Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you use for log aggregation/ search?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you use for log aggregation/ search?

vimalwarevimalware Member
edited February 2016 in General

What does everyone use, if you aggregate, store, and search syslog and nginx logs, in a central location?

I'm seeing a lot of action in this space for self-hosted.

Edit: More importantly, I'm trying to remind everyone of the cool things we can still do, with virtualized servers and storage.

Webpages and databases aren't the Beginning and the End.

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

At work, splunk. It's fantastic and insanely expensive.

Thanked by 1ehab
  • Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2016

graylog is what we use

Thanked by 2ehab telephone
  • @Awmusic12635 said:
    graylog is what we use

I tried spinning that up on a 2 core dediserve SSD instance and saw constant Load of 1.6 just sitting there before I piped any data to it.

I killed it after 3 hrs because I got nervous about being a bad neighbour on KVM.

Will try again on online.net dedi.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

vimalware said: I tried spinning that up on a 2 core dediserve SSD instance and saw constant Load of 1.6 just sitting there before I piped any data to it.

This has about 20-30 servers feeding into it:

00:32:37 up 46 days, 17:59, 0 users, load average: 0.62, 0.62, 0.62

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • ELK stack, or Nagios Log Server if you need a bit more functionality / ease of use / support. NLS is free for up to 500M of data a day though which might work out for you.

Thanked by 2Shade vimalware
  • Riz said: ELK stack

ELK is perfect, I have some massive ElasticSearch clusters feeding in terrabytes of log data per day.

Flawless!

• elastic logstash

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

ELK, I wouldnt go as far as to say its perfect though.

I have found Kibana 3+ to need alot of work.

• @vimalware said:
    Will try again on online.net dedi.

Did you open a ticket at the time, we could have checked it out for you? Launches (like at the moment) tend to see hundreds of new VMs kicking the blades hard with 'benchmarks' :)

• @dediserve said:
    Did you open a ticket at the time, we could have checked it out for you? Launches (like at the moment) tend to see hundreds of new VMs kicking the blades hard with 'benchmarks' :)

Nah, this was back in January on a trusty old Amsterdam kvm.

I just put it down to java being java. Couldn't have been iowait; 25k-40k iops tells me that much.

• ELK!

• @vimalware said:
    I just put it down to java being java. Couldn't have been iowait; 25k-40k iops tells me that much.

Ahh, in that case, no issues - you're free to max / kill your cores all day on our clouds.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @dediserve said:
    Ahh, in that case, no issues - you're free to max / kill your cores all day on our clouds.

That's not been my experience with Dediserve though.. Suspended for using "suspicious" CPU.

Never had any issues with Graylog on RamNode though, faster clock speed as well.

• SplitIce said: ELK, I wouldnt go as far as to say its perfect though.

Its been great, we were running Splunk and that was just getting more and more expensive as the days go past.

ELK (we don't use Kibana FYI) gives us the ability to add nodes, rebalance the ElasticSearch cluster out and just keep scaling.

We are throwing among other things: syslog, text cdr, telemetry and it just handles it. We have about 2 years of data in there right now and performance is excellent, despite the extreme data bloat.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @XNQ said:
    Never had any issues with Graylog on RamNode though, faster clock speed as well.

We e never suspended anyone for core usage. Unless there was another issue with terms or AUP? Feel free to pm me a ticket Id?

Our E5-2660v2's out perform most things in real world usage.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

For search, grep and zgrep. For central location, rsync.

It feels like I'm old school, really I just love basic things and bash scripting ;)

• pechspilzpechspilz Member
    edited February 2016

I'm using filebeat, topbeat and packetbeat to log-forward directly to elasticsearch and visualize in Kibana 4. Easy to set up and easy on the resources of the log forwarding server.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Grep mostly

• Custom logcheck in combination with a dedicated log server.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

logRhythm is amazing :)

https://logrhythm.com/

Thanked by 1ehab
  • Orchestrate

• ELK, but soon having problem to scale.

Finally adding a messaging queue cluster to solve the issue.

Thanked by 1vimalware