Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hostigation DOWN again within one week!! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hostigation DOWN again within one week!!

Comments

• I have all my production stuff on hostigation servers. Premium LEB + cheap. I'm a fan.

• Normal :D
    No server with 100% uptime.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@ShardHost Well said. I'll leave a provider when downtime is handled poorly or when something extremely simple and preventable happens and they lie about it. Short of that, just leaving every time downtime occurs will narrow your list to nobody within 2 years.

• @jarland said: Short of that, just leaving every time downtime occurs will narrow your list to nobody within 2 years.

Well said on that too.

Additionally, the Internet is no longer new, and people understand that internet sites have downtime. Claiming "we are losing customers!!!!!!" because your site experiences a bit of downtime probably means your customers weren't really that interested in your site anyway.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@jarland said: will narrow your list to nobody within 2 years.

It depends, if I were to sign at the start of the year with prometeus (failed ipv6 router dowtime on ipv6 a few hours) move to buyvm (moving saga) then to inception, then to hostigation, i would go through the most of the top LEB hosts withing a few days...
    Then a raid controller or motherboard can fail, or a DDoS can strike the node, a route can collapse or flap, i will be out of quality hosts within a few months.
    If I do not have a HA scheme across providers, Murphy WILL strike, only the timing remains to be guessed.
    Amazon has downtime, Paypal has downtime, is it so impossible to think anyone can have it ?

• IntcsIntcs Member
    edited February 2013

@Damian said: Claiming "we are losing customers!!!!!!" because your site experiences a bit of downtime probably means your customers weren't really that interested in your site anyway.

It looks like he is providing shared hosting, and is getting complaints in turns, so imo, it might be fair.
    @azizbd If I were you, I'd stay with the same experienced, long running and well reputed provider (Hostigation here) , as long as they try and eventually fix problems whenever they occur, and still answers my tickets pleasantly, better yet if not in too long period, when such things happens.

I'd only leave to somewhere else (which is money, effort and time risk if I'm not satisfied in the new host) when I found they are no longer caring/interested of their VPS business or their client.

• People should have a little patience with providers and be happy they don't have to deal with downtime themselves. Having to deal with all these issues (that do happen, no matter the hardware or software) always sucks. I realize it can feel helpless to have to wait, but having to solve it yourself is worse.

@miTgiB provides a great and stable service. He knows his stuff, has a very decent setup and has been around for some time. Downtime happens to everybody (unless you go crazy on redundancy, but I got some stories on that as well which will make you question how far you are willing to do). It's life.

• I have thrown it

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@花伞菌 said: I have thrown it

Littering is illegal.

• 花伞菌花伞菌 Member
    edited February 2013

@jarland It depends on the country you come from:)

• @花伞菌 said: @jarland It depends on the country you come from:)

If you are in HK or Singapore you will be fined :)

• @concerto49: Only if someone catches you doing it :)

• 6 accounts with one provider? OP?

That's insanity.

Get accounts with other providers and build redundancy into your projects.

• dearroydearroy Member, Host Rep

@concerto49 said: If you are in HK or Singapore you will be fined :)

Stop reasoning a kid sir :)

• I will never give up my 30/yr 512mb plan. Perhaps add more if there is future offer as such =)

• Not convinced about the west coast servers, but I am still very happy with my 3 VPS servers in Charlotte from Hostigation (I live in NC, USA). Experienced no down time with them through this event. Even if I did, I find support action on a Saturday night to be a big positive.

• Yeah, even the best have their bad days... Buyvm last week, hostigation here, and I've got on one @ramnode that's been down for close to 24 hours now too...

Not complaining, the prices and services are great -- just mentioning every dog (or pony) has it's day....

(appreciate ramnode keeping regular updates on twitter!)

• From what I've read I think Hostgation is a solid host considering that this is Tim's only source of income I'm sure he's doing his best. it's not like he's overselling and causing this on himself.. shit happens should not give up on a good host just cause he's had a few bad luck this month

• It's February and folks still couped up inside. This is the season where folks upgrade probably more than others. More customers probably take notice also for same reasons.

Redundancy is the solution folks. 3 of everything, just in case.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

It happens, none of us hand make the equipment we use so at some stage failures will happen, murphy has been a bastard these last few weeks but you need to remember that currently $7 does not provide you with a self healing HA SAN Based cloud VPS.

What is can offer is a VPS just as good or better in many cases than the same local storage non HA VPS's you would pay 10x the price fore elsewhere.

Tim did not break it on purpouse, it is not his fault, if you put all your eggs in 1 basket however and then complain when you have a problem that was only ever a matter of time then that is your fault.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@miTgiB said: the config filesystem would just vanish

What kind of router? Same exact issue we had with Vyatta, it occurred right after a DDOS attack (luckily the backup router took over). I created a script to check connectivity and reboot the primary router when it happened but one time the configs never came back even after a reboot.

• @KuJoe said: What kind of router?

Happened first on Vyatta 6.4 then again on Vyatta 6.5, you go to type configure and it spits out invalid command. This time I left the autonull script out and will have to depend on quadranet since we overlap most of the time, until I find a better solution to whack-a-mole and enforce the don;t be a dick rule more.

• Whak-a-mole

Just having fun, sorry :D

• JacobJacob Member
    edited February 2013

@yomero I remember ordering nachos + cheese and getting that with it.

yuck...

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited February 2013

A bad "guacamole" I guess... because is so tasty n_n

• So those issues are related to your auto nulls. How do your scripts check PPS and gbps in the first place? iptables?

@KuJoe @TiMgiB

• @apollo15 sflow.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@kendid said: Yeah, even the best have their bad days... Buyvm last week, hostigation here, and I've got on one @ramnode that's been down for close to 24 hours now too...

Yes, that was basically the worst weekend ever for us and for everyone on that demonic node :/ Thanks for sticking with us. That node will be decommissioned as soon as the next one launches and we move you all over to it.

• Yes, I know its a possibility, I asked them what they use exactly out of curiosity because I find it weird it corrupts the whole router :) on the other hand BuyVM doesn't have such issue with Vyatta, but we know BuyVM's ponynull is superior @Francisco