Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Development Servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Development Servers

24khost24khost Member
edited January 2013 in Help

So I am building a lack rack and am going to work on learning the openvz portion of stuff so that I am not just the marketing guy of my company. So that maybe I might learn a little more and can create my own panel and such. For creating a server to work with do I need dual cores minimum? These are just test beds.

Comments

• Just for testing, you don't need multiple cores.

• so p4's will work find for deploying multiple vm's? I am not the technical guy, but figure no time better than the present to figure this part out. At least then I am able to fix things when they break. And not dependent on my tech's.

• Since it is a development server, you don't need anything fency. Good old pentium laptop will server your need.

• MitchellMitchell Member
    edited January 2013

@24khost said: so p4's will work find for deploying multiple vm's?

First "rule": OpenVZ are containers, not actually virtual machines, rather isolated machines.

Because not much is emulated but rather faked it uses nearly no CPU. Single core 1.7Ghz will run smooth with several containers.

• Alright I can pick p4 racks up for dirt cheap so I guess I will be getting some of these beauties.

@Mitchell I do understand they are containers. That much I do know just do have the technical knowledge of setting everything up.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited January 2013

I hope that means for free.

@24khost said: p4 racks up for dirt cheap

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

@Jacob said: I hope that means for free.

An Atom would be better imo

• I don't know about free. Unless some one wants to ship me 3 or 4 of them.

• @dominicl said: An Atom would be better imo

[sarcasm] An E3-1270v2 would be better [/sarcasm]

Don't be so WHT...

• Go to your local hardware / computer shop and ask, or search gumtree and find a local seller.

@24khost said: ship me 3 or 4 of them.

Shipping will cost more than a P4 node altogether, lol

• that was the whole point of my comment!

• WOW Never thought that these types of servers would still be going for a fortune. lowest I found a p4 with 1gb of ram and no drives was 55.00 without shipping.

• MitchellMitchell Member
    edited January 2013

@24khost said: WOW Never thought that these types of servers would still be going for a fortune. lowest I found a p4 with 1gb of ram and no drives was 55.00 without shipping.

Nah, you pay for the rackmount case ;-)

Edit:
    that's actually quite a good price IF you get mobo, some RAM, PSU and case.

• I'd strongly advise getting an atom. It's a worthwhile investment.

• Don't even waste the money on them - they eat power.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2013

I've got an Intel Atom 230 (single core 1.6GHz) that was running OpenVZ in our cabinet for monitoring and such. Go for a D525 (dual core, 4 threads) if you can, they use barely any power.

Also keep in mind for the lackracks lighter is better once you start stacking servers onto the wooden legs so look for smaller rackmount cases (can the lackrack even hold rails?).

• Get an N2800 instead of the D525 if possible - it is even faster and better.

@KuJoe said: I've got an Intel Atom 230 (single core 1.6GHz) that was running OpenVZ in our cabinet for monitoring and such.

Thinking of getting one myself. How much do you think it would cost for an Atom server?

• I was just looking for the cheap side of things for at home playing. wanted to get 2 or 3 for figuring out the HA replication and such.

• wow atom servers are $215 shipped. I gotta be able to find servers for $25-$30 for playing with.

• @24khost said: wow atom servers are $215 shipped. I gotta be able to find servers for $25-$30 for playing with.

aha, I can give you a old atom box, motherboard has a bent prong though, no os loaded on it. You'd have to pay for shipping if you'd want one.

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited January 2013

@24khost

If you need a source for some cheap rackmount servers, you could check with Asset Recovery Corp over in St. Paul. I've gotten some really good deals on older hardware from them.

Cadan Computers in Eagan does asset recovery also and I have picked up stuff from them in the past.

• Seriously go get a dual L5420 with 16 GB of RAM and 4x1TB they're $280 shipped on ebay and they'll be atleast an OK investment.

• thanks @Microlinux I will check with them.

• herbyscrubherbyscrub Member
    edited February 2013

An old SSD would be beneficial for a test bed like this. There's not really all that much to learn with OpenVZ if you're already proficient with Linux.

You can do all of this in a VM and your uptodate laptop probably has more power than any used server.