Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One of my favorite providers is killing my service (but doing it the right way) [KihiHosting]
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

One of my favorite providers is killing my service (but doing it the right way) [KihiHosting]

KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
edited March 2016 in Reviews

I just received this e-mail from KihiHosting:

Last year we removed our HDD service in favour of our SSD-cached service, no longer allowing orders for our HDD service.

>

In the past month we've had several issues with our HDD service, in comparison, our SSD-cached service has had over 234(!) days of uptime with no deterioration in service.

>

We are no longer able to support our HDD service as we move more towards SSD and SSD-cached services as well as a complete restructure of both the Kihi front and back-end infrastructure.

>

On March 17th all HDD services will go OFFLINE and services cancelled in our billing system. If you have payed for this month already for your HDD service, the invoice shall be refunded. No invoices will be generated between now and March 17th.

>

We ask that you backup your data and spin up an SSD service on Kihi.

>

For any requests for data or emergencies, will keep the services offline for one week before scrubbing all data off of each hard drive.

>

Due to the short-notice as well as the deprecation in service. We will be giving a 500% credit to all current customers still using the HDD service. For example, if your last bill was $16 for your HDD service, we will be adding $80 of credit to be used on Kihi. This credit will be added to your account in the next 48 hours.

>

If you have any questions or concerns feel free to reply back directly to this email.

The sad part is that my $2/month VPS with 120GB of storage is being cancelled this month. The rest is nice though. Refunding my payment from 2 days ago, 500% credit towards a new VPS, 14 day notice, and 1 week buffer before wiping data.

Current plan:
512MB RAM, 1 CPU, 120GB SATA Disk Space (RAID5 or 6 I think), 500GB Bandwidth = $2/month

Cheapest plan:
512MB RAM, 1 CPU, 40GB SSD Cached, 500GB Bandwidth = $4/month

I'm still upset about losing this VPS, but not upset with how they handled it.

Comments

• Are they the people using Fibernetics's network (the same ones as CloudAtCost)?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2016

@TheOnlyDK said:
    Are they the people using Fibernetics's network (the same ones as CloudAtCost)?

According to my notes they are in Rack & Data in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada.

EDIT: IP is geolocated to UK, ASN is COLOWAREHOUSEONTARIO, IP belongs to "Avante Hosting Services Inc." (AvanteHosting.net), IPs are SWIPed to KihiHosting though.

• This is nicest way i have ever seen a host handle the customers about killing an Old service

And this is the first time hearing about them

Panel is good (Design is same as DO)

• @KuJoe said:
    According to my notes they are in Rack & Data in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada.

I'm pretty sure Rack & Data is Fibernetics aka CloudAtCost people. Anyways, how is their network? My CAC's network is sh*t, but is getting better, but still pretty bad.

• im glad we have finally some LowEndHope

• ehabehab Member
    edited March 2016

this thread almost starts to favour kihihosting... checking out their page now.

you'll wakeup better tomorrow Mr.KuJoe

• Completely agree that they handled the change of service very well.
    The 500% credit is a very nice touch, even if the newer packages cost more.

Like @ehab, I'm checking out the kihihosting website and wondering what other gems @KuJoe is using for hosting.

@TheOnlyDK said:
    I'm pretty sure Rack & Data is Fibernetics aka CloudAtCost people. Anyways, how is their network? My CAC's network is sh*t, but is getting better, but still pretty bad.

It's not bad. The only time I've had any issue with uptime has been node related (like the e-mail said, they've had it rough with this legacy node). I use the VPS a lot for testing but I don't think I'll be ordering a new one so my credit will go unused. :( I'll probably pick up a LunaNode VPS to replace it for my monitoring needs.

@BeardyUnixGuy said:
    Completely agree that they handled the change of service very well.
    The 500% credit is a very nice touch, even if the newer packages cost more.

Like ehab, I'm checking out the kihihosting website and wondering what other gems KuJoe is using for hosting.

You can check out my list here: http://status.jgz.pw, the downtime is fairly accurate, but in the case of KihiHosting the downtime is mostly related to the node issues which is specific only to the legacy node I'm hosted on (one of the reasons they are retiring it).

• (Disclaimer: All links I'm posting are tracked affiliate links, whenever the provider has an affiliate program. The following post may or may not contain such links.)

@ehab @BeardyUnixGuy
    KihiHosting was first mentionned by @sleddog in June 2014. They posted an official offer on August 2014.
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/29655/anyone-know-this-provider/p1
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/33176/kihi-hosting-canadian-kvm-vps-hosting-custom-panel-android-app-starting-2-month/p1

Did work great unil January 2016.

• They were automatically killing processes if they were using what they did consider too much ressources. I did run away and did never encounter the same problem with another provider, with the same setup.... Didn't you have any problems like that on the hdd node @KuJoe?

Dunno if this has been fixed, but it did make me run away and not look back...

@info_hash said:
    They were automatically killing processes if they were using what they did consider too much ressources. I did run away and did never encounter the same problem with another provider, with the same setup.... Didn't you have any problems like that on the hdd node KuJoe?

Dunno if this has been fixed, but it did make me run away and not look back...

How were they killing processes on a KVM VPS? The only control they had was to stop and start the whole VPS. Are you sure you were using KihiHosting? I don't see them offering anything other than KVM.

• I'll call it shilling.

Actually, it was an extremely good way to handle things. Heads up!

• KuJoe said: How were they killing processes on a KVM VPS? The only control they had was to stop and start the whole VPS. Are you sure you were using KihiHosting? I don't see them offering anything other than KVM.

Yeah it was them, not sure how / why it did happen, maybe not their will... I was surprised too considering that it was a KVM VPS but it did happen each time a process was using a lot of CPU and/or bandwidth...

• snacsnac Member

I've been using Kihi Hosting for about 1 year now, paying $2/mo. Sucks that we're forced to migrate but I'm glad I get a credit towards a new VPS. Their support is prompt too, no complaints

• Is it just me or is KiHi using virtkick? The layout and the provision button styling give it away.

@info_hash said:

If what you are saying is true then either you gave them your root password (or another account password) or KihiHosting are absolute geniuses (which they might be, but I find the time it would take to write a brand new kernel and KVM software a waste of time). I'm willing to bet your processes are being killed by something else and not KihiHosting.

Thanked by 1info_hash
  • TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited March 2016

I want to start out by saying, I really like Kihi, they have been a very stable host so far in my usage of their service.

While the new SSD offering is good, I will still miss the extra storage space which was the initial draw to their hosting services. While I am going to keep a server with them, I have had to re-purpose the server since it will now be much more expensive to store data with them. Instead of $2 for 120GB its now 4$ for 40GB which is 2x the cost for 1/3 the storage, while still a good price for the server, now I need to find a new home for that other 80GB of data. :(

It is hard to be upset though as they have gone out of their way by offering to help me move my IP if needed and they did provide a really nice credit to the account to get started.

I did find the 2 week notice to be a bit short for this move, especially expecting the customer to migrate them selves, though. A month would have been a lot nicer and easier to schedule.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• KuJoe said: I'm willing to bet your processes are being killed by something else and not KihiHosting.

Ok, if so I'll keep them in my list and might try them again in the future if needed.

The strange thing is that this happen only with them, over the 10+ VPS providers I had experience with... I guess I could have sent them a support ticket to ask what was going on rather than run away; no way to know what was going on as of now...

• MunMun Member
    edited March 2016

@jarland, @ishaq, @some-other-let-admins

@info_hash's signature seems in need of some cleaning....

• info_hashinfo_hash Member
    edited March 2016

Mun said: @info_hash's signature seems in need of some cleaning....

You say so because you're part of the popcorn mafia, just like @jarland! :p

edit: made my sig clearer, so that you can sleep well @Mun :)

Thanked by 1Mun
  • MunMun Member

info_hash said: You say so because you're part of the popcorn mafia, just like @jarland! :p

edit: made my sig clearer, so that you can sleep well @Mun :)

<3

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited March 2016

I just want to follow-up on my last comment here with this:

I really have liked the Kihi system up until this migration. The process for me was horrible, multiple issues with their platform creating a new server that either wouldn't boot, the panel lost it, or some other issue where it just would not boot. As such I had to open several tickets and their response time has been less than stellar, up to 2 days in some cases. The worst part being the fact they decided they will not let you install from ISO which is how my original server was setup and how I wanted my new server to be. This was really really annoying since their templates are crap and don't work for my needs as I want.

To this very moment the panel reflects my server as offline because it is broken, even though the server is finally online at this time. But any attempt to stop the server and restart it would end up in it again being unavailable and never rebooting again. Only way around this I found was to reinstall the server, over and over..

To make matter worse, before they could even get my server back online and let me migrate my data they shutdown the old server... while I had a ticket open explaining the issue... waiting again for reply.... they just ignored the ticket and my need for help and proceeded anyways.

Of course I have back-ups, but that is not the point here, I shouldn't have to spend more than 14 days and about 6+ hours of time trying to migrate a server. As such it has just been a huge pit of lost and unpaid time for me that I will never get back. The 500% credit won't even start to cover it..

I am not sure what happened here, but their old platform was stable and didn't have these bugs. In fact, I was happy even with the occasional node reboot as when it was up it was stable and just worked. Now with all this mess I have dealt with, along with no longer being able to build my server as I need, I doubt I will be staying with them in the long run. It just doesn't seem like they are able to properly support this new platform at all.

It is a very sad day for me, I thought this was a host that I could rely on for production stuff, but this experience has made me have to re-evaluate and I don't think I feel the same anymore.

I just hope others didn't end up with a similar experience. Hopefully I am the oddity here.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1KuJoe
  • Kihihosting is closing on July, 1st. June won't be charged.
    Sad.

Thanked by 2KuJoe GCat
  • hostingwizard_net said: Kihihosting is closing on July, 1st. June won't be charged. Sad.

where did you see the news ?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@hostingwizard_net said:
    Kihihosting is closing on July, 1st. June won't be charged.
    Sad.

Derr that was sudden? I guess the platform change was a clusterfuck?

@support123 said:

hostingwizard_net said: Kihihosting is closing on July, 1st. June won't be charged. Sad.

where did you see the news ?

Well, @kujoe did like it so I'm assuming it's true.

Francisco

Thanked by 1netomx

They sent out an e-mail yesterday. I've been sick in bed since Sunday so I couldn't post it myself. I'll try to post the whole e-mail later if I can.

Thanked by 2support123 Francisco
  • Very sudden news, a bit sad that their custom panel will be going to waste.

• Here is the e-mail that was sent @Kujoe @Francisco:

Subject: Kihi shut down

>

On July 1st, 2016 Kihi will be shutting down.

After two years of hosting developers and businesses alike, we will be closing our doors.

As a token of appreciation, this months service will be completely free and you will not be billed for your service.

It is recommended to back-up any data as we will be shutting down and terminating all instances on July 1st 00:00 EST time.

We thank you all for your support us as well as hosting your services here.

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to reply directly back to this email or open a support ticket through our control panel.

Thanks for the incredible experience,

Charlie

Cheers!

Thanked by 3GCat Francisco bersy
  • rokokrokok Member

So sad, Kihi has nice unique custom system, if only possible someone can takeover/buy and continue to develop

Thanked by 2doghouch yomero
  • @rokok said:
    So sad, Kihi has nice unique custom system, if only possible someone can takeover/buy and continue to develop

$7