Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What can I do with 96mb ram?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What can I do with 96mb ram?

feartrichfeartrich Member
edited August 2011 in Help

If I run Apache, MySQL, PHP, and MediaWiki, how many visitors can I handle at once? I'm looking at SecureDragon right now (though I missed out on the deal).

Also open to other examples...

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2011

Apache is kind of heavy in terms of webservers, have you considered one of the other options our there like Nginx, Lighttpd, or Cherokee?

That being said I did a test a while back and with Lighttpd, a 64MB Xen VPS (w/ 128MB swap) could handle serving a static HTML page to 400 users at the same time without any dropped connections.

** SIEGE 2.69
    ** Preparing 400 concurrent users for battle.
    The server is now under siege...
    Lifting the server siege...      done.
    Transactions:                     996 hits
    Availability:                 100.00 %
    Elapsed time:                  36.23 secs
    Data transferred:               4.79 MB
    Response time:                  4.72 secs
    Transaction rate:              27.49 trans/sec
    Throughput:                     0.13 MB/sec
    Concurrency:                  129.69
    Successful transactions:           0
    Failed transactions:               0
    Longest transaction:           32.01
    Shortest transaction:           0.00

Thanked by 1feartrich
  • For a simple blog/site you can use static site generator (ie: jekyll, hyde, blogofile, etc) + discuss for comments and you don't need to worry about security (except for the webserver and the vps itself)

Thanked by 1feartrich
  • Xen/KVM/VMware? or is OpenVZ

• feartrichfeartrich Member
    edited August 2011

openvz, of course :)

i want to see if i would be able to run a mediawiki site with 1000 visitors a day, and maybe ~100 edits/day on 96mb guaranteed/196mb burst...i havent run a major operation ever, so i have no clue on how much is needed

• "If I run Apache, MySQL, PHP, and MediaWiki, how many visitors can I handle at once?" With 96MB of RAM.... about 2, if you're lucky. I had a MediaWiki install on an Apache server with 512MB of RAM and it locked up with 20 simultaneous clients.

You'll need to start with nginx instead of Apache, and you'll need to set up Squid and APC, at the very least.

edited August 2011

The recommended minimum requirements are 256MB of RAM for a single-computer website and 40MB of storage, although this will not suffice for a busy public site or a site with uploading enabled. Some users have reported running MediaWiki on computers with as little as 48MB of RAM.

I guess it depends on the configuration?

• @feartrich: Go for Nginx. If you don't know how to install it, you can use LEB script.

@KuJoe: With proper optimization it uses about 50 MB memory.

total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:        126156     105608      20548          0      18288      52652
    -/+ buffers/cache:      34668      91488
    Swap:       369452          0     369452

@iKocka That looks more like 34MB of RAM to me, impressive!

• On my xen 96MB vps I've got php running using 18 M of memory

total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:            89         84          5          0         25         41
    -/+ buffers/cache:         18         71
    Swap:          255          1        254

Using my version of lowendscript with php-fpm.

Also ipv6 with 6to4.

• I don't believe Mediawiki caches out of the box either. That's some thing you'll need t look at as well. Save you some processor and memory if you could do that.

• iKockaiKocka Member
    edited August 2011

@Keith: Once you will have MediaWiki installed and there will be few hundred visits per day, memory usage will increase.

@drmike: CloudFlare does job well with it's agressive caching.

• CloudFlare does job well with it's agressive caching.

I believe that's the completed files. the caching I was suggesting was of mySQL and you have to have the program do that.

• @iKocka @drmike -- CloudFlare's "aggressive caching" is only setting the expiry date of static assets to far distant future to force the browsers not fetching those files again. I do not think it does any magic on dynamic files.

Even with static file aggressive caching, which you can easily do yourself as well, that increases very little workload to event based webservers like nginx or lighttpd.

• I do not think it does any magic on dynamic files.

I know with most of the caching that we do on the software platforms we use, static caching would only be half of what's needed. usually you can setup some sort of caching for MySQL calls and that helps a lot.

• I might have said before -- caching and cache invalidation have lots of comp science behind it and is a difficult problem to solve. These days in order to scale, your applications pretty much need to be smart enough to know how to cache (HTML blocks, MySQL results, etc) and how to invalidate them when new updates come in. The would differ from app to app.

MySQL query cache (simple to turn on in my.cnf) is okay when you have mostly-read queries. However your result set cache gets invalidated as soon as any one of the table in your query gets updated. Even on a simple app like WordPress, it creates way too much cache misses.

While caching is nice, wouldn't it be easier to just run a second LEB dedicated to MySQL?

• feartrichfeartrich Member
    edited August 2011

I believe MediaWiki has built in caching for static pages. Though I doubt this would save on much RAM, especially for a large site.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:File_cache

• I wish could figure out how to use the quote function.

@KuJoe While caching is nice, wouldn't it be easier to just run a second LEB dedicated to MySQL?

I know with most of the CMS caching function that I see, you can get rid of upwards of 90% of the calls.