Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How would the Atom c2750 square up for running VPS's?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How would the Atom c2750 square up for running VPS's?

Yo

Online.net is selling their Atom servers for penuts atm and I was wondering whether it would be worth getting one for cheap and running VPS from it.

It's got 8 physical cores and 8GB's of RAM.

How would one of these CPU's handle running 10-20 small VPS's from it (512mb ram, openvz)

Thanks guys

Comments

• alexnjhalexnjh Member
    edited March 2016

I usually don't recommend using atoms for vps but if the vps isn't going to run cpu intensive tasks around 10+ might be possible.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2016

Always depend on the usage done.

Example: We got a Dual E5 node with only 3 VPS and 60-75% use of the CPU, and got some nodes with hundred of VPS with almost 10-15% of CPU use.

• IshaqIshaq Member

When you say running do you mean selling VPS?

Those servers come with a single disk.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

For personal usage, sure, as dev environments. Not for a VPS provider, tho.

• [summer-school]

I think those servers are perfect for selling VPS because you get:

• Premium bandwidth (compared to other providers)

• 8 cores/threads without having to fork out cash for an expensive CPU

• 1TB of storage allowing you to give each customer a healthy slice of HDD space, but you need to explain to customers that backups are their own responsibility

• your own dedicated server that, as you said, costs peanuts

If any customer bothers to complain about the service, then just do what the "big boy" providers do and boot them off without any refund. You're bound to get a replacement customer in no time since your prices will be rock-bottom.

Selling 20x VPSs at 3euro will already make a profit but, for maximum profit, you should aim to dump 30-40 customers per server.

[/summer-school]

Jokes aside, the server (along with many other online.net offerings) is great value for money.

As already mentioned, it's perfect for personal, development or testing environments where data loss would not be a significant issue.

However, if you intend to resell a valuable service to your customers, then it'll be best to at least get something beefier and with (minimum) RAID1.

Thanked by 2zafouhar asf
  • ad0ad0 Member
    edited March 2016

@BeardyUnixGuy said:
    [summer-school]

I think those servers are perfect for selling VPS because you get:

• Premium bandwidth (compared to other providers)

• 8 cores/threads without having to fork out cash for an expensive CPU

• 1TB of storage allowing you to give each customer a healthy slice of HDD space, but you need to explain to customers that backups are their own responsibility

• your own dedicated server that, as you said, costs peanuts

If any customer bothers to complain about the service, then just do what the "big boy" providers do and boot them off without any refund. You're bound to get a replacement customer in no time since your prices will be rock-bottom.

Selling 20x VPSs at 3euro will already make a profit but, for maximum profit, you should aim to dump 30-40 customers per server.

[/summer-school]

Jokes aside, the server (along with many other online.net offerings) is great value for money.

As already mentioned, it's perfect for personal, development or testing environments where data loss would not be a significant issue.

However, if you intend to resell a valuable service to your customers, then it'll be best to at least get something beefier and with (minimum) RAID1.

It not as easy as that you need higher investment just to stay competitive as there are better offer for even lesser price

Maybe he will able to sell about 8vpses the most on that node with spec of: 12GB HDD, 768MB ram, 1Core, 1TB bandwidth Openvz for each costumer $1 month even then still nobody would buy it

Online.net valuable for it network but also keep in mind there are CDN provider

• GVH had an Atom node of similar spec (C2758 I think) with a 1TB SSD for running $5 a year VPS's, it actually worked very well with near 700 VPS's on it all with low use.

If it's for personal use you should be fine, but people do get pissed off if you sell them a VPS run on an atom.

• So they could be sold as development VPS's, with user managed backups? I could go with the SSD instead to get better I/O and offer less storage.

For low usage VPS's it seems like it would be pretty good, pair it up with Virtualizor for a good control panel too.

How much of a difference would there be using KVM / XEN over OpenVZ performance wise?

• Actually there's a pretty good deal on WHT atm for

CPU: Intel Dual Xeon L5420 (2.50 GHZ x 8)
    MEMORY: 16GB ECC DDR2
    HARD DRIVE: 4x 250GB SATA

$15 First Month
    $30 After First Month

or

CPU: Intel Dual Xeon L5420 (2.50 GHZ x 8)
    MEMORY: 16GB ECC DDR2
    HARD DRIVE: 1000GB SATA

$15 First Month
    $30 After First Month

I'd be abke to run backups on the first one in RAID and have a decent CPU + RAM for the VPS's.

What'dya think?

• Ishaq said: Those servers come with a single disk.

and?

• RizRiz Member

Going with the cheapest server you can find to sell VPS's off of is not going to work the greatest.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I spun up OpenVZ on a 1.8Ghz Celeron at home once and used it for a couple years. Ran fine. Granted, once I got past a couple VMs running at the same time, things slowed dramatically, but I didn't have any issues consistently running a few 128MBs VMs on a single-core 1.8Ghz Celeron.

Really OvZ consumes very few resources for virtualization.

Thanked by 2K0673Hz lazyt
  • Depends what you want to use it for, my personal box is a C2750 and other than when emby trys to transcode something it sits fairly idle most of the time.

• @linuxthefish said:
    people do get pissed off if you sell them a VPS run on an atom.

There is a fix for this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cpuinfo_falsification

• sinsin Member

The Atom c2750 has a passmark of 3874 with 8 cores...that's definitely a step above the regular old Atom.

• @raindog308 said:
    I spun up OpenVZ on a 1.8Ghz Celeron at home once and used it for a couple years. Ran fine. Granted, once I got past a couple VMs running at the same time, things slowed dramatically, but I didn't have any issues consistently running a few 128MBs VMs on a single-core 1.8Ghz Celeron.

Really OvZ consumes very few resources for virtualization.

Can you remember the exact number you got to run?

I'm really tempted to grab that 8 core Atom and get some low end VPS's going on it.

I can use the CPU falsification like @elwebmaster said. I'm sure it'll make an okay VPS for something like a basic web / email or Teamspeak etc server. Plus the price will be really low.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

PyroChicken said: Can you remember the exact number you got to run?

Kernel version? No, sorry- this was 2012 or 2013 I think and I was using the current OvZ kernel from openvz.org

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

If you are doing VPS at Online.net - be aware of their IP pricing or do something like NAT.