Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acceptable wait time - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Acceptable wait time

Comments

• @Socially_Uncensored said: I would really hate for you to bother the wrong individual.

It's nothing wrong with bothering Chris. Trust me!

• @Kenshin said: Did you try searching the entire sentence as a complete phrase? In other words, with a " at the front and back. Result has only 2 providers.

Yes, we did.

I turn up several dozen providers. However, you are welcome to speculate all you want.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

@Socially_Uncensored said: What do you believe is an acceptable wait time to resolve a customer support ticket?

3-4 hours max within working hours. (in our case 9AM-8PM). Obviously we're usually quicker than that.

If the company doesn't officially work weekends, then 24 hours or so. If they do, then 4-5 hours.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited February 2013

@Kenshin said: Result has only 2 providers.

It's actually just one provider who operate under few identities :P

• @Socially_Uncensored said: Apache 2.4.3 is the most current stable version.

then you're going to have to build it from source
    not even debian experimental has that stuff

• @gubbyte said: then you're going to have to build it from source

not even debian experimental has that stuff

Custom build 2.0 makes installing such very easy (it's included as one of the options)

http://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=44743

• Custombuild 2 is available in the latest version 1.42.1 (this being the latest released stable version) 1.42.2 appears to be a beta pre-release.

If you did not install Directadmin yourself and the host selected custombuild 1 during install this is why you do not see certain options when running ./build

You can swap custombuild 1 for 2 by doing:

cd /usr/local/directadmin
    mv custombuild custombuild_1.x
    wget -O custombuild.tar.gz http://files.directadmin.com/services/custombuild/2.0/custombuild.tar.gz
    tar xvzf custombuild.tar.gz
    cd custombuild
    ./build

You can then configure the options file to select the specific versions you require.

That being said IF you have paid extra for managed then your host should already be doing this but you do NOT need to have the beta version to use custombuild 2

• @onepound said: but you do NOT need to have the beta version to use custombuild 2

QUOTE: Please note that you need DirectAdmin version 1.42.2 at least (you can use current pre-release binaries too) to run CustomBuild 2.0.

http://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=44743

• I have been running custombuild 2 in whatever capacity prior to the version you are talking about which provides options for all the specific software versions you are referring too.

• @onepound said: I have been running custombuild 2 in whatever capacity prior to the version you are talking about which provides options for all the specific software versions you are referring too.

We're currently not using custom build 1. We are on the current stable non custom build. I don't think we could jump from this to custom build 2. And we would rather follow the developers recommendations.

• As you are asking for specific beta versions to be installed you may find you will need to install this yourself as I would imagine it would not be in the interests for a managed provider to install a beta pre release version.

• @Socially_Uncensored said: Our desired requirement are

Apache 2.4.3
    php 5.4 (current if possible)
    mySQL 5.5 (5.6 if possible)

I have tried to add Apache 2.4 to our CentOS repository ( http://repo.vpsnodebox.com ) however the changes that need to be made to CentOS are to many in terms of other packages that need to be either replaced or added on. The same goes for any other current distribution. If you want a modern web server then I would recommend Nginx 1.2 or even 1.3.

PHP 5.4 works just fine, except where the PHP code that you are running was written really badly (I have seen some commercial WordPress plugins that won't run on PHP 5.4).

MySQL 5.6 hasn't been released yet, and even if it had, you shouldn't jump on a new MySQL release right away. A good alternative would be MariaDB 5.5 if you want the latest MySQL features.

What Linux Distribution are you running?

• oh no!

• @gubbyte said: oh no!

@gubbyte - Well 1.3 works until you use OCSP stapling or other advanced SSL features, then it slows down to a crawl, or even SPY support is kind of weird at the moment. Nevertheless it works. We use Nginx 1.2.6 currently in production.

• edited February 2013

@marcm said: have tried to add Apache 2.4 to our CentOS repository ( http://repo.vpsnodebox.com ) however the changes that need to be made to CentOS are to many in terms of other packages that need to be either replaced or added on. The same goes for any other current distribution. If you want a modern web server then I would recommend Nginx 1.2 or even 1.3. What Linux Distribution are you running?

I would not touch CentOS even if my hosting provider agreed to pay me. LoL

Debain for the win (or Ubuntu or anything else built off it's base).

All of our code has been php 5.4 tested and worked flawlessly on our last provider. We're already testing php 5.5 on our local install. ;)

MySQL 5.6 can be installed and we're loving it. No issues thus far. But we'll only install it if it is an option.

• edited February 2013

@marcm said: @gubbyte - Well 1.3 works until you use OCSP stapling or other advanced SSL features, then it slows down to a crawl, or even SPY support is kind of weird at the moment. Nevertheless it works. We use Nginx 1.2.6 currently in production.

No nginx. To much of a pain to customize. Seems to change with each version.

The configuration is not stable.

x.x.1 will allow me to do X, Y, Z
    x.x.2 will toss that out
    x.x.3 will toss x.x.2 out

They need to develop something more universal. It does not currently fit our needs.

• @onepound said: As you are asking for specific beta versions to be installed you may find you will need to install this yourself as I would imagine it would not be in the interests for a managed provider to install a beta pre release version.

Our hosting provider has already offered it as one of the options to install. So it would be in their best interest to make good on their word. As we're paying them to have Direct Admin.

• @Socially_Uncensored said: To much of a pain to customize. Seems to change with each version.

are you kidding

• @Socially_Uncensored said: Our hosting provider has already offered it as one of the options to install. So it would be in their best interest to make good on their word. As we're paying them to have Direct Admin.

Your hosting provider offered you access to beta binary's of Directadmin?

These are easily installed by anyone (they must be installed ontop of an existing installation) quick google will find the wget url's or PM me. You will still of course need to run custombuild to configure your desired software after the beta binary's have been installed.

It cannot be emphasised enough though that the beta binary's are not recommended for production installs.

As said before all the software versions you requested are available to install from custombuild in the latest stable version of directadmin by changing the cutombuild line in options.conf to 2 and then run ./build update to grab v2

So is your actual request to your host to have the specific versions of software you listed installed or to have a beta non production version of directadmin installed (your existing software versions would remain the same until your custombuild is then reconfigured and ran.)

• edited February 2013

@gubbyte said: are you kidding

From my opinion, yes. I would have nginx completely configured. And I would update to a new version and "bam!" I need to change X, Y, Z. Another version would come along and I would update and "poof", again needed to change something else.

I guess its fine if you want to keep things "as is" and not update anything.

But we change so much with our site, that we got tired of having to re-write; "rewrite rules" and configuration files for every change, update, or new configuration.

With Apache it just works.

• Nginx doesn't overwrite your configuration files ¬_¬
    (Except the "default", that you should not be using...)

• edited February 2013

@yomero said: Nginx doesn't overwrite your configuration files ¬_¬

(Except the "default", that you should not be using...)

Whatever the case, X configuration would be incompatible with Y version. And so we would need to adapt for each update.

Over looking that fact, we do add add-ons, tweaks, and modifications to our site on the fly and just generally got tired of having to write new re-write rules for each change.

Again, with Apache it just works. No added effort on our part (its just what we need and what works best for us).

• @onepound said: These are easily installed by anyone (they must be installed ontop of an existing installation) quick google will find the wget url's or PM me. You will still of course need to run custombuild to configure your desired software after the beta binary's have been installed.

It cannot be emphasised enough though that the beta binary's are not recommended for production installs.

As said before all the software versions you requested are available to install from custombuild in the latest stable version of directadmin by changing the cutombuild line in options.conf to 2 and then run ./build update to grab v2

So is your actual request to your host to have the specific versions of software you listed installed or to have a beta non production version of directadmin installed (your existing software versions would remain the same until your custombuild is then reconfigured and ran.)

Noticed the quote here does not always quote long post. lol

If for some reason my hosting service provider does not follow through with things or we simply get tired of waiting for them. We'll look into the alternative you suggested without installing the beta binary's. Although I'm not sure how to do it that way, I'd be willing to learn.

• gubbytegubbyte Member
    edited February 2013

@Socially_Uncensored said: Whatever the case, X configuration would be incompatible with Y version. And so we would need to adapt for each update.

that is very, very incorrect
    I have no idea where you got that from

• I have been using the same configuration files and rewrites since two years ago...

• @Socially_Uncensored said: No nginx. To much of a pain to customize. Seems to change with each version.

x.x.1 will allow me to do X, Y, Z

x.x.2 will toss that out
    x.x.3 will toss x.x.2 out

They need to develop something more universal. It does not currently fit our needs.

@Socially_UncensoredSocially_Uncensored - that's not true, I maintain CentOS packages that I have customized and built with OpenSSL 1.0.1c included in the Nginx binaries and I have found Nginx to be extremely consistent. @kbeezie is one of the Nginx wiki contributors, he is also offering Nginx consulting services and he is working with us at VPS Node Box, so I learned Nginx from the best. As such, I have a clue what I'm talking about.

• edited February 2013

Let's not turn this into a nginx vs apache debate.

For whatever reason or how ever the case, nginx does not fit our needs. We need something that will work out of the box & does not require us to configure things for every change we make (and we make a lot of them, often).

From our own personal experience, that wasn't nginx.

• Small update:

Got an an update from my host who says they did it. Still reads 1.42.1 though. Not sure what to believe.

• @Socially_Uncensored said: Not sure what to believe.

Believe in the heart of the server.

Anyways, I'm sure its the latest then.

http://www.directadmin.com/

It says "Current Version: 1.421 "

• Final update, because I'm not one to keep this going on forever.... But I wanted to give credit where it is due.

While my provider may not have done everything I had hoped...

@onepound was kind enough to give me a few pointers and I was already able to set this up on another box for a friend :-)

So thank you very much onepound