Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why does OpenVZ overwrite /etc/resolv.conf on reboots?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why does OpenVZ overwrite /etc/resolv.conf on reboots?

pubcrawlerpubcrawler Banned
edited February 2013 in General

Have a nagging issue with a few OpenVZ providers.

For some reason some of the servers like to overwrite my /etc/resolv.conf file when the container gets restarted/rebooted.

Why do some providers do this and how as an end user do I get them to stop such?

Comments

• IshaqIshaq Member
    edited February 2013

Hm.. I think that would be the VPS node setting it.

• Yeah. It's probably trying to set the configured defaults. Do these providers use SolusVM?

• Yeah I believe they all use SolusVM.

• Not sure why they do it.

You chould probably use chattr to stop it being changed...

• That's a frickin idiotic feature if you call it that. Since we cache and munge DNS such breaks stuff.

• @pubcrawler make a cron to overwrite /etc/resolv.conf with your resolvers, or make it run a script to do it on boot.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited February 2013

It is not "some providers", this is done by the OpenVZ startup scripts.
    Probably all providers are doing this, unless they have made some custom modifications.

The script that sets the resolv.conf is in /etc/vz/dists/scripts/set_dns.sh on the node and is installed with the vzctl package.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2013

That's part of how OpenVZ works. It also re-applies the IP address when you stop/start a container. As it does with all variables in it's container configuration file. The host can change it for you.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited February 2013

It's written into OpenVZ's start scripts to give the VM containers the host node's resolv.conf. If you don't want it to do this, you'll have to write a script to replace it on boot.

Since OpenVZ copies it before booting the container, you can add a cron line like:

@reboot cp /root/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf

Regarding this:

@pubcrawler said: That's a frickin idiotic feature if you call it that.

We have ~1200 OpenVZ customers, and so far none of them have contacted us about resolv.conf being overwritten, so I'd say it's a good feature :P

• @Jacob said: @pubcrawler make a cron to overwrite /etc/resolv.conf with your resolvers, or make it run a script to do it on boot.

chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf should stop any changes to it - cron / bootscript seems more complicated than it needs be.

chattr -i should you ever need to change it again

Thanked by 2elijahpaul vimalware
  • Killer recommendations folks.

There might be more providers smacking my resolv.conf file than I know.

Have two servers I eyeball more than others and noticed one of them doing this crap after I rebooted it to test my changes and see that everything comes back to life after restart (good to test from time to time).

@Damian, thanks for "@reboot cp /root/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf"

I've been doing that on one of the servers for months and consider it an ugly hack :) But it works there.

• @prae5, chattr recommendation is awesome. Nice tool I was unaware of!

@Jack said: You could just ask the provider to change it in your conf on HN >_>.

Plus asking them to send any flag other than stop to vzctl is a good way to weed out the "my friend installed solusvm now im a vps provider" ;)

• :) @Jack and @jarland, you guys crack me up. So true.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited February 2013

chattr works fine, we recommend that to customers to.

Simple and easy

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Never knew this until now :P, on reboot it reads from the host node? Weird!

edited February 2013

@eastonch said: Never knew this until now :P, on reboot it reads from the host node? Weird!

Yeah, basically (and correct me if I'm wrong about the word "every"), it reapplies every value in the config file for that container (/etc/vz/ctid.conf) when the container is booted. This is also why your host may change something and it not stick, because they forgot the "--save" flag that saves changes to the config file (or you can just edit it directly).

• Yeah, chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf is part of my setup script. Never had a problem with it.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited February 2013

@prae5 said: chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf should stop any changes to it

What if at some point after some upgrade your container will start to fail to boot-up/reboot/migrate, because the HN scripts will suddenly decide that being unable to overwrite resolv.conf is now a fatal error.

@Jack said: You could just ask the provider to change it in your conf on HN >_>.

Personally I prefer to rely on the providers' support as little as possible, and besides -- changing some non-trivial OpenVZ thing just for you, when you have perfectly working ways to fix this yourself, sounds like something capricious and unreasonable.

@Damian said: We have ~1200 OpenVZ customers, and so far none of them have contacted us about resolv.conf being overwritten

If it's mildly annoying to some, and not noticed by others, can you really say it's something good.

My solutions are
    1) custom script called from /etc/rc.local
    2) buying less or none OpenVZ, and more Xen/KVM

• Good points @rm_.

I might stick with my stashing of good files with another name and copy them at reboot to right place, just to be safe.

Find there is so much custom and glue in my VPS that easy to create ugly situation and have to debug later because I failed to document enough.

• @Jack Right. Thanks :)

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited February 2013

@rm_ said: 1) custom script called from /etc/rc.local

Any specific reason for additional work with "custom script" '+ rc.local entry (ie. cp /etc/resolve.conf.mine /etc/resolv.conf" or something like that most likely) instead only simple rc.local entry (ie. echo 'nameserver 8.8.8.8' > /etc/resolv.conf) ?

• That can/will work also @Spirit :)

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited February 2013

@pubcrawler just found :) It's amazing how fast time flies...

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/8184#Comment_8184

• Deja deja vue! @Spirit.

I wish the search function on here actually worked. I know the Google route to search it, blah, I'd rather not.