Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scaleway - Issues with Pre-paid / Virtual Credit Cards
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Scaleway - Issues with Pre-paid / Virtual Credit Cards

MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Hi folks,

This has been a nightmare. I've tried to add 12 virtual credit cards (MasterCard) and 4 virtual credit cards (Visa).

All my servers and services, are paid using mbnet, which is a service, linked to my bank account, to create virtual credit cards, to use those everywhere. It works everywhere, other than in Scaleway.

So, opened a ticket and informed them about this. They told me to contact my bank. Which I did. My bank replied that, their transaction is a weird one, works like a SEPA debit, IBAN, therefore, not allowed.

Last reply from Scaleway:

"The only way to make payment with our services is to pay with direct debit card, not a prepaid card,"

Anyway, lots of portuguese folks are using mbnet, pre-paid/virtual credit cards.
Lots of other folks using pre-paid / virtual credit cards.

Do you confirm that you can only use direct debit cards? And not prepaid cards?

In the past, with Scaleway, I used mbnet just fine.

Their be2bill processor, who the hell are they?

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Try Neteller, no issues.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited March 2016

@Neoon said:
    Try Neteller, no issues.

I'm fine with MBnet, it works everywhere other than in Scaleway.

Plus, it discounts directly from my banking account.

• iSkyiSky Member

try it using entropay but didn't success, so i used direct CC instead of VCC

• I'm sure I read somewhere that they use to accept Pre-Paid, but recently changed it to add extra checks allowing only direct Debit & Credit card's.

I guess maybe they had too much fraud coming from Prepaid cards.

• ManofServerManofServer Member
    edited March 2016

How about getting a real debit card from your bank?

• FalzoFalzo Member

@MrGeneral: you're in europe, why not let them charge via SEPA direct debit from your banking account? as you probably know you can do a chargeback via your bank directly (in germany within 6 weeks if it's an entitled one else the deadline are 13 months)

• No issues with mywirecard..

@iSky said:
    try it using entropay but didn't success, so i used direct CC instead of VCC

Nah, MBnet works everywhere, would make no sense doing it.

@AshleyUk said:
    I'm sure I read somewhere that they use to accept Pre-Paid, but recently changed it to add extra checks allowing only direct Debit & Credit card's.

I guess maybe they had too much fraud coming from Prepaid cards.

Their 2 EUR authorization works, the rest of the transactions do not.> @ManofServer said:

How about getting a real debit card from your bank?

I have. Then there's mbnet, linked to our banks to create CC cards.

@Falzo said:
    MrGeneral: you're in europe, why not let them charge via SEPA direct debit from your banking account? as you probably know you can do a chargeback via your bank directly (in germany within 6 weeks if it's an entitled one else the deadline are 13 months)

They did not provide me that option.

@faulwurf said:
    No issues with mywirecard..

It's pre-paid I assume?

• @MrGeneral said:
    It's pre-paid I assume?

Yep, its a german company/bank. Sometimes they need a little bit longer ( one week ) to assign payments to your account but otherwise its a great service which worked anywhere I tried it.

• FalzoFalzo Member

MrGeneral said: They did not provide me that option.

if I remember correctly at online.net you need to choose 'debit card' or 'direct debit card' or something like this to get the option to fill in your IBAN/BIC. a bit weird, because no card is involved ;-)

can't tell if it is the same at scaleway though, as I have no registered account there anymore at the moment.

• @Falzo said:

CC is the only option at scaleway :/

• FalzoFalzo Member

@faulwurf said:

oh, ok...

then probably the right action for @MrGeneral would be to move his ass up to his bank and get a CC for real. ;-)

Thanked by 2ManofServer netomx

@faulwurf said:

I even made previous payments using mbnet as well...

@Falzo said:
    can't tell if it is the same at scaleway though, as I have no registered account there anymore at the moment.

Well, I got two confirmed portuguese folks in the IRC channel who pay using MBnet, it's linked to my debit card / banking account... :)

• cassacassa Member

I've tried a Visa prepiad card, works just fine

Thanked by 1MikePT

@cassa said:
    I've tried a Visa prepiad card, works just fine

Thank you, I appreciate! It seems they've contacted be2bill regarding this...

After telling them that they have other portuguese customers, confirmed, paying exactly the same way, I got this:

"Wich part of our answer do you not understand ? "

I pasted that in their IRC Channel, though, and they apologised for that harsh reply.

Thanked by 1luissousa
  • FalzoFalzo Member

MrGeneral said: "Wich part of our answer do you not understand ? "

lol, that made my day. french people are sometimes... very direct. :-)

Thanked by 1luissousa
  • I've paid at least one invoice using revolut, I would hope they continue to accept this as it avoids the Fee's my bank/credit card companies charge for currency exchange.

@Falzo said:
    lol, that made my day. french people are sometimes... very direct. :-)

Deserved an apologise, though, but I got really pissed off.

@dragon2611 said:
    I've paid at least one invoice using revolut, I would hope they continue to accept this as it avoids the Fee's my bank/credit card companies charge for currency exchange.

So, they accept pre-paid too.

• Ive been using prepaid card since few months....no issues......

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • entropay no longer works for them either.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • TomTom Member

Unsure if it's "virtual", but a Revolut card works fine in Scaleway.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • they are happy to take my money via bank and/or prepaid visa debit card. One time I used a credit card the bank went apeshit and needed to take whatever meds bankers take to calm down.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited March 2016

I have a credit dedicated to online purchases with a low limit set ($1000) so I can't lose too much in case of fraud. My card's currency exchange isn't super terrible, so I still use it (although it is a Canadian card, it saves the hassle of a stupid prepaid).

Thanked by 2MikePT netomx

Signed up with a VISA card, using a new account, worked now.
    My bank told me they were trying to use the authorization token from the mastercard I had there... Mastercard doesn't work with scaleway.

Thank you for your feedback folks1

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

MrGeneral said: Mastercard doesn't work with scaleway.

I'm using a Mastercard with scaleway. Must just be different banks handle it differently.

Thanked by 2MikePT netomx

@trewq said:

Yeah, my bank, CGD, told me it wouldn't be possible to setup recurring subscriptions with Mastercard. Visa allows it, tho.

• Congrats on your first debit card

@ManofServer said:
    Congrats on your first debit card

?

Thanked by 1ManofServer
  • doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited March 2016

@MrGeneral said:
    Signed up with a VISA card, using a new account, worked now.
    My bank told me they were trying to use the authorization token from the mastercard I had there... Mastercard doesn't work with scaleway.

Thank you for your feedback folks1

I'm using a MasterCard too... (the one with a $1000 limit)

Thanked by 1MikePT