Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Providers what version do you install your Solusvm on, Centos5.x or 6.x?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Providers what version do you install your Solusvm on, Centos5.x or 6.x?

MonsteRMonsteR Member
edited February 2013 in General

Hi,
Just a random question as I use Centos 5.x 64 bit of course because It seemed there was a lot of bugs in Centos 6 when they released it, So I figured I would wait a little bit until they got it all sorted out. So my question for providers and in General if what do you use on your Solusvm Master/Slaves and why? Because if you don't use centos6, You can't upgrade later with all your data so you need to move all the VZ's to another server then reinstall.

Regards,
Jonathan

Comments

• All our nodes are RHEL 6 apart from 1 which I dare to touch as it has had 90+ days uptime.

Solus master doesn't really matter, it runs on centos 5 32Bit.

• @Jacob said: which I dare to touch as it has had 90+ days uptime.

Isn't that special? We got several nodes over 150 days.

• MonsteRMonsteR Member
    edited February 2013

@taronyu said: Isn't that special? We got several nodes over 150 days.

But I have nodes with 151 Days+ :|
    /Jokes - but I do have do have a few 200+'s on our nodes.

• I have a one hosted on a RamNode server, I'd much rather put it somewhere reputable like BuyVM, Ramnode, Prometeus, Hostigation etc, where I know it's going to stay up and not dissapear after a few months.

Than pay the premium for a dedi, where it's only going to get 128MB used!

• @eastonch That doesn't answer the question, But yeah we have our master hosted with Frantech aka Buyvm.

• @Monster I use RHEL 6 on all the nodes I work with.

• @eastonch Ah, ok seems most use Centos 6

• @Jacob said: All our nodes are RHEL 6 apart from 1 which I dare to touch as it has had 90+ days uptime.

Solus master doesn't really matter, it runs on centos 5 32Bit.

Can't you move VPS > upgrade > move back?

• For a Ovz node you would need to move all /vz to a another server, then format then restore, And a master would be even easier.

• MonsteRMonsteR Member
    edited February 2013

@Jack said: or VZMigrate/VZDump , you sound like volumedrive ;

I said move all /vz meaning vzdump I just figured people here would be smart enough to get that, As It would be a waste of time messing around, And Jack you have a lot of experiences with Volumedrive ? :)

• CentOS 6 on our SolusVM master.

• CentOS 6 all the way.

• It's 101 Days uptime now after checking, but we only reboot if needed, we normally get the abusers that cause havoc and have even had a situation where a abuser was causing a node to reboot(CPU was overheating, due to heavy usage).

Our scripts take care of this so we no longer have to worry about this anymore.

@taronyu said: Isn't that special? We got several nodes over 150 days.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

We use CentOS 6 64-bit accros the board, including the SolusVM master.
    It's on DigitalOcean 512MB :)

• For SolusVM OpenVZ Slaves you have to go with CentOS 6.* for the latest OVZ Kernel features, OVZ VSwap alone is well worth the upgrade and way better then the old UBC system. CentOS 6.3 seems very stable now and is running great for us on our OVZ & KVM VPS.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

@HostVPS exactly why we didn't go with CentOS 5, even though it may or not be more stable... vSwap is worth it!

• MonsteRMonsteR Member
    edited February 2013

Think when I do the next big Update will update the some of the old nodes, Seems as 6.+ does seem support more. + Has a newer PHP Version in use.