Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LowendVOIP - Any Interest?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LowendVOIP - Any Interest?

800calls800calls Member
edited March 2016 in General

Would anyone here be interested in a LES style VOIP offering? If so, what features and price points would get people interested?

I'm pretty well versed in running PBXes, so think of this as a hosted PBX offering, where all you bring are the phones (unless you wanna buy some Polycom IP 331's or Grandstream GXP1400's from us for not much!). Would likely do a FusionPBX based offering, with most features enabled (conference bridges, hot desking, call recording, IVRs, etc).

Edit: One other thing, how many people are deadset on using PayPal or Credit/Debit cards? On a $5 plan that'd be $.45 in fees with PayPal, and a bit less via Credit/Debit. With BTC, Dwolla (ACH) or mailed checks/cash I can offer much more aggressive rates, and I've already built those into the billing module.

What do you want in a low end phone offering?
  1. Ideal Server Location:36 votes
    1. US
      25.00%
    2. France
      22.22%
    3. Hong Kong
        0.00%
    4. South America
        2.78%
    5. Multiple
      50.00%
  2. I want phone numbers in:36 votes
    1. US
      38.89%
    2. Canada
      11.11%
    3. Europe
      38.89%
    4. Asia
        8.33%
    5. South America
        2.78%
  3. My main interest is in:36 votes
    1. Inbound calls
      50.00%
    2. Toll Free/800 Calls
      11.11%
    3. Outbound Calls
      25.00%
    4. International Outbound Calls
      11.11%
    5. Internal calling to other VOIP users
        2.78%
  4. Is caller ID something you would pay extra for?36 votes
    1. Yes
      16.67%
    2. No
      83.33%
  5. Is 911 service something you'd find valuble?36 votes
    1. Yes
      30.56%
    2. No
      69.44%

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Make sure you don't post-bill things and make them top up credit to use.

Last thing you need is someone dialing up some random middleeast country and charging up thousands in fees.

Francisco

Thanked by 2cassa ryanarp
  • AkitoAkito Member
    edited March 2016

I don't really see a need for this. There are plenty of free voip services or even free online pbx'es.
    If you don't want to use a free one, you just spin up a $3,-/m VPS and there's your own very personal low end voip.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

I don't think you will be able to compete with Betamax VOIP service, as they do have around 30 website with various offers, see more details: http://backsla.sh/betamax

As some of their website do offer 90-120 free days to do calls (300 minutes per week) to selected destinations, if you do just topup account.

• 800calls800calls Member
    edited March 2016

@Francisco, of course, this would be a prepaid service and I'd run it on separate servers (with separate accounts at each CLEC too). Don't want to let crazy bills get racked up!

@Akito We'd take care of software updates, and provide a freeswitch HA setup, etc for under $3 a month (with a phone number too!), so you don't have to even think about managing any of this long term. Rates would be cheaper than Flowroute.

@WebProject We can beat Betamax (and its subsidiaries) on most routes if we do an international offering, their prices are pretty high overall.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

My point the Betamax do offer over 20 different payment methods and very cheap EU calls, no one in US can much them, I looked for long time.

I think the best prices for international calls I have seen is at DidLogic at URL: https://didlogic.com/

edited March 2016

@WebProject Betamax also has a ton of subbrands that you have to hop between to get the lowest price, I know I'll never be competitive on every route to every country, but with the current ratedecks I have I can handily beat them on most routes.

@Atiko By the way, IPKall is shutting down completely (sad to see as they are just a few blocks from me here in Seattle), and I think I can offer value with free port-ins in NY, NJ and PA.

• A VOIP service?

Target a specific area without much knowledge on other VOIP services, make sure the companies in the area are charging an arm and leg for home phone.

Advertise in such areas, you'll be more likely to succeed this way.

edited March 2016

@FlamesRunner That was us a few years back, still growing the smb segment and making good money at it too. After we got a few hundred phones boarded, I started partnering with CLECs directly and building custom apps for the phones we had deployed, and now here I am asking if this community would be interested in a service optimized for y'all.