Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is backup software so terrible/expensive?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why is backup software so terrible/expensive?

Maybe I've just been unlucky but I'm yet to find any backup software I like, they always either seem to have terrible interfaces or fail to support basic features like client side encryption of data.

At the moment I'm using duplicati 2.x on a couple machines but even that isn't what i'd call great as it can get fairly resource hungry when running, there's also the case that it's a preview version so could potentially fail. Which is why for data I care about I also use spideroak.

Urbackup seemed interesting, other than it can't encrypt the data at rest which means all the time the machine is running/mounted it's accessible. That alone puts me off using it as I'd want something that could backup my laptops/home machines as well as servers.

Commercial options are generally to expensive for me, that and some of them don't seem to be much better than the Free/opensource versions.

Comments

• chipchip Member

I've got duplicati on 3-4 machines and it works it encrypts the data I agree of your encrypting a lot of data it can get resource hungry but it's safe.

• @chip said:
    I've got duplicati on 3-4 machines and it works it encrypts the data I agree of your encrypting a lot of data it can get resource hungry but it's safe.

The V2 preview or V1?

The problem with V2 is if an upload/backup job is interrupted or it dies in the middle of a backup it can get itself into an inconsistent state with regards to the blocks being stored on the backend.

Although TBH i've not had that problem in a while, generally in the more recent builds in that situation the repair has at least worked.

• chipchip Member

It wasn't the preview so it must be the stable v1 release