Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How can I manage a lot of VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How can I manage a lot of VPS?

oldburyoldbury Member

I'm planning to buy a lot of VPS in the future most of theme will be linux based and the reset windows.

I'm looking for a tutorial,tools,.... to manage all the VPS. Like installing an app on all of them, restarting, do a specific task.... so I don't have to wast my time doing it one by one in daily bases.

P.S. the VPS will not be from the same provider.

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Puppet, ansible, salt are all good tools for this

• HOSTBD24HOSTBD24 Member
    edited March 2016

Awmusic12635 said: Puppet, ansible, salt are all good tools for this

Draw "E" on them too :)

• @Awmusic12635 said:
    Puppet, ansible, salt are all good tools for this

Thanks, is there other tools that are totally free?

@HOSTBD24 said:

What's "E"?

• I would also recommend Ansible, which is totally free as long as you don't use Ansible Tower, an enterprise-ready webinterface. As long as you don't have hundreds of servers, Ansible CLI will serve you just fine and it is really easy to learn.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

oldbury said: Thanks, is there other tools that are totally free?

They are all free in some form. You only have to pay if you want the enterprise features

• +1 for Ansible, I find that both Salt and Ansible are quite easy to start with compared to Puppet/Chef

• BradBrad Member

I use Ansible across 7 machines, although not intensively. Fairly easy to learn the basics; you can probably do it in a couple of hours.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

oldbury said: Thanks, is there other tools that are totally free?

All of those listed are free (with community editions). Besides Ansible, Puppet, and Salt, there is also Chef.

Personally, I will add my endorsement of Ansible. I use it to manage 24-odd VPSes pretty easily. I have a base role for each OS (Debian 7, Debian 8, CentOS 7) with all my common settings, then add roles (backup server, vpn, web, etc.) as needed.

A little work to setup the ssh keys but really it's very easy to manage. Originally I ran ansible-playbook manually but now I've switched to running it on the master out of cron so nothing drifts very far from my chosen configs.

ansible is probably in your favorite distro's repo, but you might want to just git clone it and run from that, as it is very common in the ansible community.