marriage becomes less stressful the sooner you realize this.

Actually marriage becomes stressful as soon as you discover this.

• Cheap, convenient, secure - choose any two. It was already said - keep two VPSes at them, to switch to a backup one when primary fails.

• @gol3m said:
    I know this thread is 3 years old, but apparently this has not changed. Support informed me that the local storage that scaleway VPS's use have no RAID.

Only if the server is powered off via the panel, the local storage will be backed up to a more permanent storage. So if your drive fails, your VPS will be reverted to the state it was in during the last shutdown. Imho that is pretty useless because you will likely have to restore a backup either way.

They let you run the CPU at 100% 24/7, use 60TB (30 up/down) of bandwidth a month, and punish the drive with 4000 IOPS 24/7 for just 2€, but then they cheap out on a second drive.

3€ for 60TB

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2019

gol3m said: They let you run the CPU at 100% 24/7, use 60TB (30 up/down) of bandwidth a month, and punish the drive with 4000 IOPS 24/7 for just 2€, but then they cheap out on a second drive.

They let you order additional storage and then ask support to ensure it's on a different physical disk (OK, the latter part is bollocks, this needs to be automated in some way) so you can build a software RAID on your own.

For me though, this is absolutely a non-issue, all my hosts are backed up daily (or more often), and I also happily use single-disk dedis.

Thanked by 3gol3m jvnadr KuJoe
  • @rm_ said:

They let you order additional storage and then ask support to ensure it's on a different physical disk (OK, the latter part is bollocks, this needs to be automated in some way) so you can build a software RAID on your own.

For me though, this is absolutely a non-issue, all my hosts are backed up daily (or more often), and I also happily use single-disk dedis.

when you say "all my hosts are backed up daily"; you mean you, yourself only right. some of us are rebels and not sheep :D

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2019

needavps said: when you say "all my hosts are backed up daily"; you mean you, yourself only right.

Yes I mean my VPSes and dedis, not "hosts" as in providers which I use.

needavps said: some of us are rebels and not sheep

I don't get what you mean, it does not take to be a rebel to run without backups. It only means you are weak and dependent on others to safeguard your data, there's not much rebelling in that.

• @rm_ said:

needavps said: when you say "all my hosts are backed up daily"; you mean you, yourself only right.

Yes I mean my VPSes and dedis, not "hosts" as in providers which I use.

needavps said: some of us are rebels and not sheep

I don't get what you mean, it does not take to be a rebel to run without backups. It only means you are weak and dependent on others to safeguard your data, there's not much rebelling in that.

rebelling as in everyone says backup backup backup. It is also not dependent on others to safeguard your data if they advertise it as a feature. Scaleway doesn't so I don't understand the noise over 2nd drive so will give you that point if that was what you were going for.

• gol3m said: They let you run the CPU at 100% 24/7, use 60TB (30 up/down) of bandwidth a month, and punish the drive with 4000 IOPS 24/7 for just 2€, but then they cheap out on a second drive.

Scandal! Nobody better tell this guy about Kimsufi.

• @willie said:

Scandal! Nobody better tell this guy about Kimsufi.

Or, you know being allowed out of the kiddie pool...