Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RamHost node HDDs seized by German police - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RamHost node HDDs seized by German police

Comments

• The implications of pulling a random drive are horrendous.

I suspect it is only a matter of time before police grab the wrong server and actually do set off a chain reaction of bad things since the server is offline. One of these days someone is going to interface the wrong thing in series with an outsourced piece and the failover and survivability routine fail.

Here in the United States, police forces have been sued albeit unsuccessfully for discriminating against intelligent people who apply and even have superior test scores. Courts have said no foul, it's fine that PDs hire morons.

• @pubcrawler said: The implications of pulling a random drive are horrendous.

Who is talking about "pulling a random drive"?

• @gsrdgrdghd, luckily I am not on that node.

• It appears all drives were pulled from the server, although it didn't clearly say that.

• @pubcrawler said: It appears all drives were pulled from the server

So then why are you talking about "pulling a random drive"?

• Because if we have idiots doing seizures how do they know what is what? Refer to the story of an iMac being left in a seizure.

Only obvious if you have front facing drive sleds... So like many others, my embedded storage in that model would remain untouched and unnoticed. PCI-card based storage, probably invisible to them too.

All things to think about going forward as a provider.

• @pubcrawler said: Because if we have idiots doing seizures how do they know what is what?

They will give the IP+timestamp to the data center techs and ask them to be pointed to the correct server.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2013

@gsrdgrdghd said: They will give the IP+timestamp to the data center techs and ask them to be pointed to the correct server.

If they will do that, can sure ask them to make a copy too and stop the VM ? I mean, I could send them to the wrong rack and delete the evidence, then say, ah, i am sorry, meant 0 not O.
    If they were not worried the DC are in the gang, then getting a copy would be the correct way to do it.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Yeah guys, not RamNode :)

• @Nick_A said: Yeah guys, not RamNode :)

Sorry about that :/

Not a problem. I just hope people don't start sending me tickets asking for hosting in Germany now D:

• ramnetramnet Member, Host Rep

@KernelSanders said: I'm sure nick would have been in this thread if it were ramnode :)

We are not in this thread because there is nothing for us to say at the moment that hasn't already been said, either by us in our original notice, http://paste.ee/r/KCzXn , or in this thread by others.

If anyone asks us a question here I'll be glad to answer it.

edited February 2013

@Nick_A said: I just hope people don't start sending me tickets asking for hosting in Germany now

I wouldnt count on that, we get tons of ppl asking to move them to US locations because they thought we are an US company even without this kind of stories.

• @Nick_A said: Not a problem. I just hope people don't start sending me tickets asking for hosting in Germany now D:

Incero is expanding to Germany? Hook me up! :D

• edited February 2013

@ramnet We are not in this thread because there is nothing for us to say at the moment that hasn't already been said, either by us in our original notice, http://paste.ee/r/KCzXn , or in this thread by others

Oh nothing against you guys, I'm sure you're busy getting this sorted out. It was just that Nick is much more active here :)

Good luck with getting this all settled also

@mnpeep said: Incero is expanding to Germany? Hook me up! :D

I'm not sure I understand. You know we haven't been with Incero in a while, right? Or was this joke just too complicated for me?

• @Nick_A said: I'm not sure I understand. You know we haven't been with Incero in a while, right? Or was this joke just too complicated for me?

Yeah, it was a two-part joke...

@KernelSanders said: Good luck with getting this all settled also

I would follow up on the story and if there is no conviction, sue or join a party to sue for damages. They would help the industry and themselves.

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

@Nick_A @mnpeep More Incero jokes!...

• @RobertJFClarke said: More Incero jokes!...

Plot twist: You start using Incero instead of Avante.

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

@mnpeep Better yet.. both :O

• This industry needs a proper & robust offsite backup service - that anyone can use. We've thought about building one (using AWS & Glacier) - just not sure whether it'd be worth the time investment / headaches.

• I hate seeing these threads, it's always sad :(

• @serverbear said: This industry needs a proper & robust offsite backup service - that anyone can use. We've thought about building one (using AWS & Glacier) - just not sure whether it'd be worth the time investment / headaches.

I'd LOVE to see something like this. It might actually allow providers to do backups :S

• @TheHackBox said: I'd LOVE to see something like this. It might actually allow providers to do backups :S

Take your own backups! If you are paying for a LEB don't expect backups.

• I am really unsure how remote backups would be good in aggregate form for providers.

Large data over the wire takes forever to move around. At provider level needing a service you are speaking of very large piles of data.

Who backups the providers. The answer is and shall remain for a while the providers themselves. Too hard in many areas to get two locations with good enough throughput on public internet to even do this at scale. Any large provider would need own fiber commits and a slew of locations to deal with implications of varied networks and degradation of throughput.

• Never rely on your host's backups nor only 1 set of backups.

@mojeda said: Never rely on your host's backups nor only 1 set of backups.

True dat !
    We offer even free ftp backup space, 20 GB offsite for Biz and 10 onsite for anyone so ppl backup their data.
    I think nobody can say they didnt have the conditions to do it.

@TheHackBox said: I'd LOVE to see something like this. It might actually allow providers to do backups :S

Allow? Providers make the choice on their own. RAMHost chose not to do remote backups, and they don't promise them to their clients. I'm sure they can afford a remote server or two, but they don't want to do that.

• @pubcrawler said: Large data over the wire takes forever to move around. At provider level needing a service you are speaking of very large piles of data.

I'm sure the initial backup would take some time, but after that you can do it progressively - i.e. just look at changes/new stuff.

You could make something that integrated with WHMCS & just allowed individuals to turn it on as needed to look after their own backups (with restore) - that way it ends up becoming an upsell. Linode charge $5/month per $20gb I tihnk?