Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which of these servers would you choose?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which of these servers would you choose?

VPS_UnlimitedVPS_Unlimited Member
edited March 2016 in General

Hello,
So I am looking to get either of the following dedicated servers but unsure which one:

1) Online.net - 30€
https://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-classic

2) SoYouStart (OVH brand) - 35€
https://www.soyoustart.com/en/offers/e3-sat-1.xml

From my pov it looks like for the 5€ difference I will get ALOT more out of Sys offer which comes with a better CPU and 16 Failover IPs included (only setup price 2,40€ each).
Online.net would charge setup for additional IPs + monthly fee.
Well to be fair Online comes with a free 100gb backup space but Ive got various backupservers so Im good.
Anyway I might be missing something here and maybe there is some bad things about Sys I should know. Going with that atm Id choose Sys.

Comments

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited March 2016

I think support from online is better than ovh's but that's about it. Since the IPs are important to you go for the SYS server

Thanked by 1VPS_Unlimited
  • If anyone has a Sys or online bench Id be very happy to see it :)

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

online.net , because of support.

• Sys has free 100gb ftp backup

• @sqamsqam said:
    Sys has free 100gb ftp backup

Oh wow..just saw it lol Well there goes that pro for Online..

• they also offer nfs and some other shit but you have to pay for it.

And if you intend to do a custom OS install but don't want to fork out for it just boot up the recovery image and launch a qemu vm with the drives mounted and console linked to vnc. There are guides on how to do this just have a quick google

• MadMad Member
    edited March 2016

If you plan to use it for virtualization I would go with SYS.
    At least you have 16 IPs with no monthly fees (setup fee only).

While Online.net:

64 IPv4 addresses - €1.99 /month/address

Set-up fees - €2.99 /address

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR
    edited March 2016

Not sure what Online does with their guaranteed bandwidth limit, but SYS sets a hard limit to 250Mbps. So you won't be able to burst to 1Gbps.

• zevuszevus Member

@VPS_Unlimited said:
    Hello,
    So I am looking to get either of the following dedicated servers but unsure which one:

1) Online.net - 30€
    https://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-classic

2) SoYouStart (OVH brand) - 35€
    https://www.soyoustart.com/en/offers/e3-sat-1.xml

Go for this one;

http://www.soyoustart.com/ie/essential-servers/

E3-SAT-1 €30.00

• @exception0x876 said:
    Not sure what Online does with their guaranteed bandwidth limit, but SYS sets a hard limit to 250Mbps. So you won't be able to burst to 1Gbps.

Are they really doing a hardlimit there?
    Thats a shame :/ Though I guess for virtualization the ip deal is pretty good.
    For full virtualization though (kvm) I might just go with online^^

@VPS_Unlimited said:
    Are they really doing a hardlimit there?

Yea, I have a few their servers in same datacenter and I am not able to push more than 250 Mbps between them.

• sqamsqamsqamsqam Member
    edited March 2016

@exception0x876 said:
    Yea, I have a few their servers in same datacenter and I am not able to push more than 250 Mbps between them.

You sure? I've never had issues going over 250 Mbps at their BHS data centre.

I'm pretty confident that's it's guaranteed 250mbps not hard limited.

Can't test now as I'm at work but may post results when I get home if I can be bothered

• I have multiple soyoustart servers in RBX and I can confirm it is a hardlimit.
    But I have two servers which can push more than 250mbps guess it is a configuration mistake or something on their side.

edited March 2016

@sqamsqam said:
    You sure? I've never had issues going over 250 Mbps at their BHS data centre.

Maybe it is different between datacenters, here is the tests between two servers in Roubaix

• I would go with online.net. The reasons:
    1. better network IMHO (I usually can push almost all of my gig network port, in either kidechires or normal dedi).
    2. Better control panel: Very good infrastructucture, IPMI, flawless reinstalls etc.
    3. Extra ip available. Up to 5 more "failover" (in real, add on) ips at the price of 3€ each. But you can chose one, or two, not necessarily a /29. SYS does not offer any additional ips.
    4. Better support. When I needed it I got initial (real) answer in less than an hour.

I had a couple of servers with OVH (SYS and Kimsufi, not the enterprise brand OVH) and I think for the same price (lower line of products), online.net is better

• @bacloud said:
    online.net , because of support.

Online support for me has been sh. While ovh canada was quite reasonable

• @jvnadr said:
    I would go with online.net. The reasons:
    1. better network IMHO (I usually can push almost all of my gig network port, in either kidechires or normal dedi).
    2. Better control panel: Very good infrastructucture, IPMI, flawless reinstalls etc.
    3. Extra ip available. Up to 5 more "failover" (in real, add on) ips at the price of 3€ each. But you can chose one, or two, not necessarily a /29. SYS does not offer any additional ips.
    4. Better support. When I needed it I got initial (real) answer in less than an hour.

I had a couple of servers with OVH (SYS and Kimsufi, not the enterprise brand OVH) and I think for the same price (lower line of products), online.net is better

Heya and thanks for the feedback!

1) Do you have a speedtest + possibly bench for me? What is usual upload you get?

2) A smooth cp is always nice :)

3) But Sys does come with 16 failover ips. Dont think i need even more for just one machine :)

4) So it's pretty much support vs no support? How is sys phone support?

• VPS_Unlimited said: But Sys does come with 16 failover ips. Dont think i need even more for just one machine :)

SYS does come with additional ips. Kimsufi don't. But if I recall well, SYS are a slice more expensive than small Dediboxes and IMO the support is better in Online.net than SYS (in OVH, I have heard that the support is better, but the price range is different).

VPS_Unlimited said: How is sys phone support?

I was not for long with SYS, so I didn't use phone support. My experience is mostly with online.net, and the support from them is very helpful.

VPS_Unlimited said: What is usual upload you get?