Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Use remote storage for Plex Media Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Use remote storage for Plex Media Server

Hey guys,
So I've been searching around for a decent amount of storage with enough CPU power to transcode video so I was limited to either a dedicated server or some type of more expensive cloud resource pool. The resource pool is nice, but I'm curious if there are any other options. I made a post on the Plex forums to see if there was anyone who has accomplished this since I'm pretty sure I remember Plex Home Theater doing the transcoding in the past. However, this isn't available anymore.
I've created an smb server with Samba and mounted it as a network drive in Windows and added it to my Plex library. I'm pretty sure this isn't a reliable solution - does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• swainswain Member

On my plex cloud setup I run PMS on a decent VPS (4 cores on a decent cpu) and from there I use SSHFS to mount my other storage VPS. It has been running flawlessly and for my whole seedbox, storage, and transcoding server I pay $20 USD a month with just over 2 terabytes of storage.

• @swain said:

Very nice! What OS are you running on the storage machine?

• swainswain Member

@berryboy said:

All my boxes are running ubuntu 14.04 LTS :). This setup has been very stable for the past year and I have nothing but good things to say.

• @swain do you have any experience with ssfhs on windows? im trying to do absolutely no transcoding remotely and only use a vps for storage and run PMS on my desktop or something

• swainswain Member

@berryboy said:
    swain do you have any experience with ssfhs on windows? im trying to do absolutely no transcoding remotely and only use a vps for storage and run PMS on my desktop or something

The last i looked into it was here http://igikorn.com/sshfs-windows-8/

If i remember correctly my buddy was having issues with it

• On Windows use Cyberduck (SFTP)

• @Swain who is your storage VPS with?

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Will contact you about that! :)

• @swain @rmlhhd ive set up plex using mountainduck (cyberducks sister app for mountainf storage) and Plex takes quite a while to start playing media. Swain, how long does your player take to start streaming?

Both of my connections are 1gigabit ports :/

• RizRiz Member

Are they at the same location?

• @Riz said:
    Are they at the same location?

No there's quite a bit of distance between me and the storage server :(

• i will test with my storage box, i have some TB available.

only problem will be connection and distance.

• @dedicados yeah same right now. not reliable enough for me at the moment but maybe i have misconfigured something?

• I found any remote storage solution extremely flakey, always ended up going dedicated with local storage.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • Dedicated with good cpu (b/c encoding) with large storage is not cheap.
    I opted in for cheap cpu with large storage (2TB), using Kodi with mp4 or mkv only (no encoding).

• @gitreset what protocol is your storage server sending media over? http?

• @berryboy, i will try on monday, i have some in US and DE so i can test

• FalzoFalzo Member

@mikeyur said:
    I found any remote storage solution extremely flakey, always ended up going dedicated with local storage.

if you would not want to use sshfs have a look into xnbd-server/xnbd-client.
    for the server whoch offers the storage space any ovz suffices, only the client has to be on kvm to use kernel-module nbd.
    make an image on the ovz storage server and export it. on the client you can easily encrypt that block device with luks and setup any fs ontop. you can even use iptables to restrict access, or glustering more than one device etc.

• @berryboy said:
    gitreset what protocol is your storage server sending media over? http?

ftp, cuz it's just a media box.

• @gitreset interesting. is it responsive?

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

I've got a storage teir dedi running freenas and then a powerful server to run plex.

• @pbgben are you happy with that? might try it out but not sure if my storage server to my home PC has a good enough connection.

• @berryboy said:
    pbgben are you happy with that? might try it out but not sure if my storage server to my home PC has a good enough connection.

My home connection to remote maxes out my home connection.
    Cannot be happier. I've ordered from kimsufi & ovh trying to have the perfect plex + torrent box,
    but it was too costly. Now I am happy with the cost and kodi + torrent box. 0 cpu ram usage.

• @gitreset do you mind if I contact you if i need some help lol i've been messing around for so long - time to get a solution i'm happy with for good

• @berryboy said:
    gitreset do you mind if I contact you if i need some help lol i've been messing around for so long - time to get a solution i'm happy with for good

PM me if you need help.
    It's really easy to set up actually.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Its been good so far, streaming content from Plex in France to New Zealand is smooth.

• Layer03Layer03 Member, Host Rep

I prefer to host it locally via synology nas.