Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Backing up current server and moving to new one with KVM centos 6..... easy way?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Backing up current server and moving to new one with KVM centos 6..... easy way?

I would like to basicly completely restore my centos 6 system to a new system because my host is not reliable anymore.
Is there a way to do this easily? There will be a new IP set for the server but i guess centos can detect this and i can just set my domains in the right direction again.
But it would be nice if users, mysql, files, IP firewall settings and all that stuff could simply be backupped and copied back to a new server.

Help would be greatly appriciated!

(my host does not allow images to be made)

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Is the old one KVM too?

• yes :)

boot the source and destination server with sysrescuecd or similar and either dd the partitions over or tar.gz the entire filesystem over ssh from the source to the destination, update the networking configs (MAC is important) on the destination prior to booting it and your done.

• i wish i had linux knowledge but i have no idea how that works. i can copy and paste everything but then i will probaly have file permissions not correct and i dont know where the mac address is located.

ok, no offence buy based on your reply you don't even want to try what I suggested.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I'd say you either hire a sys admin to do the migration or ask your new provider, which might be willing to for a fee (or in rare ocassions for free).

good idea^ it would take a host with access to both sides about 30 - 60 minutes assuming you don't have a HUGE amount of data.

• the amount of data is about 11gb, so its not alot of data. i will ask. thanks!

• Well, as AnthonySmith quickly pointed out you could mount sysrescuecd and map devices

Id do it a two step way in order to backup and avoid data loss to another intermediate server
    Then execute the following:
    $ dd if=/dev/sdX | \
    ssh user@destination_server_ip \
    'dd of=sdX.img'

In order to restore a local drive from the image on the server, reverse the command:

$ ssh user@source_server_ip \
    'dd if=sdX.img' | \
    dd of=/dev/sdX

Use md5sum to verify img.

I take no responsibility if your server blows up or your cat dies in the process.