Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to shift data from one server to other server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to shift data from one server to other server

I want to learn how to shift data from one server to other server. what are methods and how to shift data using sftp?? I want step by step tutorial link or video of same.. please help

Comments

• TheOnlyDKTheOnlyDK Member
    edited February 2016

man sftp

get put, what else is there?

• david_Wdavid_W Member
    edited February 2016

Check out rsync man page.

rsync -avP /sourcePath remoteUser@remoteHost:/remotePath

• Use a bit bucket

• zong11zong11 Member
    edited February 2016

i want tutorial link dears

• You can either use SCP or rsync:

rsync -avP /sourcePath remoteUser@remoteHost:/remotePath

scp file your_username@remotehost:/some/remote/directory

• zong11zong11 Member
    edited February 2016

If i m having old server ip 1.2.3.4 and in that xyz.com is a website and usernme = [email protected] and path is /home/data/xyz.com
    Now

i have to transfer (xyz.com) to new server having ip 5.6.7.8 and usernme = [email protected] and path is /home/new/xyz.com

Now what i can put a commnd in old servers putty and new servers putty?? please tell me...

I am new in server handling and wanted to learn this thing so please help me...

• knopix80knopix80 Member
    edited February 2016

@zong11 said:
    If i m having old server ip 1.2.3.4 and in that xyz.com is a website and usernme = [email protected] and path is /home/data/xyz.com
    Now

i have to transfer (xyz.com) to new server having ip 5.6.7.8 and usernme = [email protected] and path is /home/new/xyz.com

Now what i can put a commnd in old servers putty and new servers putty?? please tell me...

I am new in server handling and wanted to learn this thing so please help me...

As @andreamada said, you can use either rsync / scp.

• @knopix80 i dont know how to use that dear.. please expain me using my example please

• @zong11 said:
    knopix80 i dont know how to use that dear.. please expain me using my example please

E.g.
    You're in old server : scp /home/data/xyz.com [email protected]:/home/new/xyz.com

• Archive all data into a tarball (using tar command ) then move the tarball to the other server using sftp.
    There are many other ways to do that actually.

• zong11zong11 Member
    edited February 2016

@knopix80 replies as permission denied... [ http://imgur.com/WJxMAJu ]

• @farsighter tell me easy method dear

• @zong11 said:
    knopix80 replies as permission denied... [ http://imgur.com/WJxMAJu ]

Pls check:
    1. Did u put the right password ?
    2. Are u have any permission to do remote via port 22/ssh?

• zong11zong11 Member
    edited February 2016

@knopix80 yes password is correct and tell me permissions should be 777 or what?? Currently permission of domain is 755 [domain which is to be shifted 755]

• 755 is fine. Do u have any permission for doing ssh with the user in new server ?

Thanked by 1zong11
  • zong11zong11 Member
    edited February 2016

@knopix80 i dont know how to check that ?? tell me command to enable permissions on new server

• BeardyUnixGuyBeardyUnixGuy Member
    edited February 2016

@zong11, I'm unsure how urgent this data migration is to you but, considering that you're battling to learn+use tools like scp/sftp/rsync, I highly suggest that you simply get (pay?) someone technical to perform the move for you.

While you could simply get someone off fiver, I wouldn't advise it.

• zong11zong11 Member
    edited February 2016

@BeardyUnixGuy i want to learn this thing... scp/sftp/rsync, which is easy method for newbee??

• BochiBochi Member
    edited February 2016

@zong11 said:
    scp/sftp/rsync, which is easy method for newbee??

For the usage scenario (one time transfer) you are heading to in combination with your level of knowledge I would say: There is pretty much no difference (for the others: sure there is one!), even the syntax is almost identical for that task.

• zong11 said: permissions should be 777 or what?? Currently permission of domain is 755 [domain which is to be shifted 755]

If the permissions are 755/777 on .ssh there is your possible problem ~userdir/.ssh should be 700 ~userdir/.ssh/authorized_keys should be 600

If you are able to access with the password via ssh, do that and check the permissions on your .ssh folder

• On the new server, the command line is basically,

rsync OLD_USER@OLD_SERVER:/home/OLD_FILE_PLACE /home/NEW_FILE_PLACE -a

The following is just an example, change according to your own situation.

cd /home/newplace
    rsync [email protected]:/home/website/xyz.com ./ -a

Make sure on the new server your user account has the write permission in the new place.

And if you really really can't handle it, pay some dollars and find someone to handle it for you are much easier and safer.